Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR to LAX Econ out, business return - advice for a newbie

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR to LAX Econ out, business return - advice for a newbie

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: Accor Classic, BA Silver, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Personally, i'd use the upgrade on a day flight - either on the way out, or coming back via BOS/NYC to use the day flight options (don't think there are others?).
Coming back via NYC is a very good suggestion. The last time I went to LA, I flew out direct, but came back AA Transcontinental First LAX-JFK, stayed overnight in NYC, then flew JFK-LHR upstairs in Club World on a BA 747. That way, I enjoyed two daytime flights, which were much more civilised than an overnight flight, even on a flat bed.
Sam Bee, Mr.JimmyFlyer and RobBal like this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avios
Wow, didn't expect such comprehensive assistance here. The forum (probably a good idea) seems to restrict me from posting too often, but just wanted to say I'm very grateful to everybody for your views. Every single one of them is really useful and food for thought.

SavvyTravel Great idea on buying my daughters fare in cash! As you say, not only does that allow more flexibility, but it means that we are fully covered with points, indeed, given I will have around 130,000 at time of booking I would have 51,500 points remaining. And of course, I will continue to earn them. Do you know, if we have a mixture of Reward Flight Seats a Cash Seat, would that cause any issues in terms of coordinating seats etc.? (never done this before!) Also, do we know if it would be possible to bag upgrades on the WT seat if it comes up later? I was thinking it would be good to try to use some points to upgrade the WT to WTP at some point if possible??

VictorSierra Yep, get what you are saying. What really appeals to me and what is the big differentiator for me is the flat bed, which we would only use on an overnight. Funnily enough, I'm not that bothered, I've flown Vegas to London Premium before for work and slept fine, but I know my wife and daughter particularly would love it as they really dislike overnight flights normally - so I just want to make it more comfortable for them. I only actually sleep about 6 hours a night normally, and it's a 10 hour flight(?) - so I think I'll still get the benefit of the service experience, albeit only partially. At the end of the day, I'd love to do it both ways but that looks out of reach.

Sam Bee Yeah, like Victor, completely get what your saying and I don't disagree. In terms of service, clearly day flights are the way to go. Going via NYC etc., to get a day flight - i don't think I can use the 2 for 1 voucher?

BrianDromey Really good point about the seat availability, hadn't thought of that..

mikeyfly That's a really good point and one I will keep in mind. I must admit I was staggered by the taxes, as somebody else on here said, they bite! My aim is to keep cost under control so to maximise our spending money for our holiday, so I will keep an eye on cash fares with mind to upgrade.

More to think about than I realised! Slightly overwhelming! Thanks again everybody.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 2:42 am

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
RobBal Totally understand the sense of being overwhelmed. But if I were you at this point (and obviously I don't know your finances!), I would pick certainty over possibles.

Therefore, as you might indeed want to get the best of business with a day flight (plus the LHR T5 lounge experiences and fast track etc), I would suggest that the optimal balance of your 130k Avios and cash would be to save hard for a few months and come May book....
  • a 241 CW return - 125k avios plus £667 x 2 for the adults plus a child return in cash £1500 = £3k in total. [The equivalent cash fare in May 2020 is £5k.]
Completely appreciate that this is more than the £1600 you thought. But as any upgrade to WTP (cash or avios) will cost you £100 each in extra APD (and £200 for your chlld) - that's already £400 more than your base price. Plus you said you were buying some Avios (let's say 20,000 which is a whopping £335) and you can see that the price gap isn't so huge. Sadly this seems to be the way of the premium cabin world - "it's only xxx more".

[[Side bar, if you haven't got an Amex Gold, free in first year, you could sign up for one and get 10k in points that equals 10k avios; I think that that welcome bonus is still allowed even if you have the BA Amex and, if so, you can refer yourself to get 9k(?) extra]]

You'll then end up with the three seats you want booked a year out and even more time to save a bit more to compensate for the extra cost.

But is it worth it? Of course, I'd say so particularly the first time. No queues, free drinks, space, a TV you can watch etc. And a bed you can sleep in (even on a day flight!). And yes, you get bragging rights with your friends that you went to LA, business class "on points".

Make it the trip of a lifetime and then you'll be hooked. It happened to me and I dare say a goodly number of others too.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avios
SavvyTravel really useful, thank you. I’m actually working on site at Heathrow at moment, so I’m here at the moment. Talked through your options here today with people here whom are regular travellers and said £1k busienss return to LA, and their response was “don’t hesitate” This holiday we want to do road trip up West Coast (big sur), San Fran, Yosemite and Disney! Not sure how much we can stretch the purse to be honest, but massive food for thought! Luckily I also have big points with IHG, so hopefully max these as well. Thank you, really appreciate it. Will let you know what we figure out.
SavvyTravel likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.