Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade in U Selling Class for Free - How?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2019, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Upgrade in U Selling Class for Free - How?

Hi!

I booked a return flight from Boston to Munich in WTP on the long haul legs to and from LHR and in Economy for the short haul legs. I talked to the hotline twice today about upgrading one of the Long haul legs using Avios. However, the additional taxes and surcharges for this upgrade were too high for me so they didn't do it and always ended the call with "we will leave the booking as is.".

For my LHR - BOS leg I noticed like ten minutes after the second call that my seat assignment got cancelled so I wanted to assign me a seat again only to find out that suddenly got upgraded to CW. I now have a seat in CW and also receive additional 50 tier points and about 2300 extra Avios. The selling class updated to U for the flight from LHR to BOS. How is this possible? My credit card wasn't charged.

I am a silver member and already speculated on an complementary upgrade since im travelling alone and the WTP was almost fully booked already for this leg while business class is almost all empty. Is this a legit upgrade and do I receive the extra miles and tier points? Should I call again and check or just leave it as is? Can they downgrade me again?

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 4, 2019, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
you don't have a seat in CW. This is a kink in BAs systems when people ask about upgrades.

You were never actually upgraded so can't be downgraded

It's too early for you to have been op-upped
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Oh bummer! When do I see my actual booking class then and my assigned seat?

you don't have a seat in CW.
My new seat is confirmed tho?

It's too early for you to have been op-upped
that's what I thought, too..
Old Nov 4, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by Max Nitze
Can they downgrade me again?
Yes, wouldn’t be surprised if it gets reversed. If it sticks, great!

In your position I’d keep quiet, check-in (or try to) 24 hours before flight.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
Yes, wouldn’t be surprised if it gets reversed. If it sticks, great!

In your position I’d keep quiet, check-in (or try to) 24 hours before flight.
Haha alright then, I will see what happens... my new seat in CW is confirmed tho but u guess that doesn't have to mean anything.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Yes, you won't be travelling in CW until your ticket gets reissued in U class. Which it won't, because you didn't complete payment.

Hopefully it will revert to T soon so you can reselect your seat (and actually be booked in the cabin correctly). You're currently in limbo, really.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 3:08 am
Original Poster

Hi y’all!

little update from my side: I did get the reserved seat in C after I couldn’t checkin online a day before departure and at the checkin desk in Munich. I had to do it in LHR for the flight to Boston but they didn’t ask any questions and just handed me the boarding pass with my reserved seat assigned to me.

so I guess I was just lucky then? 😊

✌️
Old Dec 3, 2019, 4:18 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by Max Nitze
Hi y’all!

little update from my side: I did get the reserved seat in C after I couldn’t checkin online a day before departure and at the checkin desk in Munich. I had to do it in LHR for the flight to Boston but they didn’t ask any questions and just handed me the boarding pass with my reserved seat assigned to me.

so I guess I was just lucky then? 😊

✌️
Indeed, BA it at its best. silence paid off on your side. If you had called they would have realised and put you back in T but presumably T got full and as you already had CW seat you got lucky Well done for the nerves
EDIwanderer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.