Wiki Posts
Search

BA Bronze Useless?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2019, 1:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Gold
BA Bronze Useless?

I've managed to qualify for BA Bronze again for the second time just flying economy - I can't help but feel that this tier is a bit useless, particularly compared to some other FF programmes.

Off the top of my head: In OW, CXMP Silver and QRPC Silver both offer lounge access when flying them, and QRPC offers 10kg extra baggage too. I think AA Ruby at least offers extra baggage on domestic fares. In Skyteam, DL/AF/KLM Silver gives extra baggage too.

I've only credited my flights to BA because I've been collecting Avios for a few years now but I can't help but feel that my years at bronze have been wasted by not crediting to CXMP or QRPC as I flew those two airlines quite a lot in the years that I made ruby.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 1:55 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
TBH, it is fairly useless although the extra miles come in handy for people flying on cheapest economy, limited seat selection and priority boarding are noticeable, and business class check in can be a lifesaver when running tight on time. That said, silver is a world away in terms of benefits and likely to be worth stretching for for anyone in the upper half of the bronze TPs.

The other question would be - would you have earned ruby or anything at all if crediting to another programme?
Old Nov 21, 2019, 1:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Not as useless as QF Silver. How about free seat assignment within 7 days?
Old Nov 21, 2019, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
According to the handful displaying their tags at TPA on Saturday and freely boarding WTP with group 1, I'd say it's a great benefit
GaxxyFlyer, ENTP, tynmar and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Free seat assignment 7 days out.

Group 3 boarding, which is particularly valuable when they simply call groups 1-3 all at once...

However if the OP thinks they would gain OWS from the same travel patterns, then they should be abandoning BAEC for the ffp that hands out OWS so easily...
orbitmic likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 2:03 am

Mr W makes bronze most years and for someone that doesn't do a lot of paid flying, I think the benefits are actually OK. The advance seating choice is good, as most Y pax don't pay for seats so there's usually decent choice at 7 days out. Priority boarding can be useful (although it's a bit of a lottery these days) too.

I must admit I haven't considered other OW schemes for him. If they offer lounge access at that level then maybe he should credit there. I'll check that out.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Yeah, that's absolutely true - I did forget about the 7 days seat selection: that is very useful. That said, I think every other programme has that (or something similar too). I think I probably would've been able to qualify for CXMP and QRPC if I credited there instead.

I guess I'm whinging about the fact that a lot of FFPs are starting to make the Ruby level a bit more half way between nothing and Sapphire, similar to what they did with the Sapphire tier a few years ago (e.g. give Sapphires extra baggage, which was only for emeralds back then).
Old Nov 21, 2019, 2:17 am

Programs: BA Silver
Considering you can reach bronze with one BA Holiday flying CE from GLA to Greece and 2 ~£60 one way upgrades to London, free seat selection a week out, group 3 boarding and business class check in seems a pretty fair return.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 2:31 am
Original Poster

That's pretty good actually - I didn't consider that BA status could be achieved like that. Mine's been done by ~15 long haul econ segments so I've felt like I've somewhat felt like I've worked for mine!
dddc and cjb666 like this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 2:43 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by lels
That's pretty good actually - I didn't consider that BA status could be achieved like that. Mine's been done by ~15 long haul econ segments so I've felt like I've somewhat felt like I've worked for mine!
On the upside, if you add in a couple of Club Europe return flights, you could get to Silver. Whether or not it's worth it is up to you but with long haul economy, the avios bonus does add up!
Old Nov 21, 2019, 2:43 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
I think stating it is useless is a bit OTT. I was Bronze for a year about 4 years ago (from 10 years previous as a lowly Blue) I really, REALLY valued the free seat selection from 7 days out (usually bagging a SH exit seat every time) and the Business Class check-in facility.

Believe me, when you arrive at an outstation to check your bag in and you see the standard queue being some 40-50 plus pax long but only 4-5 pax in the Business Class line you really appreciate the Bronze level

Agreed though, Silver is the really valuable first level tier because of the lounge access. Having been Gold for 2 years now, personally I don't see too much difference between Gold and Silver - it is the difference between Bronze and Silver that is the valuable big step IMHO.
Jimmie76 and adrianlondon like this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 2:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Mrs Wilsnunn has been bronze for the past few years and whilst she does get frustrated with how little she gets compared to me with Silver (she would especially like additional baggage allowance), she really appreciates the business class check in as when travelling on a larger flight such as an A380, there are so many people queueing for check in.

She doesn’t get much benefit from the seven day advance seat selection as she travels on other OneWorld carriers more than BA when by herself and BA when she is with me.

She indirectly feels the benefits of the 25% extra avios as I get to upgrade her or out her on more RFS flights than she would otherwise!

This year she will be close to Silver so trying to persuade her to do a TP run.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 2:50 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by lels
Yes, I can understand your perspective!!!
Old Nov 21, 2019, 2:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by BOH
I think stating it is useless is a bit OTT. I was Bronze for a year about 4 years ago (from 10 years previous as a lowly Blue) I really, REALLY valued the free seat selection from 7 days out (usually bagging a SH exit seat every time) and the Business Class check-in facility.

Believe me, when you arrive at an outstation to check your bag in and you see the standard queue being some 40-50 plus pax long but only 4-5 pax in the Business Class line you really appreciate the Bronze level

Agreed though, Silver is the really valuable first level tier because of the lounge access. Having been Gold for 2 years now, personally I don't see too much difference between Gold and Silver - it is the difference between Bronze and Silver that is the valuable big step IMHO.
Disagree completely. The gulf between Silver and Gold in benefits is vast. Where do I begin? T5 fast track, Gold line telco, Gold award added avios seats, the multitude of free upgrades on busy flights, AA Flagship lounge access etc? You dont get any of that at Silver. I would dread returning to Silver now after 6 years at Gold!
Old Nov 21, 2019, 3:00 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
I'm not sure how much more could reasonably be offered to BA Bronze. I thought it was a slightly odd tier when it was introduced given how much one gets for Silver and how, relatively speaking, easy it is to obtain.
Thomathy and argonath like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.