FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Allergies - when is it too much ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1996062-allergies-when-too-much.html)

navylad Dec 30, 2019 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Geordie405 (Post 31890134)
I had four flights over the Christmas break of which two came with announcements regarding passengers with nut allergies. One was BA1336 from LHR - NCL on 21st December where passenger boards, explains to Purser that she has a nut allergy, and is asked by the Purser whether she has an EpiPen. The answer was no, but that she had other medication in tablet form (I was in 1C so could clearly hear the conversation in the galley). Given that one of the symptoms of anaphylaxis is a swollen throat I'd assume that any attempt to swallow tablets would be impeded by the swollen throat? Anyway, passenger is allowed to board and there's the usual announcement.

Second flight was yesterday's BA275 to Las Vegas. I was upstairs so no idea of the background, except that the announcement was made.

True anaphylaxis requires adrenaline not tablets. Anaphylaxis reactions may be treated with tablets, although they often get the drugs intravenously in ED, and obvious more general allergies may also be treated just with tablets.

There are of course a number of possibilities; the pax should have been prescribed an epipen but never has been, the pax had been prescribed one but didn’t have one as she forgot it or it expired, or that she didn’t need an epidemic and it was a milder allergy rather than anaphylactic reaction.

Nonetheless, CC seam to have acted appropriately, the ox is responsible for ensuring they have their medication, but no nuts would be appropriate really even if it was just an allergy- it is still a reasonable adjustment.

UKtravelbear Dec 30, 2019 2:33 pm

are we talking about nuts or peanuts because peanuts aren't nuts and you can be chomping away on some cashews and pecans without affecting someone with a peanut allergy

navylad Dec 30, 2019 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 31890313)
are we talking about nuts or peanuts because peanuts aren't nuts and you can be chomping away on some cashews and pecans without affecting someone with a peanut allergy

there is a high level of cross reactivity between people who have peanut allergies having tree nut allergies and vice versa in the literature.

ttama Dec 31, 2019 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Geordie405 (Post 31890134)
Given that one of the symptoms of anaphylaxis is a swollen throat I'd assume that any attempt to swallow tablets would be impeded by the swollen throat? .

That's a dangerous misconception. My crustacean allergy has caused mouth swelling (as do many of my food intolerances) but my others don't. Sadly, that's not commonly understood, and most people think that a swollen throat is the only or main symptom.

It's the low blood pressure leading to organ failure that would get me, and my main symptoms are flushing, breathlessness (not caused by swelling, but by a lack of oxygen in the blood), a feeling of impending doom, and severe stomach pain with accompanying nastiness.

I've always been able to take antihistamines at the first sign of an allergy, and I then only use my epipens if the antihistamine didn't kick in fast enough. I'm not sure if that's what you're supposed to do but it's worked for me (still alive, QED).

I think it's extremely dangerous to assume you know more than the person suffering from the allergy.

navylad Dec 31, 2019 8:01 am

Originally Posted by ttama (Post 31892675)
That's a dangerous misconception. My crustacean allergy has caused mouth swelling (as do many of my food intolerances) but my others don't. Sadly, that's not commonly understood, and most people think that a swollen throat is the only or main symptom.

It's the low blood pressure leading to organ failure that would get me, and my main symptoms are flushing, breathlessness (not caused by swelling, but by a lack of oxygen in the blood), a feeling of impending doom, and severe stomach pain with accompanying nastiness.

I've always been able to take antihistamines at the first sign of an allergy, and I then only use my epipens if the antihistamine didn't kick in fast enough. I'm not sure if that's what you're supposed to do but it's worked for me (still alive, QED).

I think it's extremely dangerous to assume you know more than the person suffering from the allergy.

indeed be definition, anaphylaxis is a life threatening airway and/or breathing and/or circulatory response to an alleged. That means that it may only be a life-threatening circulatory collapse without throat swelling, and indeed not even everyone gets a rash.

However, the guidelines are clear in that anyone whose has had an anaphylactic reaction to an unproven table alleged should carry an adrenaline autoinjector and there is nothing to stop someone who has only had circulatory collapse in previous anaphylaxis from
having life threatening airway compromise on the next.

I reiterate my caveat that you should of course get independent medical advice rather than using my opinion which I use for only informing the discussion alone