Wiki Posts
Search

Engineer on board

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2019, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold. Flying Blue, Radisson, Accor
Engineer on board

Discovered something new today that the flights to and from Seychelles have an engineer on board as Seychelles has no 787 capable engineer at the airport. A bit of a throwback to the past but I wonder which other BA flights have the same.
Silver Fox, frasier, mdbe and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 10:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I have only made the inaugural service to SEZ and a later return service, but there was indeed an engineer on both flights. I assumed it was some sort of start-up arrangement.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
does seem strange to send a plane to an airport that can't easily handle possible engineering requiremnts so you have to fly one of your own on every flight.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 10:51 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
That's a great gig for an engineer!

M
Old Sep 22, 2019, 11:02 am

Some of the Caribbean shuttles normally have a flying spanner on board.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 11:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Sometimes airlines send a technician to fix problems with (new) business and first class seats on board. IIRC the technician gets a business class seat, so I would assume that the same if true for the engineer on the SEZ flight.

It seems surprising that BA considers it better to send the engineer on every flight (BTW, are engineers experts in fixing every part of a modern aircraft or do they specialize? Also, what about parts, tools, and other equipment? And can most repairs be completed by only one person?) versus using an aircraft type where there is some local expertise if needed.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
BTW, are engineers experts in fixing every part of a modern aircraft or do they specialize? Also, what about parts, tools, and other equipment? And can most repairs be completed by only one person?
Maybe it is so that they speak 'engineer'. If you had someone not conversant in dealing with engineering problems an airline would probably have to send someone out to diagnose the problem, before sending out the 'correct' engineer to actually fix it.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
I can't speak to BA, but the UA Island Hopper carries a mechanic (and some spare parts) on every flight as they don't have even a 737 capable mechanic at most of the airports they land on. He sits in 7C.
BA6501, YacozA, trooper and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 11:49 am

I spoke the BA engineer on our Seychelles return flight, he was very pleased to have been upgraded to CW from WTP as there was a spare seat once the doors closed. He confirmed there is an engineer on every flight to Sez.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold. Flying Blue, Radisson, Accor
Well they had two on board. My first world problem was that the tray would not return to its position in first class. As it was he couldn’t fix it but did manage to fix a seat problem on the other side. Apparently he was there to fix any problem on the aircraft but principally major technical issues.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Do they stay with the crew for a couple days in SEZ, or oversee the turnaround and come back on the same aircraft?
Old Sep 22, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: BA Silver AA Lifetime Gold
Not BA but SA Airlink send an engineer on all flights to HLE (St Helena).
When I flew there last year there was a truck engineer going out to fix a fuel truck at the airport. He was expecting to stay there a week, even though the truck wouldn't have taken a day to fix, because that was when the next flight out was. As it was the outbound was delayed two days because of weather and he only got five days there.

Spike
trooper likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
I think they also do this on St Kitts / Antigua. From memory, when the BA 777 took the wrong intersection and took off from the wrong place, it was the BA engineer (seated in CW) who realised and ran forward during T/O roll.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 2:20 pm

Engineer accompanied on my February trip to MLE too.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Are plain clothed undercover air marshalls still all that prevalent? I think a lot of the US airlines still have them around but I guess the point is you wouldn’t know.

Makes you wonder who else is on your flight that isn’t there just for the purposes of getting from A to B

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.