No T5 satellite train this morning

Old Nov 26, 19, 4:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
No T5 satellite train this morning

As has been discussed on here in a few places, one half of the T5 satellite train system is being upgraded currently so they are only running one train.

Well this morning the entire thing has failed, so there are zero trains running, and everyone has to walk via the tunnel.

Leave extra time to get out to the B or particularly C gates.
Old Nov 26, 19, 5:05 am
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Gold, Hyatt Glob
Or maybe you’ll get to the gates faster by walking...
Old Nov 26, 19, 5:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Silver,IHG Gold
I always walk anyway, the relative solitude is quite refreshing in an airport environment. Appreciate people with limited mobility etc will be impacted by this though so hopefully it is rectified soon.
Old Nov 26, 19, 5:18 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
thats sad i love the peace and quiet in the tunnels...
Cradders, Tocsin, JamieABZ and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 26, 19, 5:22 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by LBA_flyer View Post
I always walk anyway, the relative solitude is quite refreshing in an airport environment. Appreciate people with limited mobility etc will be impacted by this though so hopefully it is rectified soon.
I tend to walk on the inbound to LHR but it seems there is often not enough time on departure? Generally it seems LHR gates are only announced 45-50 minutes prior to departure time which leaves little time to walk?
Old Nov 26, 19, 5:25 am

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I walked A to C last week and yes, it's nice and refreshing, there was no-one else in the tunnel at all. Almost eerie.
BAECAddict likes this.
Old Nov 26, 19, 5:29 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by BOH View Post
I tend to walk on the inbound to LHR but it seems there is often not enough time on departure? Generally it seems LHR gates are only announced 45-50 minutes prior to departure time which leaves little time to walk?
At "London speed" it's only 5 minutes to B and 10 minutes to C. I find the signposted times massively overstate it
Old Nov 26, 19, 5:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
but a bit of a problem for those with mobility issues (elderly, small children etc.) - wouldn't fancy a 'surprise' walk to the C Gates in those circumstances
Old Nov 26, 19, 5:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Silver,IHG Gold
Originally Posted by BOH View Post
I'm generally connecting to/from a long haul which, with a reasonable degree of certainty always depart from B or C gates so I normally head to the B lounge anyways whilst keeping a careful eye on the departure boards for any changes in the run up to departure.
Old Nov 26, 19, 5:50 am

Programs: Former BA/AA/CP/LY employee, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Platinum, Samsung Platinum
Originally Posted by ajeleonard View Post
At "London speed" it's only 5 minutes to B and 10 minutes to C. I find the signposted times massively overstate it
While I walk at “Concorde” speed, my in-laws’ max speed is infuriatingly close to “stall!”

*sigh*
Old Nov 26, 19, 5:53 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
I quite like a walk through the tunnels, although it can feel a bit spooky when you're the only one down there...
SWISSBOBBY likes this.
Old Nov 26, 19, 5:58 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
I am another person in favour of the walk... especially when I am going the be sitting for the next 7 8 9 10 ... hours.
Dubliner1 likes this.
Old Nov 26, 19, 6:03 am

Programs: BA Gold
I like to walk after being cooped up. Last weekend I ambled back from a SH B gate arrival, at a slow pace but using the travelators, and popped up with another walker ahead of anyone off the transit. Had the e-gates to ourselves.

Last edited by vintagepilot; Nov 26, 19 at 6:41 am
Old Nov 26, 19, 6:04 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Sounds like a IACGMOOH camp justifying why rice and beans was the better option all along!

Old Nov 26, 19, 6:12 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by ajeleonard View Post
Well yes, but 10 minutes from A to C, including elevators/escalators at either end is a 'fair lick' and not at all representative of the time taken by your typical airport user, let alone those encumbered by luggage, children, high heels or indeed just an inability to go any faster than normal walking pace.

Todays useless bit of information is that it's 809m terminal to terminal, plus allowances for escalators.
Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Search Engine: