Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Underwhelmed by CCR

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
While I do partake of an obligatory cocktail at the bar in the CCR for insufferable social media bragging purposes, you’re more likely to find me spending most of my time in Plane Food. This is the unbundled F experience.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
We have an irreconcilable difference between what people want from Lounges. One category treats them as something to enjoy and not the destination themselves, other do. I am in the first category - I enjoy them but they are somewhere to pass the time whilst waiting for a flight.

The OP did not enjoy himself and reading between the lines I would put that down to the place being over crowded and the time that it took to get what should be a comparatively simple order. I think that it may have some to this; if this persists it will become a place frequented only by people who have paid for it. By that I mean that it should be available to anyone travelling on First Class tickets only. All others will have to use the Flounge. What proportion of the people in there are not on F tickets, I do not know, but if it is attracting that sort of crowding then some measure has to be taken. Any measure will be unpopular with one group or other. One thing i would also stop is anyone guesting people who are not on the same flight - indeed I do not think that they even know them in some cases. They're meant to be havens not Hades. However, if all these people are travelling on F tickets then that puts paid to the argument that BA's F product is not attracting people who can afford it.

The second problem is that the calibre of staff who work in there for Baxter Storey (?) is pretty dismal. The staff at LGW are 10 times faster, sharper, and pleasanter.I doubt that they get paid much, so one should not expect much, but this is not the impression that BA wishes to make. Quite what you do about them I do not know.

I may never visit the CCR again
re the staff, then how does Cathay, Qantas and Qatar and even Malayisan airlines get such good staff in their London lounges? I have had excellent services on each occasion I have visited those lounges. Perhaps it is due to lounge capacity etc.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by T8191
HIDDY, I know a restaurant owner in Malta quite well. He has been ‘attacked’ with negative reviews by competitors (and he knows who they are). Social Media reviews are a bloody minefield these days.

I would like to think that Flyertalk contributors have more integrity.
Internet reviews are a great resource to have however the old fashioned way is still the best.....opinion from someone you know well.
T8191 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Coincidentally I've just this week been to the the Concorde Room for my first time, so I'd like to pitch in as well on the subject. As a FlyerTalk member (read: addict) I was very converse on the subject and had a pretty precise idea what to expect. I had an inbound connection in F and had a ~4 hrs waiting time for my connection, which is why this poor sod ended up there. Now I think the lounge was just about as I expected it to be. I second the comments regarding having too high expectations. It's not after all Heaven on Earth - it's just a commercial premise with some fancy furniture.

The lounge has two features that makes it stand out from a lot of the competition in the airport loungesphere - Oneworld, non-aligned, Priority Pass etc.:
  • Two different options for á la carte service - a more concise lounge menu and a more complete "restaurantish" experience with the private booths.
  • Indoor terrace.
Now what observations did I make as a Concorde Room novice?

I think there was a lack of guidance - with signage or in-person advice regarding what to expect on the terrace in terms of service. At first I didn't realise there's service also on the terrace, but then I noticed some others did receive drinks at their tables or deckchairs. While there I thought they ordered at the bar and got the drinks brought out there, but I assume they ordered from the server outside. In fact the same lack of information goes also for the inside table service, but as a seasoned FT'er I knew to just sit at the high table in the middle and expect someone to ask for my food order. Other than that, I think one just had to more or less pick up clues from what others did.

While sitting on the terrace (read: lounging in the large, gorgeous sofa at the very end and looking like the walking dead after my travels), I did come to the conclusion that the lounge has by and large one major issue and that's the one @Scots_Al & co. have been refering to. No, it's not about the cabanas, the furniture or anything else tangible. It's about the whole concept and where the whole lounge experience begins. It's not a splendid full-service lounge, but neither is it any good for self-service. I for one realised this when I was wondering where the heck I could get some still or table water to rehydrate myself, a few glasses at a time, while being in the lounge. I did get an initial glass at the bar, while ordering a glass of sparks by Hattingley Valley, but then I sat at the terrace quite a few good minutes thinking what shall I do about the issue, because asking at the bar felt like too much of an effort. I wasn't looking for a Bloody Mary or just a G&T, but something more simple - a glass of water. So I grabbed my empty glass and as I approached the terrace door, where there's the service table, the server of terrace finally realised to ask me would I like to have a glass of water. I think the food offering is nice and the bar seems decent, but I have to say I prefer the concept e.g. CX First Class Lounge has in T3. You can pour your own drinks, but there's also attentive table service.

Now as for the headline of the thread, I think I sum up by saying I wasn't either under- or overwhelmed, but I had realistic expectations. Now this doesn't exclude the fact that there's obviously work to be done and it's about BA being systematic regarding what they want the lounge to be in terms of its concept. As it currently stands, it's jolly good and a nice experience, but not stellar.
bafan and SavvyTravel like this.

Last edited by Flying Yazata; Nov 8, 2019 at 9:08 am
Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:03 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by celtic_warrior
re the staff, then how does Cathay, Qantas and Qatar and even Malayisan airlines get such good staff in their London lounges? I have had excellent services on each occasion I have visited those lounges. Perhaps it is due to lounge capacity etc.
I've no idea - maybe they pay them more? maybe they're better managed? Maybe there are not enough of them to provide service to that many people.? If I've ever waited more than 20 minutes for my food, I go and ask for the Lounge Manager. I've seen shelves in the drink fridges practically empty as no one has filled them. I do not often see the Lounge Manager (by that I mean the one from Baxter Storey (did someone say that the contract was changing?) out actually watching what they are doing.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I've no idea - maybe they pay them more? .
No doubt about that given the route will be subsidised in some shape or form.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
No doubt about that given the route will be subsidised in some shape or form.
Which route?
Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:22 am

I find my experiences very similar to this and I have only been twice with no desire to make it a third unless I find a great fare to otherwise make it worth it.

Very understaffed and busy.. hard to find it a relaxing space and the massage services are all but name
Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: BA Silver
Only flown F a couple of times, but preferred lounge hopping in T3 F compared to the CCR.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
Just adding to general tenet of this thread - it is all about expectations. I've been three times, been excited three times and had a great time, an average time and quite disappointed on the last visit - we went to T5B out of choice.

I'm a leisure traveller all on my own money so getting access feels like the place should be something special; and yet in reality, as others have said, it's a glorified waiting room with an air of exclusivity (I can still remember the feeling of going through the millionaires door, first time around).

The problem is that is not a good restaurant or a good cocktail bar or a good spa; it is average at all three. And the experience is all wrong as Flying Yazata observed, you only realise what's possible/allowed if you are on here. The obvious comparison is with VS. Home territory, flagship etc etc. And I would pick the VS Clubhouse every time. The only advantage of the CCR (and the first Wing) over the VS experience is the latter makes you walk through Duty Free and with the great unwashed.

Personally, I don't think the BA F ground experience is anywhere near differentiated enough. But then I remember that it is a giant hallway to a small metal tube that gets me where I am going and I realise that I'm lucky to be able to be able to travel in comfort and style.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
When used in relation to lounges, the phrase ‘maximise the experience’ (far from unique to the BAEC forum ..... have also come across it over on EK, many times) is, generally, little more than a euphemism for ‘stuffing myself with as much as (free) food & booze as possible’. And which perhaps explains why some folk look to (intentionally !!) spend what can seem virtually a whole day of their time at an airport. Definitely not my scene but hey ho whatever floats your boat. I guess the small number of pax who actually do this is more than balanced out by those who just ‘pop in’ for a relatively short period just ahead of their flight. As such, it is probably of no major concern to most airlines (although worth noting that pay-to-access lounges do of course tend to impose time limits).

Moving on to the thorny subject of ‘expectations’ : things get more complicated and I’m inclined to think that a range of different issues are at play - not least that of frustrating inconsistency in quality and service standards, ie, the one theme that raises its head here more frequently than any other with reference to BA.

All that said, it essentially comes down to a combination of a) what one might have read in advance and b) what other products or facilities one might have in mind - if any - as a reference point. I wholeheartedly concur with this comment earlier by Aledin :

Originally Posted by Aledin
I fail to see why expecting ones order to be correct or food warm is “unrealistic”. Expecting a decent level of service is also not unrealistic especially in what is BA’s flagship lounge. .............................

................... I have worked in the hospitality industry for 35 years and know well the difficulties of delivering consistent service with the problems of staffing in the modern world, when things don’t go to plan I seldom get stressed about it. That said - this is a place that caters for BA’s top customers or people who have paid a lot in either cash or Avios to be there - and BA need to work hard to get it right a high percentage of the time. It’s not right to tell customers to just lower our expectations.
Any CCR newcomers, on reading BA’s glowing description (quoted by Nicoolio at post #6 ) of their flagship offering could be forgiven for thinking that they are about to visit the best airline lounge in the world. But as a variation on the infamous quip by John Lennon (when asked about Ringo’s global status as drummer), I’m very much of the opinion that it’s not even the best lounge at Heathrow.
rossmacd and alex67500 like this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
I like the Concorde Room at Heathrow but I have a few poor experiences. I need a few visits before forming a view.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Rubecula
I like the Concorde Room at Heathrow but I have a few poor experiences. I need a few visits before forming a view.
Oh, I say!! This is BAFT, remember, not a Court of Law. Have a rant ... go on, you know you want to!
Old Nov 8, 2019, 10:31 am

I’m not a regular visitor, maybe once or twice a year for the last 5 or 6, always on a reward ticket.
The first visit was quite exciting, but since then I’ve never gotten overly excited about it. For me it’s a very nice spot to sit and grab a quick drink, bite to eat etc. But I wouldn’t go out of my way to spend extra time in there.
As my F flights are always on an avios redemption that starts at NCL I usually end up having around two hours in there due to the timings of available reward flights. For that function it’s a very nice thing to have.

With regard to waiting to get drink or food service I’ve never had an issue, as if there isn’t a member of staff around I’ll simply get up off my backside and go to the bar and ask for what I want.
I appreciate what people are saying about the service being more proactive in what is a flagship lounge, but I just think it’s a little futile sitting and getting annoyed about it when a 30 second walk would get you what you want sooner.

I think a lot of first time visitors to the CCR who post on here will likely have spent quite a bit of time looking at online reviews, youtube videos etc before their visit. I know I did.
Depending on what you read, expectations can be a little elevated.

I’m taking my girlfriend in there for the first time in January.
I’ve simply told her that we can visit the lounge before our flight. As she’s not like a lot of us on here (i.e she’s a normal person ), I know fine well that she’ll not do any research on the place beforehand.
Having not done so and therefore not receiving any of the marketing blurb mentioned above, she’ll not have even considered “maximising the experience” of the place.
I fully expect that she’ll really enjoy being able to visit and have a glass of champagne or cocktail in comfortable surroundings before the flight. But I don’t think she’ll see it as being the epitome of luxury or anything else.
Cap'n Benj and T8191 like this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by Spruce-Moose
I’m not a regular visitor, maybe once or twice a year for the last 5 or 6, always on a reward ticket.
The first visit was quite exciting, but since then I’ve never gotten overly excited about it. For me it’s a very nice spot to sit and grab a quick drink, bite to eat etc. But I wouldn’t go out of my way to spend extra time in there.
As my F flights are always on an avios redemption that starts at NCL I usually end up having around two hours in there due to the timings of available reward flights. For that function it’s a very nice thing to have.

With regard to waiting to get drink or food service I’ve never had an issue, as if there isn’t a member of staff around I’ll simply get up off my backside and go to the bar and ask for what I want.
I appreciate what people are saying about the service being more proactive in what is a flagship lounge, but I just think it’s a little futile sitting and getting annoyed about it when a 30 second walk would get you what you want sooner.

I think a lot of first time visitors to the CCR who post on here will likely have spent quite a bit of time looking at online reviews, youtube videos etc before their visit. I know I did.
Depending on what you read, expectations can be a little elevated.

I’m taking my girlfriend in there for the first time in January.
I’ve simply told her that we can visit the lounge before our flight. As she’s not like a lot of us on here (i.e she’s a normal person ), I know fine well that she’ll not do any research on the place beforehand.
Having not done so and therefore not receiving any of the marketing blurb mentioned above, she’ll not have even considered “maximising the experience” of the place.
I fully expect that she’ll really enjoy being able to visit and have a glass of champagne or cocktail in comfortable surroundings before the flight. But I don’t think she’ll see it as being the epitome of luxury or anything else.
This is a great post. For those of us not constantly comparing lounges, getting irate when there is not someone to take your drink order within the first 5 minutes of sitting down, the CCR is a great place to wait for a flight.

It is busy now, a sign surely that the F service is doing well. Numbers will obviously be cut as F is removed from many aircraft and changed to 8 seats, I think the CCR will get better and better over the coming years

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.