Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are Avios as garbage as they look to be...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
It doesn't apply to those of us in the USA, but Amex cardholders in the UK have a deal where get a 'buy one get one' ticket if they redeem Avios. That increases the value significantly for a large group of cardholders on the site.

I also like to point out, as I moved from Oneworld to Skyteam, that on Avios you'll pay $400 in taxes, but on Delta you'll pay 60,000 miles (or more, it's dynamic) for a business class ticket one-way
Old Oct 1, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Gold, Velocity Gold, Accor Gold
Avios have saved us in a pinch many times. Today I made a last minute CE booking RAK - LHR 19,000 Avios + $40. To purchase said ticket was approx. $470 so I think I got the bargain of a lifetime even if I am not a fan of BA CE.
TTmex likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
It's all in what you're looking for.
For me (US-based) the Chase 2 for 1 vouchers aren't really worth much. I'm driving for tier points to retain status, so redemption flights aren't interesting. But - cash plus Avios flights are pretty good.
We're traveling to the UK in April, two CW seats IAD to LHR. Lots of Avios (which we had in spades) plus cash that's less than 2x standard economy seats. And we get full J tier points. For me, it's worth it.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 8:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ALL Gold
I've saved up enough Avios for a dream trip with my wife. We'll be flying JAL first class from Tokyo to LAX. A return flight costs 206k Avios but the cash cost is 15,000 USD!

At 7 cents an Avio I think it's a pretty good deal.
TTmex likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I commute a couple of times a month between RDU-CHI, and I'm agnostic about ORD/MDW and DL/AA/WN. Avios are my emergency last minute currency. I happen to have a WN flight in about 8 hours, but if for some reason I had to move it back because of a work issue, I can book either the 2:39pm flight today or the 11:30am flight tommorrow for 7500 Avios + $5.60 and cancel the WN flight to reuse the funds for 5-6 weeks from now.

The cheapest walkup is $348 (unless I want to subject myself to Spirit). So when I have to do this, and I've done it about four times this year already, I get about 5 cents per mile, so about 7 cents per MR point that I transfer over at 140% every year when there's a promo.
TTmex likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 2:26 am

Programs: BA Gold
I love Avios! It has allowed me to fly my family First class around the world over the past decade. 8 return flights to Asia (4F, 4J) for Christmas and New Year, 4 F return tickets to LA this Summer, 4F return tickets to Vancouver last summer. Trips to Cape Town, Sydney and New York mostly in F.

The fewer people who like the program the better as it leaves more availability for those of us who really value it.

Yes, the fees are high but being able to fly my family to the other side of the world in comfort for around £2k for 4 pax is more than worth it.
T8191, wilsnunn and TTmex like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.