Wiki Posts
Search

How to collect 300TP? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2019, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

How to collect 300TP? HELP!

Good Evening Folks,

I’m wondering if you can assist me once again?

For the first time ever I think I may hit Gold on BAEC, I always seem to miss out on it, so for the fun of it I want to actually achieve Gold Status.

I need to earn 300 TP, I have a free weekend coming up in November and would like to know, which would be the best way to do this without breaking the bank?
I live in BHX. I need to be in Dublin 17 November 2019 but back in London the following day (18 November 2019)

Current Tier Points = 840
SA December Trip = 360 TP (AMS - LHR - JNB - LHR - AMS)
Total = 1200 TP

**I have a trip to Bali late Jan but I’ve yet to purchase my ticket and might try another airline (not One World) depending on sale prices.

Many thanks.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

When does your mebership year end? If it is after your Bail trip you could fly via Doha on Qatar and get 4*140 tps for 560 total.
For your november trip is the 17th-18th your free weekend for this run?

Regards

TBS
Old Oct 3, 2019, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

When does your mebership year end? If it is after your Bail trip you could fly via Doha on Qatar and get 4*140 tps for 560 total.
For your november trip is the 17th-18th your free weekend for this run?

Regards

TBS

Thank you for your prompt response.
  1. Year ends April 2020
  2. I need to fly to BKK for 3 nights then Bali for 7 nights in Jan.
  3. I could start off the TP Run on Friday late afternoon/early evening Friday 15th November.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Depends on how much you are looking to spend + the level of comfort that you are looking for during this trip.

If you wanted to use your Bali trip as an excuse to earn these TPs, you could do something like this: https://flights.app.goo.gl/bPag8 which nets 315 TPs without your positioning flights to BCN or the flight between BKK and DPS or from CGK to DPS.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by MasterP0
Thank you for your prompt response.
  1. Year ends April 2020
  2. I need to fly to BKK for 3 nights then Bali for 7 nights in Jan.
  3. I could start off the TP Run on Friday late afternoon/early evening Friday 15th November.
Your earning year ends on the 8th March 2020.

Are you sure that Gold will give you all the benefits you really need over and above silver and is worth the extra cost of doing a TP run - especially if you could earn them from BA flights you could take (such as your ones to Bali)
Cymro, Eskimoboy and orbitmic like this.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 10:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
This is an easy case for booking a cheap Qatar fare to Bangkok or Singapore (or open jaw, if the fare rules allow), earning the 560TP that way and flying a local airline down to Bali.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for your feedback.

I think I will follow your advice and maximise my Bali trip to get the necessary points.

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Your earning year ends on the 8th March 2020.

Are you sure that Gold will give you all the benefits you really need over and above silver and is worth the extra cost of doing a TP run - especially if you could earn them from BA flights you could take (such as your ones to Bali)
You make a valid point, and as I tend to fly Business 90% of the time what added value is Gold going to add for me and the answer is not much, but I can use First Lounge even when flying Business? I just thought it would be fun to be gold for once!

Once again thank you.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 5:47 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Honetstly, even if you are flying business a lot, there is value in being gold:

1. The Flounge - I'd value that at £5 per visit over and above the business lounges - so perhaps £60 in a year;
2. The extra avios - I'm assuming you're getting gold with 4 long haul business class trips on BA at an average of 8,000 miles return and 360 TP each, plus some odds and sods. So that's a minimum of 16,000 extra avvios, worth around £160 of extra value.
3. Gold avios availability in V class - makes a huge difference to the value of avios; or, if you're avios rich, double avios space release - got to be worth £100 per year and potentially much more as all my short-haul private travel to theUK is now on avios, which wouldn't be an option if I were silver;
4. Silver soft landing - so if your travel declines you will have a year's worth of lounge access in economy plus free seat selection
5. Gold line, subjectively better chance of upgrades (arguable), and generally better customer service treatment - ironically particularly if not on BA;

I rarely travel Club Europe now that I don't need the tier points so you can either soft land and keep silver, or just spend less on short-haul travel if that's your thing. Of course, the benefits of long-haul business class travel are obvious.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 6:23 am

Programs: Swiss Senator, Flying Blue Gold, BA EC Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I also recently discovered the pleasure of QR for collecting 560TP per long haul trip, just getting me over to Gold some weeks ago. The only downside is you collect significantly less Avios than with BA (no Silver/gold benefit, just 25% J).

Plus you're likely getting Qsuites, which are as close to F (or sometimes even superior compared to some older cabins elsewhere) as J gets.
MasterP0 likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Thanks for that Cymro....I have nothing to lose, so will aim for Gold, JUST BECAUSE!
Old Oct 5, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold!/OWE
Originally Posted by Cymro
Honetstly, even if you are flying business a lot, there is value in being gold:
First wing. Getting through security quickly is huge for me.
The _Banking_Scot and Cymro like this.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: Swiss Senator, Flying Blue Gold, BA EC Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by chance88088
First wing. Getting through security quickly is huge for me.
Out of curiosity, where do you have a security fast lane only for EC Gold that doesn’t allow J passengers as well?
Old Oct 5, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OWS), OZ Diamond (*G), TK Elite (*G), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Chris0815
Out of curiosity, where do you have a security fast lane only for EC Gold that doesn’t allow J passengers as well?
LHR T5 First Wing.
Mozart0815 likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 7:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Go for it and experince the benefits of having it. Then you can decide whether you wish to spend time and money keeping it if you can't retain it through 'normal' travel means.
nancypants and MasterP0 like this.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 11:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
Best benefit I've found is being able to get row 1 in CE & I love getting a full English on my early morning flights out of Heathrow & Gatwick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.