Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Best TP to get to New Zealand? In either Club or First

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best TP to get to New Zealand? In either Club or First

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2019, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Avios
Smile Best TP to get to New Zealand? In either Club or First

HI I need to fly to Auckland next year and thought it’s an ideal way to max out TP ...I don’t mind multiple connections (within reason!).
What routing would anyone suggest to do this?
I am happy to start from any EU point or from TLV which gives 140 in Club straight away!

Any ideas from people who have done this would be great!

Thank you in advance
Old Nov 27, 2019, 10:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum Chantal16, it's good to see you here and I hope we will see more of you in the future.

What you are trying to do here is to have as many 2,000 mile hops as possible, since that's what triggers the 140 TP. TLV-LHR is an example of an exception to that. You also need to bear in mind that fares from Norway and Sweden are often very competitive, sometimes Italy and Greece too. gcmap.com will help you work out if you are over 2000 miles on a route.

In practical terms it could be something like TLV-LHR-DEL-KUL-SYD-AKL, which keeps you not too far off a well beaten track but you may struggle to get a ticket for that. The obvious way around that is some of the oneworld RTW tickets, for which the oneworld forum is a better guide.

More finicky would be using Sri Lankan or S7 into the mix.
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Chantal16
HI I need to fly to Auckland next year and thought it’s an ideal way to max out TP ...I don’t mind multiple connections (within reason!).
What routing would anyone suggest to do this?
I am happy to start from any EU point or from TLV which gives 140 in Club straight away!

Any ideas from people who have done this would be great!
OW airlines that fly into AKL are QF, CX, MH & QR from AU/Asia/ME, and AA & LA from the east (Americas).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auckland_Airport
Great Circle Mapper
A few more OW airlines into Australia:- BA, UL & JP
BA fly LHR-SIN-SYD. If you change planes/flight numbers at SIN you will get more TP's

All on 1 ticket/PNR will limit options that can be ticketed.
If separate tickets many more options will open up, with the risk of missing the onwards flights (not connections).

Will be a balance of cost vs time.
Other airlines will be cheaper than OW. Asian based airline will likely have the best pricing
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 27, 2019 at 11:52 am
Old Nov 27, 2019, 12:02 pm

If you can find the flights in your window its possible to book Emirates/Qantas with 2 stops to Sydney - Dubai and Singapore from Stockholm . Im flying to Sydney in May - LHR-ARN-DXB-SIN-SYD. If your desperate for tp to Auckland you could route via Nadi in Fiji or just hop over on Qantas direct.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Would EK metal, QF code get you the BA points?
Otherwise it is the QF LHR-SIN flight, then SIN-SYD-AKL.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CHCflyer
Yes. https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...-avios/flights
At a glance
  • Included: Qantas, QantasLink and Jetconnect (QF).
  • Minimum Avios: no minimum.
  • Avios tier bonus? No.
  • Collect Tier Points? Yes (discount economy flights may earn fewer Tier Points depending on the fare purchased).

Executive Club Members can collect Avios on:
  • Flights marketed and operated by Qantas or Qantas Airlines affiliates under the QF designated code.
  • Flights marketed by Qantas but operated by Jetstar booked as oneworld fare in L class only.
  • Flights marketed by Qantas or Qantas Airlines affiliates and operated by Qantas, a Qantas affiliate, BA, another oneworld carrier, or another third party under a codeshare agreement.
Where to credit Emirates / Qantas flights
Qantas/Emirates, Avios - Tier points
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 1:06 pm
McG

Programs: BAEC
Long way would be something like TLV-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL-SYD-AKL
TTmex and BA or bust like this.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 1:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by McG
Long way would be something like TLV-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL-SYD-AKL
That was my thought. But throw in Phoenix or something like that.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
That was my thought. But throw in Phoenix or something like that.
I think it depends on the OP's definition of 'within reason'
trooper and argonath like this.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
Originally Posted by CHCflyer
Absolutely..I did DUB/DXB/SYD return in J in August /September on EK metal with QF flight numbers. 600TP in the bag. 4 Short BA flights since and that is silver.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 4:06 pm

So long as you ticket on Qantas with QF flight numbers you get the tp/avios - same for the Fiji air flights if OP really likes flying - though melbourne is better for Nadi as its 140tp; and its only 40 from Sydney.
blurt91 likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 2:18 am

Programs: BA
It's not the best, but when I did this route I did a CE flight to Helisnki for positioning. I wasn't doing a full tier point journey, but I had a good fare from Helsinki which was the primary driver. This was a few years ago, but it was a pretty good journey without too much downtime hanging around in lounges.

LHR - HEL
HEL - DOH - SYD - AUK on a Qatar ticket
Old Nov 28, 2019, 2:36 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by u07ch
So long as you ticket on Qantas with QF flight numbers you get the tp/avios - same for the Fiji air flights if OP really likes flying - though melbourne is better for Nadi as its 140tp; and its only 40 from Sydney.
The OP won't get TPs on Fiji unless booked under a BA code. They aren't full One World. They are One World connect.
BA or bust likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 2:38 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
The easiest to find is usually going to be X-HEL-LHR-HKG-PER-SYD-AKL for 1080TP return (I think... didn't double check). Keep your eyes peeled for a good CX ex-EU fare, usually around 2000 GBP
Thysk likes this.

Last edited by thebigben; Nov 28, 2019 at 3:55 am
Old Nov 28, 2019, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikkelErikson
It's not the best, but when I did this route I did a CE flight to Helisnki for positioning. I wasn't doing a full tier point journey, but I had a good fare from Helsinki which was the primary driver. This was a few years ago, but it was a pretty good journey without too much downtime hanging around in lounges.
LHR - HEL
HEL - DOH - SYD - AUK on a Qatar ticket
There are more direct ways to AUK
Route--> Great Circle Mapper
MikkelErikson likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.