Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transporting ashes

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2019, 5:41 pm

Sorry for your loss,

I like the “she loved travel” and it got me thinking, maybe being an eternal piece of lost luggage would be great. but I bet if I put in my will that I want to fly whenever my wife/kids fly to until I get lost, it would never happen, BA would vex me even after death.

Last edited by joejet; Nov 11, 2019 at 6:57 pm
Old Nov 11, 2019, 9:11 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Transporting ashes domestically is different from internationally.

Maybe taking them to the UK by train is an option (and you can connect to a ferry from France direct to Dover rather than going through London).

Perhaps avoid Germany if the poster who mentioned that they do not permit the the transport of human remains is correct - though close to zero chance that anyone will be looking through your luggage on German trains.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 5:25 am

Programs: BA GGL
I'd advise you take a copy of your birth certificate (to prove relation), just in case.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 6:42 am

Programs: BA, VS,
The only issue you will have is getting them out of Hungary In some countries there is no distinction between mortal remains and cremated remains. If this is the case you will need permission from the Hungarian coroner.

you must carry the cremation certificate with you and a copy of the death certificate is always a good Idea. You shouldn’t have any problems bringing them into the uk.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH GLD, IHG PLT
Can’t help with regards to Hungary, but last week I carried some of my nans ashes on a BA MAN-LHR shuttle. They are to be scattered in several different places so I poured some into a LHR security liquids bag and put that inside a tuppaware box. I copied the official sticker on the front of the urn, printed it and taped it to the tuppaware. They were in my hand luggage at MAN and were flagged by security. The chap opened my bag, read the label and politely took them to one side, did the explosives check them out them back in my bag for me. He didn’t ask to see the death certificate but I had it just Incase. No problem whatsoever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.