Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Possibility of getting my luggage back during my quick stopover in London

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2019, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles and Smiles

Hi all,

Just booked the below flight.. just wondering what are the chances I could get my check-in luggage back ?

as I will need them during my short stay in London..

any advise if appreciated

BA0008/13 Feb 2020/13:25/Heathrow (London)/Terminal 5

BA0984/14 Feb 2020/12:25/Heathrow (London)/Terminal 5
Old Nov 18, 2019, 11:56 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Because it is an overnight stay in London then you should be able to get your luggage back at LHR. Just ask it to be tagged just to London though there is a fair chance they will ask that question anyway. You can have it tagged through to TXL if you prefer, but equally they should be OK to ensure it comes out in London.

For those who haven't memorised the timetable, this is Tokyo Haneda to Berlin Tegel, via London Heathrow.
AJA_, nancypants and Cris L like this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
i have never had a problem get my luggage short checked if I want it when I have an overnight in London.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for reply..

Just wondering if I would get any fine ? if I decide not to return ? I have done a fair bit of research on FT.. it seems no one has got into any serious trouble
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Research will tell you lots of differing outcomes. No definitive answer! You won’t be fined.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 11:53 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Research will tell you lots of differing outcomes. No definitive answer! You wont be fined.
for a same day connection yes, but for an overnight connection like the OP's (BA8 is a daytime flight) I am not aware of any refusals to check to LHR only.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 3:09 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by sernF
Thanks for reply..

Just wondering if I would get any fine ? if I decide not to return ? I have done a fair bit of research on FT.. it seems no one has got into any serious trouble
So youre really asking if you can short check because youre on an ex-EU and dont want to take the last flight?

The answer to that, depending on whether you booked through a Travel Agent or direct, could be very different ... but it sounds like youve already done the research there.

No-one here is judgmental - so it does help to ask the question youre seeking advice on, not something obtuse ...!
dougzz likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 6:28 am
Original Poster

I saw the below statement on my booking confirmation so I did a fair bit of research as I was curious.. Just in case I decide to stay in London for longer

as the flight was a lot more expensive if I stay over more than 24hours

Very important information

If you do not check your bags through to your final destination you may incur additional charges
Old Nov 19, 2019, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
So you’re really asking if you can short check because you’re on an ex-EU and don’t want to take the last flight?

The answer to that, depending on whether you booked through a Travel Agent or direct, could be very different ... but it sounds like you’ve already done the research there.

No-one here is judgmental - so it does help to ask the question you’re seeking advice on, not something obtuse ...!
I did book direct as I don't like to use travel agent

Last edited by sernF; Nov 19, 2019 at 3:37 pm
Old Nov 19, 2019, 2:14 pm
Community Director

I saw the below statement on my booking confirmation so I did a fair bit of research as I was curious.. Just in case I decide to stay in London for longer

as the flight was a lot more expensive if I stay over more than 24hours

Very important information

If you do not check your bags through to your final destination you may incur additional charges
One of the reasons the flight will be more expensive is that layovers of 24h+ will attract UK APD. Beyond that, the ticket conditions may only allow short layovers, and extra stops will increase the price.

Without knowing exactly what fare basis youre on its impossible to tell how much each factor contributes.

The luggage statement applies when travelling on a basic/HBO fare, where each leg would be charged separately if the layover was greater than 24h.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 3:01 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I did book direct as I like to use travel agent
It's best not to drop the last leg on TA bookings, they may get "fined" by BA, who raise something called an ADM in cases like this to cover the fare difference, and the travel agent may well seek to recover that cost from you. If you want a longer stay in London, depending on the fare basis and with careful flight selection, it may not be too expensive to change the date of LHR-TXL to another time, but that would also need the travel agent to be willing to do a change like that.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It's best not to drop the last leg on TA bookings, they may get "fined" by BA, who raise something called an ADM in cases like this to cover the fare difference, and the travel agent may well seek to recover that cost from you. If you want a longer stay in London, depending on the fare basis and with careful flight selection, it may not be too expensive to change the date of LHR-TXL to another time, but that would also need the travel agent to be willing to do a change like that.
I booked it directly through the website..earlier today BA has confirmed that I can have my luggage back

Traveling Economy if anyone cares..

Just wondering if anyone now why Europe to Japan is allowed to have 2 checked in bags ? as the BA customer service lady on the phone could not explain

Thanks
Old Nov 19, 2019, 4:02 pm
Community Director

Class of service won’t make any difference. Nor, at least in theory, will status.

Extra luggage entitlement to certain countries is likely to be a response to local competition where the allowance is considered an important facet of the service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.