Wiki Posts
Search

Miami advice thanks in advance

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2019, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold IHG Ambassador Spire Shangri La Diamond
Miami advice thanks in advance

In December we are flying in on AA from San Juan due to arrive around 1415. We have a separate ticket on BA0208 that leaves at 21.25. We know our luggage cannot be checked through so a question, what will be the earliest we can drop off the luggage and head for the lounges or possibly head into Miami for a short time.

If we cannot drop luggage until around 1800 is there any luggage storage (cannot find anywhere online) An alternative is we load up a trolley and have a late lunch landslide but our experience in other airports was we were not allowed into restaurants with luggage - would this apply in Miami?

Appreciate we have got a slightly awkward connection gap, just looking for suggestions for how to minimise the hanging around frustrations (changing flights is not an option btw)
Old Oct 9, 2019, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Go to Manage Booking; Check-in -> Other ways to check in

Airport desks

4 hours before departure

1 hour before departure

Location - Red side of Terminal
This shows for my TPA next month
Old Oct 9, 2019, 4:20 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
I think you could drop the luggage as soon as you get to the check-in desk.
If not, there is indeed a luggage storage available at MIA Baggage Storage - Miami International Airport
Old Oct 9, 2019, 5:09 am

Programs: BAEC
If you're serious about going out of the airport then renting a car and piling the luggage into it is also an option.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 5:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
You could ask AA to check it through expecting the answer to be no, but you might get lucky. BA206 departs around 6'ish so the check-in desks would be open earlier.. they might be able to check your bags in then.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 5:29 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by thegreatmrsj
is there any luggage storage (cannot find anywhere online)
This took 10 seconds to find with Google

Baggage Storage - Miami International Airport
Old Oct 9, 2019, 5:34 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by psychopompos
If you're serious about going out of the airport then renting a car and piling the luggage into it is also an option.
Maybe it's me, but i don't find it a very comfortable option compared to simply leave the luggage at the storage and use the public transport...
Old Oct 9, 2019, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, I have had some issues with my tablet so searching was not giving results apologies ajeleonard.
I think we will see if they will take our bags early at checkin failing that we will look at storage for a short time at least for the two larger cases.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
While I'm no MIAMI expert - I would always caution common sense if you rent a vehicle and pile with luggage verify none of it is in plain site in parking area as I've known two different people who had their bags/luggage/laptop stolen from a rental car in a parking lot. In both cases I think items were left which is attraction for an evil onlooking watching the party walk into their destination/restaurant/shopping area.
thegreatmrsj likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Originally Posted by RooseveltL
While I'm no MIAMI expert - I would always caution common sense if you rent a vehicle and pile with luggage verify none of it is in plain site in parking area as I've known two different people who had their bags/luggage/laptop stolen from a rental car in a parking lot. In both cases I think items were left which is attraction for an evil onlooking watching the party walk into their destination/restaurant/shopping area.
I had all my luggage stolen (passport included) from a locked car boot some years back whilst getting in a last few hours of skiing. The perpetrators must have watched us get stuff out of the boot and get changed, as nothing was in sight. So beware!
thegreatmrsj likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: BA gold
The BA check-in opens at 1pm. We have checked in shortly after this time for BA208.
PETER01 likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by psychopompos
I wouldnt rent a car and drive around Miami unless it is something that you really really want to see and do. The parking, if you find some is $20 to $50. I would recommend a quick trip over to the Everglades though to see the alligators and what not.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Greyscot
The BA check-in opens at 1pm. We have checked in shortly after this time for BA208.
Excellent I think we have our solution, thank you everyone!!
Old Oct 9, 2019, 9:32 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I did this exact thing from ATL connecting to BA in MIA on a separate ticket, and after just mentioning it conversationally to the AA agent, she actually volunteered to check it through. That was several years ago, though, before Dougie had his claws so deeply into AA.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 3:11 am

Programs: BA, Emirates, IHG, Accor, Marriott, Hilton
I did the car hire option - I was planning on checking my luggage in, but the desk wasn't open when I got there. As I had a car booked anyway it all went in the boot and off we went shopping for the afternoon.
thegreatmrsj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.