Search

BA CC for DFW to Cairo?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2019, 12:24 pm
tls
Original Poster

Programs: BA, AA, SPG, IHG
BA CC for DFW to Cairo?

I’m about to make a $20k purchase. Also considering a vacation with my husband to Egypt (still researching safety there).
Would the BA CC be the best new cc for this plan?
If not, suggestions?
Old Nov 11, 2019, 2:20 am

Programs: Confirmed
Hi

I assume you want redemption flights out of a $20k spend. Where would you be starting? Which country are you applying for a card from?

Specific answers will hopefully get someone to get you some ideas.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
BA has some pretty heavy carrier surcharges (in addition to proper government taxes and airport fees) on reward seats - assuming availability as well - so I’d be factoring those into your equations on getting value.

An AA card might be a better option. And also other airlines are also available!
Old Nov 11, 2019, 9:12 am
tls
Original Poster

Would be departing from Dallas/Ft Worth airport. Arriving Cairo, Eqypt. Can return from same or different location.
I live in US and would be applying for a cc here in he US.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
If you want to do this in Economy, I definitely suggest getting an AA card and using AA miles.

BAEC is no use for long haul economy redemptions.

You will also get a wide range of AA flights eastwards from DFW, and you can (if necessary) use the AAnytime awards to force more availability. BA does not have a "pay more miles to get a seat" option (only a "get more seats offered if you have status" which won't apply to you in this case).

As to destination, if Egypt does not appeal there is Jordan for an alternative with lots of ancient history, or Oman for the more Arabic desert culture and very pleasant people.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 2:34 pm
tls
Original Poster

Thank you replying. Jordan would be good as well. My husband wants to see the 7 wonders. Have seen Manchu Picchu, Chichen Itza, Colosseum.
I prefer more business or first class. I had BA card and earned companion pass for first class DFW to London few years ago.
How may I find best cc deal(s) if I need to make a $20k purchase soon?
Old Nov 14, 2019, 5:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by tls
What's the purchase? Is it eligible for a category bonus through any cards?
Old Nov 15, 2019, 11:49 am
tls
Original Poster

The purchase is for a service to a private business. Not eligible for category bonus.
I'm going to make the purchase for sure. Just wondering best way to find best deal. I know there are numerous options.
I currently have SW with companion pass and plenty of miles for domestic travel.
Currently have 200K SW miles and 175K AA miles.174,54174,5411
I'm not sure how safe Egypt is anyway. I'm open to other destinations.

Last edited by tls; Nov 15, 2019 at 11:55 am
Old Nov 15, 2019, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by tls
I'm not sure how safe Egypt is anyway. I'm open to other destinations.
Having worked in Egypt for years until earlier this year, I would have no hesitations visiting the country, providing you are visiting main tourist areas. Do not go to North Sinai for example

This is also assuming you have an amount of common sense and don't actively engage with beggars/street chancers etc
Old Nov 15, 2019, 6:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I would definitely carbon copy BA into this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by tls
Thank you replying. Jordan would be good as well. My husband wants to see the 7 wonders. Have seen Manchu Picchu, Chichen Itza, Colosseum.
I prefer more business or first class. I had BA card and earned companion pass for first class DFW to London few years ago.
AA charges 70K miles for each one-way in Business Class between the lower 48 and the Middle East, so you would need a total of 280K AA miles for a Business Class roundtrip for two -- assuming that you could find MileSAAver award seats, which is never a given. (AAnytime awards are only valid on an all-AA-metal itinerary, and AA does not fly to Egypt or Jordan.)

Both Barclays and Citi issue AA credit cards -- both business and personal -- with sign-up bonuses. Check the FT Citi forum for current Citi offers, and the FT general credit-card forum for current Barclays offers.

Also, note that while you can redeem your miles for a spouse (or anyone), you cannot transfer miles without charge. So if your spouse is also going to get a card, it would be necessary to accumulate at least 70,000 miles in the spouse's AAdvantage account, which could then be redeemed for one one-way. You could then redeem 210,000 miles for your spouse's other one-way, and for your own roundtrip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.