Wiki Posts
Search

Smartest way to book open leg

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2019, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
Smartest way to book open leg

Maybe that's for the fare thread? Very specific though.
As we are planning a cruise with parents, being 4 in total starting in Vancouver to Tokyo.. Brings the question on how to book this.
I had always loved to try jal first.. But that won't be possible. Everything out of ba is probably way more expensive.
Most effective I guess is to book one ways to van and back from nrt and then use 2 guf1 and a joker for 4 first places...
Or do you have an idea of a multi leg cheap fare starting anywhere in Europe to those destinations?
800k avios is quite a lot, too for all..
Old Oct 22, 2019, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
The airport code for Vancouver is YVR. If you search for VAN, you will be looking at an airport in eastern Turkey.

Have you actually tried pricing such an itinerary using ba.com? Have you tried using ITA?

Using published fares, your main issue will be potential combinability problems. On the quickest of searches, it looks like the only trans-Atlantic fares that will combine are the most expensive full-fare fares (Y class in economy, J class in business - that's as far as I got). This seems to apply whether you start in the UK or on mainland Europe.

So this is a scenario in which one idea might be to get a price from the cruise line, which may be able to sell you the flights at fares closer to I class published fares in both directions.
nancypants, Cymro and orbitmic like this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 2:11 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Cruise line would be my first port of call, as it were.

Failing that, one-ways from Asia are usually much less painful than from Europe to the US. For instance, MH currently has NRT-KUL-LHR for under £2k one-way in F. This is on the A350 and should bring 450 TP too.

And of course, BA's A fares to YVR can be combined with cheap T fares from the US.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thinking one step further, how about looking for a one-way award from Tokyo to a BA port in North America, and then buying a round-trip/open-jaw ticket to/from North America in both directions? That would then be priced at I class levels in both directions.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Thinking one step further, how about looking for a one-way award from Tokyo to a BA port in North America, and then buying a round-trip/open-jaw ticket to/from North America in both directions? That would then be priced at I class levels in both directions.
Something like that came to my mind. Maybe book one of the round trips to asia for like 1k pounds.. Either qsuites or ba and use the F voucher..
And then just use avios for a one way C trip to Vancouver before starting the cruise.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Cruise line as first solution, failing that this is a case where buying award tickets is best as you don't get penalised for one ways.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
Using the thread to go a little off-piste ... would the optimal way to get this route on Avios be via a BA 241 voucher open jaw LHR-YVR-surface-Tokyo-LHR.?
The YVR to either Tokyo airport distance is (just) less than the flights out/in to LHR.
Just asking as this is a serious option in fall 2020 for us.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If there are only two of you travelling, then that would seem to be a good use of Avios + a 2-4-1 voucher.
SavvyTravel likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.