Wiki Posts
Search

Reward flights to Male

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2019, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Reward flights to Male

I've been looking to book some flights for next year (November 1 2020 onwards). They should have started appearing by now - while I would expect the business seats to go instantly I would have thought there would be some in economy (especially as I can book V class).

Does anyone know if for this popular destination reward seats don't get allocated - or has someone in BA just not put the availability up yet?

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Everyday every flight gets 2J and 4Y at midnight, these must be snapped up if they’re not showing
Old Nov 16, 2019, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Everyday every flight gets 2J and 4Y at midnight, these must be snapped up if they’re not showing
In general I agree - but I should also be able to get V class tickets which aren't appearing either.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Looks like the flights aren't available for booking with money either - so that explains the lack of reward flights!
Old Nov 16, 2019, 9:18 am

The direct BA LGW to MLE flights in previous years always seemed to start on the last Sunday in October. I was also looking out for reward flights and actually stayed up one night, finger ready on the buzzer. Nothing appeared.
I emailed BA customer services last Thursday to ask whether they have stopped this route or , if still on, when the first flight will be.... November 2020 sunday ...??
Three emails later , I’m none the wiser. I hope helpdesk have forwarded my query to whichever department in BA might know the answer, sales? Scheduling? Will see.
Sincerely hope they haven’t stopped the direct route now that the LGW 777s are refurbished.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AmaaiZeg
The direct BA LGW to MLE flights in previous years always seemed to started on the last Sunday in October. I was also looking out for reward flights and actually stayed up one night, finger ready on the buzzer. Nothing appeared.
I emailed BA customer services last Thursday to ask whether they have stopped this route or , if still on, when the first flight will be.... November 2020 sunday ...??
Three emails later , I’m none the wiser. I hope helpdesk have forwarded my query to whichever department in BA might know the answer, sales? Scheduling? Will see.
Sincerely hope they haven’t stopped the direct route now that the LGW 777s are refurbished.
Thanks for that info, hopefully someone on the inside will tell us what is going on. Watching Baroness Mone enjoying 4 weeks stay in the one and only hotel has got mrs Firstlight eager to go.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 9:31 am

Well BA 2043 flew yesterday to Male so not sure whats going on...
Old Nov 16, 2019, 10:02 am

The flights are seasonal , last flight in current schedule is March 2020.

We are looking for flights in November 2020.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
I'd be very surprised if that route were discontinued. Too many posh Brits on honeymoons.

OP: Out of interest, why are you looking at Y redemptions? Usually long haul Y, by the time you factor in taxes, fees, value of avios (and the lack of earning of avios), ends up being a bad deal. Did you find a redemption sweet spot?
Old Nov 17, 2019, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LCY8737
I'd be very surprised if that route were discontinued. Too many posh Brits on honeymoons.

OP: Out of interest, why are you looking at Y redemptions? Usually long haul Y, by the time you factor in taxes, fees, value of avios (and the lack of earning of avios), ends up being a bad deal. Did you find a redemption sweet spot?
Looking at extra V class availability available to golds really on the return - sometimes I can't be bothered to stay up to midnight. And Y chicken curries on BA are nearly as good as the ones in CW
Old Nov 17, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
This might provide some information: https://www.headforpoints.com/2019/0...each-ba-route/
firstlight likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by firstlight
Watching Baroness Mone enjoying 4 weeks stay in the one and only hotel has got mrs Firstlight eager to go.
Mrs Firstlight should do her research.... The O&O is lovely but extremely overrated. Much better out there for a fraction of the money. They've also lost a lot of their staff to other properties over the last year or so.
firstlight and TedToToe like this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Mrs Firstlight should do her research.... The O&O is lovely but extremely overrated. Much better out there for a fraction of the money. They've also lost a lot of their staff to other properties over the last year or so.
Ah, that's a shame. We went last year and were looking forward to return. It's on a big island so lots of opportunity to walk / cycle around to get some exercise. It's not cheap but we weren't looking to spend 4 weeks there ! Where do you recommend ?
Old Nov 17, 2019, 10:20 am

Ah, that's a shame. We went last year and were looking forward to return. It's on a big island so lots of opportunity to walk / cycle around to get some exercise. It's not cheap but we weren't looking to spend 4 weeks there ! Where do you recommend ?
We did Soneva Fushi last year (another large island) in the Baa Atol which is on the cards for next time. Less polished bling, more barefoot luxury. Very lush, very sustainable, amazing dining and they're just about to open some pretty stunning over water villas with infinity pools. They also have an option to buy up to All Inclusive which can help budget for what can be a bank breaking holiday if you aren't careful. That said you have access to the cheese & ham room (large international selection) and the ice-cream and chocolate room all day long (all hand made on the island) on a comp basis so you never go hungry.

The thing I liked about Soneva Fushi was the clientele is far less 'showy' than at O&O, although I appreciate some people like that kind of thing. Also for the fact there are multiple experiences you can take part in daily at no extra charge... Observatory for star gazing, glass recycling into glass art etc... Also the opportunity to visit the neighbouring island as well as the usual snorkelling, kayaking etc.

The other one I'm looking at is Joali which opened this time last year as a brand new resort. I'm hearing good things about this place - very much in keeping with O&O in terms of the polished product and level of service.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Nov 17, 2019 at 10:34 am
Old Nov 17, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
Looking at extra V class availability available to golds really on the return - sometimes I can't be bothered to stay up to midnight. And Y chicken curries on BA are nearly as good as the ones in CW
dont expect V to be there a year in advance. V is loaded as a commercial fare bucket and as its roughly 3-4 towards the very lowest fares, it would be unusual to load it that far out. Generally you’d see Y/B/H loaded for a period, to try and capitalise on people who need to travel on the set dates who are less cost conscious.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.