Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New Route Gatwick - Antalya eff Summer 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2019, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, VS, Costa Coffee, My Waitrose

Just come up on my Facebook feed : -

"As we shape our summer 2020 schedule, we’re excited to announce the launch of a new route to Antalya, Turkey. Taking flight from 30 April 2020, we will be flying six times a week to this holiday hotspot from London Gatwick in the summer season.

Available to book from today, Antalya becomes our third destination in Turkey and will be operated on our A320 aircraft."
Old Oct 9, 2019, 6:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Thanks, spotted elsewhere as well, it should be a sh+ route

Also LGW to GIB and LIG will not return next summer

Old Oct 9, 2019, 6:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Looking forward to this next year, already booked!

This has Thomas Cook all over it, Antalya / Belek was a big one for them. Maybe there will be more like this to come.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A long way on a BA A320. TK looks a lot more appealing
Old Oct 9, 2019, 7:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
A long way on a BA A320. TK looks a lot more appealing
The direct operators are BA, TK, easyJet, Jet2 and Tui. TK uses 737s on the LGW route, and some of their services arrive at 02:00 or 03:00 hrs in the morning.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Great stuff! Do you think BA will take over routes to Enfidha and Monastir?
Old Oct 9, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Any feedback on it as a destination for a family holiday in the summer holidays? Reading warnings of ridiculous heat.... any nice beaches that aren't overrun with the crazy huuuuge resorts i saw on first glance?
Old Oct 9, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Shame about Limoges - flights were always busy but of course may not be profitable. That route is back in the domain of Ryanair
Old Oct 9, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Neilson have quite a few beach clubs in the area and they used Thomas Cook Airlines extensively. At one point TC owned Neilson as part of a diversification into activity holidays. I wonder if Neilson have made a block reservation on some of these flights.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Any feedback on it as a destination for a family holiday in the summer holidays? Reading warnings of ridiculous heat.... any nice beaches that aren't overrun with the crazy huuuuge resorts i saw on first glance?
Looking at some the TC substantial passengers numbers - 8 million passengers a year - Antalya indeed has the mega resorts but their second market there was self catering, which is often in smaller locations.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 9:36 am

This is quite disappointing if it does mean the death of the Limoges route, all the times I had flown the route it seemed busy. And I can't imagine Limoges airport was expensive for BA. I will probably go with Eurostar next year rather than traipse from South London to Stansted and Ryanair.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: BAEC
It’s a shame to lose 2 routes from Gatwick, did GIB not perform well for them at Gatwick?

If BA want another French route then La Rochelle may work in the summer. It’s a beautiful city and region and easyJet have a solid presence already, with Jet2 beginning to launch flights from the airport.

Antalya is a good destination to add and not surprising given TCXs demise.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
Excellent, just booked for our summer holiday next year on Avios (had to call up, online not working). Plumped for CE, getting too old for 4+ hours in ET.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 4:02 am

Programs: BA EC
The runway length at La Rochelle limits the aircraft size that can use it.

It is at the limit of landing performance for a 738: Flap 40, max autobrake and full reverse and the end comes up real quick!

In the wet it's a nightmare; better to go to Nantes and drive!
Old Oct 10, 2019, 5:11 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by 737Av8tor
The runway length at La Rochelle limits the aircraft size that can use it.

It is at the limit of landing performance for a 738: Flap 40, max autobrake and full reverse and the end comes up real quick!

In the wet it's a nightmare; better to go to Nantes and drive!
It shouldn’t be too much trouble for an A319 though but I appreciate that logistically it could be more work than it’s worth.

Anyone got any other destinations that BA could be adding from Gatwick next season?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.