Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA will offset its carbon emissions, starting with UK domestic flights from 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA will offset its carbon emissions, starting with UK domestic flights from 2020

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold life/ GGL and U2 plus
Why should we in Scotland , N Ireland , Newcastle ect be the sacrifical lamb to be hung out to,alow more slots to be made available to non UK destinations?
Old Oct 13, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by email2markt
... it's appropriate to have UK domestic flights
We can definitely cement the dominance of south-east England in the UK economy and prosperity, while exacerbating its housing and other problems, by removing UK domestic flights. Even more so if we remove UK domestic flights without a high speed ground connection (with predictable pricing and sufficient capacity) from Scotland and Northern England. Is that the plan?

Poor communications (in this case the logistics sense, not the data-transfer sense) already adversely affect the economy, and therefore health and wellbeing, of people living in smaller cities and rural areas remote from S-E England. Further worsening them will only exacerbate that problem. Who do we want to cut off in the name of climate emergency? Will we relocate them to cities? What will happen to the work they do - principally growing the food eaten in the cities?

It's a bit more complicated than "climate emergency == no domestic aviation".
Old Oct 13, 2019, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by 47Aitken
Why should we in Scotland , N Ireland , Newcastle ect be the sacrifical lamb to be hung out to,alow more slots to be made available to non UK destinations?
Because you can get to local destinations by other means, but taking the train to Hong Kong is significantly more inconvenient?
Old Oct 14, 2019, 12:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold life/ GGL and U2 plus
Yes and how about the 30 odd daily flights within Scotland to the the islands and the 20 odd from Scotland to N Ireland , we dont all have access to private yachts - lets get real !
HIDDY likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 1:13 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by MarkFlies

[Turning picky mode on. ]

The Isle of Man and Jersey are not really cities. And neither of them is in the UK.

What is C-zero-two?
Clearly, the C-02 is some new aircraft designation :-p
Old Oct 14, 2019, 1:14 am

Programs: Confirmed
Frequent flyers should be hit by an “escalating air miles levy” to put them off flying too much, rather than encouraged by reward schemes, the report says.

The suggestions are aimed at the 15 per cent of the UK population estimated to be responsible for 70 per cent of flights, many of whom take additional flights to “maintain their privileged traveller status”.
https://www.independent.co.uk/enviro...-a9154581.html
Old Oct 14, 2019, 1:22 am

Programs: Confirmed
And yet HS2 also gets review because of environmental concerns. Debates on these national important issues are important but decision must be taken in due course, otherwise time is wasted and the environment gets hit both ways.

The poor rail performance contributed to the domestic aviation market. If I can reach central London and LHR for under 3 hours from a Scottish or Northern English town centre station on frequent and reliable train services, I would definitely choose rail. Eurostar on London-Paris market is a prominent example.

Franchising might end in this upcoming Queen’s speech?
Old Oct 14, 2019, 2:39 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
HS2 is also under review on account of its costs rising and this apparently being suppressed by a former Chancellor who now edits a newspaper. This is the main driver behind it - determine if the cost is worth it.

This is going off topic, but I'm not sure about HS2. I support it in principle but fear costs will continue to balloon (which they already have) and that we'll end up with the line stopping in Manchester and achieving little other than stretching the London commuter belt further north. It is also a pity that it won't bring the journey from London to Edinburgh down to the 3hr mark, although I assume the cost required to do this would be prohibitive.

Back on topic(ish) Using rail transport can only replace domestic flying to a certain extent. Connections etc. would be a disaster without domestic flights even on short segments like MAN-LHR. Unless BA wants to move aircraft to EDI, GLA, MAN etc, connecting flights are here to stay.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 7:19 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by email2markt
I'm increasingly hearing people talk about whether it's appropriate to have UK domestic flights at all during a climate emergency. For the majority of routes there are less harmful alternatives available. I think BA have seen it coming.
But do these "people" actually need to travel to some of the further parts of the UK on a regular basis? I hear such arguments that are always based on the assumption that people start their journeys in the centre of London and want to go to the centre of Edinburgh, Glasgow, etc. If I want to visit family in Scotland for a weekend, it simply is not viable by train. I would need to take the Friday afternoon off work to get into London, across London and catch a train that would get me there the same day (albeit too late to then get public transport at that end). Then on return you have to leave by lunchtime and run the gauntlet of weekend engineering works, possibly with the pleasure of a replacement bus service for part of your journey. I would then be paying twice as much for a door-to-door journey that would take twice as long!

Given the amount of concrete used in the rail industry, I am sceptical that there is really such a gap in terms of environmental impact between the two forms of transport if you take the construction impact into consideration.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by muscat
Maybe time to start weighing passengers as well as luggage and base the price on the combined weight.
Yes. Don't bigger people use up more resources?
Old Oct 14, 2019, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Because you can get to local destinations by other means, but taking the train to Hong Kong is significantly more inconvenient?
In the past they got everywhere without airplanes. Just calling it "convenience" means you think people who fly are just flying for "convenience"? In the same way people who drive do it for convenience? Maybe we should ban cars as well, if people can walk there in a day (let's say 20km). It is better for everybody that way.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 7:33 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by muscat
Maybe time to start weighing passengers as well as luggage and base the price on the combined weight.
Sure. Tall people get the business class seats and smaller people get the densified economy cabin then
Bohinjska Bistrica likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Originally Posted by NickB
<snip>. As an approximation, 1.5xY for CE would be far closer than 1.0xY, I would have thought. Perhaps treating 1 in 10 CE flights as Y if you want to give some token recognition to the fact that you might be slightly lower than the average due to traveling HBO might get you closer to the mark.
I don't really see anything to attribute more weight to a BA CE passenger than a BA ET passenger; casual observations of people, bags and luggage carousels admittedly.
That leaves the seat weight. Well the modern seats come in at around 9 or 10kg each. So taking 50% of that for the marginal extra weight for a CE passenger on flights with middle seats free; gets us to +5kg … maybe a tad more for heavier crockery!
Anyway, applying that extra to somewhere in the order of 60kg to 120kg for the average passenger/baggage combo is pretty marginal. I'm happy to allow Prospero his 1.0x
Old Oct 15, 2019, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by littlefish
I don't really see anything to attribute more weight to a BA CE passenger than a BA ET passenger; casual observations of people, bags and luggage carousels admittedly.
That leaves the seat weight. Well the modern seats come in at around 9 or 10kg each. So taking 50% of that for the marginal extra weight for a CE passenger on flights with middle seats free; gets us to +5kg … maybe a tad more for heavier crockery!
Anyway, applying that extra to somewhere in the order of 60kg to 120kg for the average passenger/baggage combo is pretty marginal. I'm happy to allow Prospero his 1.0x
This would be a reasonable approximation if we assumed that an empty aircraft has a weight of 0kg. I do not think that such a plane has been designed yet, so the fewer the number of passengers in a plane, the higher the consumption per passenger. A CE passenger occupies 1.5 more space than a Y passenger (4 CE passengers per row instead of 6 Y passengers per row). You are correct that we need to factor in that there will notionally be 200 kg less in pax+bag in a CE row due to their being only 4 passengers instead of 6. So, So, the multiplier should be is a little less than 1.5, hence why I suggest to discount one out of every 10 flights as a rough approximation. I do not have the competence to do proper calculations on this so I admit that it is an extremely rough guesstimate. Those on this board who dream of Breguet equations at night can undoubtedly tell us more as to whether a reduction of, say, 1200kg in payload (i.e. if we assume 6 rows of CE=12 fewer passengers than in an all-Y config) in a typical A320 family intra-European flight leads to substantially more than a 10% decrease in fuel consumption, in which case the discount factor on the notion 1.5 differential between Y and C would have to be increased.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 2:48 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

Just as well I neglected to mention those CE flights this year where I’ve been the beneficiary of theoretical seating
littlefish likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.