FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Allergies - when is it too much ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1996062-allergies-when-too-much.html)

steve76 Nov 20, 2019 9:45 am

On every first aid course I've been on, I've been taught that the effects of epi-pens are short lasting and that even after administering an epi-pen the patient still needs urgent medical treatment (i.e. it just buys you a little time). Perhaps someone who uses one can correct me if I'm wrong. My point is that individuals or airlines carrying epi-pens is of course sensible but doesn't solve the problem - a reaction will still require an emergency diversion (and can still be very serious if it occurs, for instance, over the atlantic) but it's in everyone's interest to prevent a reaction in the first place.

elwe Nov 20, 2019 10:29 am

I have just remembered that I have had allergic reactions to milk products on planes twice.

Once on United, due to them supplying unsuitable food, despite being told about my allergy. They were rubbish at recovery. That was the last time I flew United, back in 2008.

Once on BA. The offending product was from the lounge at Mumbai just before boarding, but the reaction didn't really start until after boarding. I can't think properly when I am having a reaction so it wasn't until after take off that the passenger next to me alerted the crew. They were brilliant, they moved me from WTP to a free seat in CW and checked on me regularly as I rode it out. Although the CSDs comment that I was looking better, which was good as she thought I might die wasn't so reassuring. What would have made them do a medical diversion? When I arrived in London I realised I had welcome messages from phone networks across Asia and Europe. I hadn't been in a fit state to turn my phone into flight mode.

Skin contact with milk is enough to give me a reaction, although it isn't as bad a reaction as consumption. I have had milk spilt on me on a train and had a reaction.

UKtravelbear Nov 20, 2019 10:49 am

Originally Posted by lily23 (Post 31758180)
It seems most folks who are aware of their risk for anaphylaxis carry their own Epi-Pens...but don't airlines also have medical kits onboard that would have Epi-Pens? If not, I would imagine stocking up on a few (I think they range from ~$50 in the UK to $300 in the US) would be a better option than offloading passengers.

Epi-pens are prescription only. They also have a relativly short shelf life

There are current supply problems with some brands in the UK so whist GPs aren't rationing them they are being careful that patients aren't stockpiling

Please tell my US friends where you think you can get one for $300 from. They are paying a lot more than that!

I don't think airline kits have epi pens in them. Just too high a risk for incorrect use. And unless they are properly checked they could be out of date and be less effective..

lily23 Nov 20, 2019 11:18 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 31758490)

There are current supply problems with some brands in the UK so whist GPs aren't rationing them they are being careful that patients aren't stockpiling

Please tell my US friends where you think you can get one for $300 from. They are paying a lot more than that!

I don't think airline kits have epi pens in them. Just too high a risk for incorrect use. And unless they are properly checked they could be out of date and be less effective..

Makes sense, I actually don't know much about EpiPens, other than what I learned from a high school first aid course (blue to the sky, orange to the thigh). And as to ~$300...yes, sadly that would only be after annual deductibles have been met (having also lived in Canada and the UK, don't even get me started on US "healthcare"!)

Out of curiosity I did a quick google on what medications airlines carry and popped up this relatively recent NYT article: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/03/h...lanes-faa.html
Long story short, its as you said, airlines are supposed to have it onboard but due to shortages, there are exemptions.

Emma Cocker Nov 20, 2019 1:31 pm

I personally would rather forgo the nuts than have a medical diversion mid flight, or a fellow passenger die. It is trickier with intolerances as opposed to allergies, and even simple dislikes.

Let's face it: there is no right answer. It's always going to be an emotive topic for those with allergies, or loved ones with allergies, or those who feel it is their human right to eat a bag of nuts on board. A bit of empathy goes a long way, but as always, needs to be balanced with not being too extreme (and no, I don't know what the answer is!)

hungry Nov 20, 2019 9:04 pm

With the crappy economised nuts served in CE these days, I don’t bother anyway

thebigben Nov 21, 2019 2:35 am

Originally Posted by steve76 (Post 31758212)
On every first aid course I've been on, I've been taught that the effects of epi-pens are short lasting and that even after administering an epi-pen the patient still needs urgent medical treatment (i.e. it just buys you a little time). Perhaps someone who uses one can correct me if I'm wrong. My point is that individuals or airlines carrying epi-pens is of course sensible but doesn't solve the problem - a reaction will still require an emergency diversion (and can still be very serious if it occurs, for instance, over the atlantic) but it's in everyone's interest to prevent a reaction in the first place.

Mostly correct, sometimes it's enough but you can't tell in advance if it's going to get better or worse. That is why planes are tricky. Road/train travel is a bit easier as you can get an ambulance to meet you somewhere but planes have to go all the way down and that takes time.

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 31758490)

https://www.clickpharmacy.co.uk/epipen

Took me two minutes. Also, epi-pens last over a year and are not that hard to use... I'm not sure what you're talking about...

Tesla1856 Nov 21, 2019 11:09 am

My EpiPens cost me like $35 bucks - typical co pay for a drug as they are covered by my insurance. Also in my home state in the USA - its the law they be covered on all insurance plans for those 18 and under.

Now about the short term nature of the Epi-Pen treatment. The doctors will insist you must head to the Emergency room after injection because you can (or might) rebound. I have injected my self 2 times in the last few years - only gone once to the EM as I knew where my body was with the amount of peanut intake.But yes the medical mandate is go to the EM right after injection.

VSLover Nov 21, 2019 2:51 pm

i certainly do not minimize the nut allergy reaction--but i am surprised that while i fly 200k miles per year on average, i've only had this announcement three times on shorthaul and never on longhaul.

no big deal really--i love nuts! (insert joke here) but if it mitigates risk, delays or diversions, im all for it!

nachosdelux Nov 21, 2019 6:27 pm

I have no problem keeping my nuts wrapped up if it prevents another from becoming ill.

That said, I'm not sure one should risk flying if you are so sensitive that one unwilling passenger could kill you.

Vinotraveller Nov 22, 2019 7:30 am

Originally Posted by Oaxaca (Post 31754616)
Interesting. I don't keep such detailed and accurate notes, but would say in the last year somewhere between 5-10% of my BA flights have had a nut allergy announcement, and I've had one BA go-around in that time (well, technically it was Air Belgium, but I'm counting it as BA). So, in my non-scientific sample of one, you are far more likely to have a nut allergy announcement than a go-around :)

More seriously, I have noticed a definite increase in such announcements on BA in the last 12-18 months. Before that, it was noticeable to me that such announcements were a regular occurrence on my U2 flights, but hardly ever on BA. Now, there are a noticeable number on BA too.

On one flight earlier this year, CC served me a bowl of nuts in F while the "no nuts" announcement was being made over the PA. The explanation provided was that F and the flight deck were on a different air circulation system to other parts of the aircraft. I have no idea if this is true (A380), just what was said. On another flight, pax were offloaded because the crew were concerned about their health relating to allergies, can't recall if that was nuts or something else. Both flights were BA.

There is perhaps an even more non-scientific explanation (and tongue in cheek) for the low amount of nut allergy announcements on my flights. Very many of them were between Scotland and London, and perhaps up here we're made of tougher stuff!!!

Will don the flack jacket now!

ENTP Nov 22, 2019 7:48 am

Hi team - multiple nut allergy sufferer here. I am lucky that I have what I term a 'parabolic' allergy - ie small doses (even oral) do nothing to me, but beyond a certain point I suffer anaphylaxis, I've been offered the announcement, mostly in jest by BA's witty CSM's several times, but have never taken them up on it. Even in a Malaysia Airlines' 737 economy flight where every pax was served a big bag of peanuts I was fine. I do my part by asking about Chefs' chats over risky foods, but a bit upset to see the cavalier attitude of some of our friends about this topic

Fly_IAD Nov 22, 2019 8:55 am

Originally Posted by ENTP (Post 31765465)
Hi team - multiple nut allergy sufferer here. I am lucky that I have what I term a 'parabolic' allergy - ie small doses (even oral) do nothing to me, but beyond a certain point I suffer anaphylaxis, I've been offered the announcement, mostly in jest by BA's witty CSM's several times, but have never taken them up on it. Even in a Malaysia Airlines' 737 economy flight where every pax was served a big bag of peanuts I was fine. I do my part by asking about Chefs' chats over risky foods, but a bit upset to see the cavalier attitude of some of our friends about this topic

I agree, its terribly pathetic to see some of what people have posted here. Its that same kind of attitude that shows up when some passengers scream at crew about when they will get a flight moving or complain about a diversion when some poor fellow human has gone into cardiac arrest or g-d forbid died. The worst of humanity with crass remarks about what some people have to suffer with or try and manage in terms of health issues.

GrayAnderson Dec 3, 2019 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by lily23 (Post 31758592)
Makes sense, I actually don't know much about EpiPens, other than what I learned from a high school first aid course (blue to the sky, orange to the thigh). And as to ~$300...yes, sadly that would only be after annual deductibles have been met (having also lived in Canada and the UK, don't even get me started on US "healthcare"!)

Out of curiosity I did a quick google on what medications airlines carry and popped up this relatively recent NYT article: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/03/h...lanes-faa.html
Long story short, its as you said, airlines are supposed to have it onboard but due to shortages, there are exemptions.

My understanding (NOT A DOCTOR, NOT A LAWYER) is that epipens tend to have a longer useful shelf life than their "prescription timeframe", but getting them certified for longer is an extraordinarily lengthy and expensive process.

picturegal Dec 3, 2019 4:58 pm

To all the parents out there - medical personnel now say that the sooner you expose young children to nuts, especially peanuts, the better. Much less allergic reaction. This is the opposite of the advice they gave only a few years ago, which advice resulted in a lot of nut allergies.