Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAG buys Air Europa for 1000M Euros

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2019, 5:13 am

Programs: Confirmed
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
Keeping Aer Lingus will hopefully attract Gerry Adams to fly it? Is that a serious comment?
No. Just read it in my norn Irish accent.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by SKRan
if you literally scroll down 2cm you’d see Eurowings, Sun etc...

why SN doesn’t get a mention i don’t understand but guess they’ve not updated the web after it would no longer become Eurowings.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by NickB
Really? Who are the other competitors that will prevent IAG having a monopoly on intra-Spanish routes like MAD-BCN, MAD-VLC, MAD-PMI, MAD-ACE, etc...?
Ryanair and the High-Speed train network.

Actually, for MAD-VLC/BCN/SVQ/ACE the plane is already not the preferred option for travelling. Most people will go for the train (which is expanding and opening to multiple private train operators in 2021), and only use the plane if they have to connect or as the low-cost alternative (yes, the HS train is normally more expensive than the plane).

The only real concern will be the Balearics and the Canary Islands. But that ones are heavily targeted by FR.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 7:19 am

On a Ryanair conference call with analysts on Monday, Mr O’Leary said: “We will certainly be looking for the competition authorities to require some competition divestments, particularly in the area of Europa’s short-haul presence on some of the Spanish domestics [routes] and the European short-haul but otherwise we would certainly be supportive of that type of consolidation.”

https://www.ft.com/content/7b130064-...c-f3fa4e77dd47
Old Nov 4, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: KA "The Elite"
Let's see what ST proposes to UX Suma refugees.... Back to Flying Poo most probably...
Old Nov 4, 2019, 7:59 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
if you literally scroll down 2cm you’d see Eurowings, Sun etc...

why SN doesn’t get a mention i don’t understand but guess they’ve not updated the web after it would no longer become Eurowings.
SN are mentioned on https://www.lufthansagroup.com/en/co...-airlines.html
Old Nov 4, 2019, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by dsf
We are slightly OT.

I do think IAG should consolidate brands to make a pan-European value airline, and have a fresh looking low cost operations alongside BA IB and EI.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 9:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Must admit I thought they'd gone bust ages ago due to the likes of IB LH KLM BA offering competitive economy fares on long haul routes such as EZE.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by ajamieson
It will be run by Iberia (gulp) as a standalone and the brand "will initially be retained" which doesn't sound very positive for the longer term.
Nothing wrong with Iberia! They have good lounges in Madrid and nice intra-EU J service, IME.
kingstontoon and Ramos like this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: BA Gold
It’s believed that IAG’s original offer of 10 billion Avios plus €900,000,000 cash plus taxes was unsuccessful. 😉
Old Nov 4, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: AZ Executive (STE+) - FB Silver (STÉ)- Lounge Key
Continue accruing on UX or switch FFP now?

Originally Posted by longliveKA
Let's see what ST proposes to UX Suma refugees.... Back to Flying Poo most probably...
hello,

As an UX member Flying mostly AF, I am wondering which approach to follow now:
- continue accruing on UX and waiting for status match possibility coming from who (?) or
- already switch from Scratch on FB / any other ST FFP -> No more ST perks then for a while as showing the card only works for few ST services...
- Contact FB for status match request.

Any FTer who experience such case. Maybe after CZ freeze out of ST?
Old Nov 4, 2019, 11:01 am

I recommend posing that question on the AF forum, where people will be more familiar with their policies.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 11:12 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
For those interested in Air Europa's routes, this was taken from the April edition of Europa, their fairly cerebral inflight magazine. EDI and ABZ were Air France codeshares. The notes on the first two images indicated that Air Europa had through ticketing with RENFE and DB for train service in respectively Spain and Germany.

The _Banking_Scot and HIDDY like this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by denhaagflyer
Well, I guess that is the "revenge" for LATAM leaving OW. If it were not for that, this should certainly raise enormous competition concerns! And I do not really see why IB would fly to some of the destinations with both mainline and with Air Europa; maybe split into different markets, like Air Canada does it with Rouge - IB for business-heavy routes and UX for leisure-heavy?
This article suggests that LATAM leaving OW has mainly repurcussions on AA not on BA and Qantas:

Qantas, for instance, has built its Latin America strategy around partnering with LATAM. Cueto says he hopes to continue LATAM’s partnerships with British Airways, Iberia, and with Qantas.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by catsniper75
hello,

As an UX member Flying mostly AF, I am wondering which approach to follow now:
- continue accruing on UX and waiting for status match possibility coming from who (?) or
- already switch from Scratch on FB / any other ST FFP -> No more ST perks then for a while as showing the card only works for few ST services...
- Contact FB for status match request.

Any FTer who experience such case. Maybe after CZ freeze out of ST?
At least wait until it passed the authorities. It’s not definite yet as other posters pointed out - competition issues on domestic Spanish routes.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.