Wiki Posts
Search

MAN to ORD could be on again

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2019, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage
MAN to ORD could be on again

Wife caught her latest flight back from ORD to MAN via LHR yesterday and was told by a flight attendant that her days of having to change flights in London may soon be over - he claimed that BA is about to reintroduce (or should that be introduce since it was AA who operated that flight) the direct ORD - MAN service due to high demand.

Fingers crossed....
Old Nov 11, 2019, 9:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Would be good if it happens but over the 30 or so years I've flown TATL from MAN there have been so many rumours about direct services that simply haven't materialised. In fact the real story has been of failed and withdrawn Oneworld options which have gradually decreased to a single AA flight a day to PHL. As a result, I'm not crossing my fingers nor holding my breath on the basis of a casual comment from a random Flight Attendant.
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 9:30 pm

Programs: BA, Emirates, IHG, Accor, Marriott, Hilton
That would definitely be good, another option for getting to the US and onwards, saving the hop to LHR.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 9:48 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
There was also a crewmour about 1/2 years ago that BA would resume MAN-JFK when AA gave up on that route. Didn’t happen of course. I don’t mean to be negative but my point is these types of rumours have been seen before and nothing has come to pass in the end, so I won’t be holding my breath on this one
orbitmic and nancypants like this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 1:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by Fonsini
Wife caught her latest flight back from ORD to MAN via LHR yesterday and was told by a flight attendant that her days of having to change flights in London may soon be over - he claimed that BA is about to reintroduce (or should that be introduce since it was AA who operated that flight) the direct ORD - MAN service due to high demand.

Fingers crossed....
Please please let it be......the AA787 on that route was brilliant, that plus PHL on AA makes a viable alternative to going via LHR, just wish AA would replace the 767 and put the A330 back on it.

I guess that's the next question, if its BA metal, what metal......
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by tuonopepper
Please please let it be......the AA787 on that route was brilliant, that plus PHL on AA makes a viable alternative to going via LHR, just wish AA would replace the 767 and put the A330 back on it.

I guess that's the next question, if its BA metal, what metal......
Another flying pig. BA has proved time and time again it has no interest in services from MAN, other than LHR and some weekend work for the LCY aircraft.
tuonopepper and nancypants like this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 2:52 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
Not a chance
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 3:02 am

Assuming that the expected ROIC is = or > than the ROIC of a LHR route, where would BA find the frame to fly it? They’re already low as they are.

One key development of the last few years in European aviation, together with consolidation, is the end of multi-base operations. With the exception of LCCs no major do them, and with reason: there’s no money to be had in them.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 3:15 am

Programs: BAEC
, just wish AA would replace the 767 and put the A330 back on it.
Seems that it’s going to B788 from Feb 2020 (at least for a while)
tuonopepper likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 3:34 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
I would take this with a pinch of salt.
We are talking about London Airways, remember.
BearX220 and nancypants like this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by 13901
Assuming that the expected ROIC is = or > than the ROIC of a LHR route, where would BA find the frame to fly it? They’re already low as they are.

One key development of the last few years in European aviation, together with consolidation, is the end of multi-base operations. With the exception of LCCs no major do them, and with reason: there’s no money to be had in them.
Well there is also the exception of Lufthansa with MUC and FRA still, but general point is valid. If MAN-ORD were to come back I’d think more likely on AA than BA.
Hydebear and 13901 like this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 5:09 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Please please let it be......the AA787 on that route was brilliant
The on-time performance of the B787 service was atrocious... until last year, when they canned the route!
Old Nov 12, 2019, 5:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Honours Silver, Marriott, Hyatt, IHG
Originally Posted by rapidex
Another flying pig. BA has proved time and time again it has no interest in services from MAN, other than LHR and some weekend work for the LCY aircraft.
Hello, Flying Pig here. I tend to agree though although I am surprised that IAG have not used the Thomas Cook opportunity to push back against Virgin ex MAN.
Much of the traffic heading East has been ceded to the ME3 (although with QR/AY they maintain a very small stake in the game) and it appears that they are willing to concede the westbound to VS/DL. As a shareholder I support the LHR/MAD (and DUB) hubbing strategy but with more capacity being added in by competitors from smaller airports the danger is that the connecting traffic continues to reduce and go elsewhere. Rumours persist of QR for example looking to base some 321LRs in the UK to cream off traffic from secondary points. Given how they reacted to DY ex LGW I am surprised to see IAG just ignoring this market.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 6:13 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Porky Sfupeedpig
Hello, Flying Pig here. I tend to agree though although I am surprised that IAG have not used the Thomas Cook opportunity to push back against Virgin ex MAN.
Much of the traffic heading East has been ceded to the ME3 (although with QR/AY they maintain a very small stake in the game) and it appears that they are willing to concede the westbound to VS/DL. As a shareholder I support the LHR/MAD (and DUB) hubbing strategy but with more capacity being added in by competitors from smaller airports the danger is that the connecting traffic continues to reduce and go elsewhere. Rumours persist of QR for example looking to base some 321LRs in the UK to cream off traffic from secondary points. Given how they reacted to DY ex LGW I am surprised to see IAG just ignoring this market.
I don't pretend to fully understand the cross shareholding, but at face value isn't QR doing anything in direct competition with IAG a bit self defeating.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 6:20 am

Qatar Airways would need to establish a UK/EU subsidiary, get all the necessary approvals and so on. Seems a lot of effort.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.