Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does a frequent search increase the price?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2019, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Does a frequent search increase the price?

Been looking at flight LGW to PFO 16 Sept for the last few days and today the price has increased a little. Just its a year away so I'm surprised. Is it because I have been looking or has it genuinely gone up, is there any way of telling? Should I wait to see if it goes back down or can I clear my cookies or something? Thanks
Old Oct 8, 2019, 6:35 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
If you look at it using incognito mode and the price is still the same then I think you can answer the question about whether it is in anyway related to you viewing the flight. In my experience there is no such link between looking at a flight over a few days and the price changing.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
This doesn't happen on BA when booking direct. The inventory is pretty much public and so are the prices. If someone buys the last ticket for a certain fare bucket or if exchange rates change, this can happen.

Online travel agents however could be doing that, as they have control on how much they charge.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by paulaf
Been looking at flight LGW to PFO 16 Sept for the last few days and today the price has increased a little. Just its a year away so I'm surprised. Is it because I have been looking or has it genuinely gone up, is there any way of telling? Should I wait to see if it goes back down or can I clear my cookies or something? Thanks
Flight prices can change very quickly due to availability and its that simple. This is an online myth that has come about because people look at a price wait then go back and the price has changed. I think because the interval between the first time and then going back to see it increase can vary from a long time to a short time (because its based on availability) is what makes people question it.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: BA Silver
As well as not being true, the logic for implementing such a feature would be quite questionable- you could easily dissuade someone from booking by suddenly increasing the price, as easily as panicking them into booking immediately.
Calchas likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Don't forget that searching using an Apple device will increase the price, as you are presumed to be better off than PC or Android users.

(Technically very easy to implement- chances of actually being true? Slim)
Old Oct 8, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
I would also recommend clearing your cookies in between searches. I have seen this happen several times, especially if I do a search on Kayak.com specifically. Have also experienced it on BA and AA sites, but more-so on aggregate travel sites.

Interesting theory on the Apple/PC devices. I wonder how true that is!
Old Oct 8, 2019, 9:24 am

You can make unlimited searches and ensure you don’t move the price by wearing a tinfoil hat when you’re at the computer.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
I agree with the comment on clearing cookies and it DOES happen when booking direct with BA.
bruceba, expatboy and KenTarmac like this.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 9:54 am

There are loads of instances of this on Twitter, many with screenshots. Even BA's Twitter team recommend clearing cookies as that can affect the price shown.

Old Oct 8, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Schind
There are loads of instances of this on Twitter, many with screenshots. Even BA's Twitter team recommend clearing cookies as that can affect the price shown.
That's the opposite problem though, someone searches for a price and the current price is stored in a cooking (no idea why they think this is a good idea) then the price increases but a subsequent search from the same computer first returns the old price and then the notification that it has increased.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 10:17 am

Old Oct 8, 2019, 10:20 am

Would be useful to come up with some actual examples so we can see why there are differences, rather than just posting stuff from twitter which is not exactly a reliable source. I suspect there is a rational explanation for the one you posted which doesn't involve BA target pricing individual people.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 10:20 am

My words disappeared from that last message! I was saying those tweets were just an example of what BA were saying. The above screen shot is another example of how the prices are different on different devices.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Schind
My words disappeared from that last message! I was saying those tweets were just an example of what BA were saying. The above screen shot is another example of how the prices are different on different devices.
Without any ability to see what the detail is, they are not evidence of anything. As you will know from FT fares are complicated and most people on twitter will not have any understanding of what is going on.

What examples have you found yourself?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.