FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   No T5 satellite train this morning (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1997017-no-t5-satellite-train-morning.html)

riku2 Nov 26, 2019 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by RobDBA (Post 31778924)
So it's longer trains that they are preparing for, or an upgraded track system to allow for more trains to leave more often?

perhaps they will have separate coaches for arriving and departing passengers like MUC and FRA and so there is no need for the train to wait at the end of each run with a tape of "please wait, security checks" playing.

ISTFlyer Nov 26, 2019 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas (Post 31778136)
At least you don't need gym membership if you use IST a lot!

:D

By the way, I generally walk to/from the satellite buildings in LHR so it's not a big deal for me.
And, if I'm not wrong, the FIDS would display "Go to B gates" or "Go to C gates" at least 1h30min before scheduled departure time.
Also, if you're a LHR expert, you would know how to learn your departure gate before the FIDS post it.

corporate-wage-slave Nov 26, 2019 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer (Post 31779687)
And, if I'm not wrong, the FIDS would display "Go to B gates" or "Go to C gates" at least 1h30min before scheduled departure time.

FIDS at LHR shows the exact B and C gates at 70 minutes before travel, it can be a bit less on some shorthauls but that's usually due to a last minute change of plan. FIDS (or rather IDAHO) will show "will depart from B / C" as soon as the aircraft concerned is docked at the relevant terminal, which in the case of longhaul can be a few hours before departure, 2 - 3 hours is fairly typical.

testycal Nov 26, 2019 3:15 pm

Tunnels almost romantic

Used the tunnels to exercise from A to C for fun and back at a jogging clip...received an odd stare from the other person walking and no stare from the couple making out near the elevators at B gate.

GUWonder Nov 27, 2019 1:55 am

Originally Posted by sxc (Post 31777950)
Or maybe you’ll get to the gates faster by walking...

If only.

My empathy for all those BA passengers traveling with young kids who weren't allowed to travel with strollers for gate-delivery/airside-use at LHR.

PUCCI GALORE Nov 27, 2019 7:36 am

The train was packed yesterday. I thought that it was a very show. We arrived just a the thing arrived. I was even less impressed at Gate B42 where you walk all down a long jetway then downstairs into the rain and round the corner to get on a bus. The bus then literall went no more than 100 meters so that we could clamber up into the aircraft. Why can’t they move aircraft onto a jetway? There seemed to plenty available. So underwhelmed !

jwhite9185 Nov 27, 2019 10:39 am

I arrived at T5C at just after 6am yesterday. It was running, but seemed to be waiting a lot longer than usual. Didn't seem much busier though?

Gshumway Nov 27, 2019 6:03 pm

So my wife went today through T5 and they told her she needs a reservation for the train? ...?

msm2000uk Nov 27, 2019 11:31 pm

Lengthy waits from C gates this morning.

Walkway took me 6m12secs, and I'm no athlete!

M

itsmeitisss Nov 28, 2019 2:53 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 31779786)
FIDS at LHR shows the exact B and C gates at 70 minutes before travel, it can be a bit less on some shorthauls but that's usually due to a last minute change of plan. FIDS (or rather IDAHO) will show "will depart from B / C" as soon as the aircraft concerned is docked at the relevant terminal, which in the case of longhaul can be a few hours before departure, 2 - 3 hours is fairly typical.

FIDS?

corporate-wage-slave Nov 28, 2019 2:57 am

Originally Posted by itsmeitisss (Post 31784746)
FIDS?

Flight Information Display System, that's a global term for the screen with all the flights on it, the gates and status of boarding. T5's own version (which is relatively sophisticated) is known as IDAHO, though that is actually the flight database that holds and processes the relevant information.

msm2000uk Nov 28, 2019 3:37 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 31784748)
Flight Information Display System, that's a global term for the screen with all the flights on it, the gates and status of boarding. T5's own version (which is relatively sophisticated) is known as IDAHO, though that is actually the flight database that holds and processes the relevant information.

More acronyms...just what FT needs :D

M

skipness1E Nov 28, 2019 6:16 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE (Post 31782110)
The train was packed yesterday. I thought that it was a very show. We arrived just a the thing arrived. I was even less impressed at Gate B42 where you walk all down a long jetway then downstairs into the rain and round the corner to get on a bus. The bus then literall went no more than 100 meters so that we could clamber up into the aircraft. Why can’t they move aircraft onto a jetway? There seemed to plenty available. So underwhelmed !

There’s is a jetway on B42, I imagine it must be broken? But they tend to use non jetway gates if the aircraft has a long layover and would be towed later or is done for the day.

PUCCI GALORE Nov 28, 2019 6:26 am

Originally Posted by skipness1E (Post 31785064)
There’s is a jetway on B42, I imagine it must be broken? But they tend to use non jetway gates if the aircraft has a long layover and would be towed later or is done for the day.

You are quite correct. The aircraft had come in the day before from Beijing and might even have gone into a hanger overnight. Indeed we walked down the jetway of B42 and there was another 787 parked there. We had to clamber down step and walk around te corner to get in this wretched bus.

it gives such a bad impression.

fruitcage Nov 28, 2019 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Gshumway (Post 31783978)
So my wife went today through T5 and they told her she needs a reservation for the train? ...?

Must be some other train. The transit train between terminals 5A, 5B and 5C is just a light shuttle - no tickets, no reservations, and very few seats. (When it's running of course)