FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   No T5 satellite train this morning (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1997017-no-t5-satellite-train-morning.html)

Airprox Nov 26, 2019 3:56 am

No T5 satellite train this morning

As has been discussed on here in a few places, one half of the T5 satellite train system is being upgraded currently so they are only running one train.

Well this morning the entire thing has failed, so there are zero trains running, and everyone has to walk via the tunnel.

Leave extra time to get out to the B or particularly C gates.

sxc Nov 26, 2019 4:05 am

Or maybe you’ll get to the gates faster by walking...

LBA_flyer Nov 26, 2019 4:07 am

I always walk anyway, the relative solitude is quite refreshing in an airport environment. Appreciate people with limited mobility etc will be impacted by this though so hopefully it is rectified soon.

aidy Nov 26, 2019 4:18 am

thats sad i love the peace and quiet in the tunnels...

BOH Nov 26, 2019 4:22 am

Originally Posted by LBA_flyer (Post 31777951)
I always walk anyway, the relative solitude is quite refreshing in an airport environment. Appreciate people with limited mobility etc will be impacted by this though so hopefully it is rectified soon.

I tend to walk on the inbound to LHR but it seems there is often not enough time on departure? Generally it seems LHR gates are only announced 45-50 minutes prior to departure time which leaves little time to walk?

HighwayToHEL Nov 26, 2019 4:25 am

I walked A to C last week and yes, it's nice and refreshing, there was no-one else in the tunnel at all. Almost eerie.

ajeleonard Nov 26, 2019 4:29 am

Originally Posted by BOH (Post 31777978)
I tend to walk on the inbound to LHR but it seems there is often not enough time on departure? Generally it seems LHR gates are only announced 45-50 minutes prior to departure time which leaves little time to walk?

At "London speed" it's only 5 minutes to B and 10 minutes to C. I find the signposted times massively overstate it

ratypus Nov 26, 2019 4:33 am

but a bit of a problem for those with mobility issues (elderly, small children etc.) - wouldn't fancy a 'surprise' walk to the C Gates in those circumstances

LBA_flyer Nov 26, 2019 4:33 am

Originally Posted by BOH (Post 31777978)

I'm generally connecting to/from a long haul which, with a reasonable degree of certainty always depart from B or C gates so I normally head to the B lounge anyways whilst keeping a careful eye on the departure boards for any changes in the run up to departure.

JAXBA Nov 26, 2019 4:50 am

Originally Posted by ajeleonard (Post 31777993)
At "London speed" it's only 5 minutes to B and 10 minutes to C. I find the signposted times massively overstate it

While I walk at “Concorde” speed, my in-laws’ max speed is infuriatingly close to “stall!”

*sigh*

Tiffywren Nov 26, 2019 4:53 am

I quite like a walk through the tunnels, although it can feel a bit spooky when you're the only one down there...

SWISSBOBBY Nov 26, 2019 4:58 am

I am another person in favour of the walk... especially when I am going the be sitting for the next 7 8 9 10 ... hours.

vintagepilot Nov 26, 2019 5:03 am

I like to walk after being cooped up. Last weekend I ambled back from a SH B gate arrival, at a slow pace but using the travelators, and popped up with another walker ahead of anyone off the transit. Had the e-gates to ourselves.

Dambus Nov 26, 2019 5:04 am

Sounds like a IACGMOOH camp justifying why rice and beans was the better option all along!

:)

Oxon Flyer Nov 26, 2019 5:12 am

5 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by ajeleonard (Post 31777993)

Well yes, but 10 minutes from A to C, including elevators/escalators at either end is a 'fair lick' and not at all representative of the time taken by your typical airport user, let alone those encumbered by luggage, children, high heels or indeed just an inability to go any faster than normal walking pace.

Todays useless bit of information is that it's 809m terminal to terminal, plus allowances for escalators.