Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No seat assignment due to disability?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2019, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat
I should add, we know they have the ability to hook him to the airplane oxygen on the UD because we have done this before. Most recently, two years ago. But we have done it several times and it works very well. The UD is nice because it is more roomy and it is more comfortable for him.

Any of you who are smokers please stop now! Emphysema is a horrible disease. One of the worst aspects is the claustrophobic/anxiety producing feeling one gets in a crowded place.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 8:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by sonora
Yesterday we spoke to an agent who said the pcmu desk would assign his seat, so we emailed them. They emailed back saying that they don't assign seats and we would have to wait for the seating team to get back with us. We were also told this last May.
It may be this is something to do with the T-72 hours point when seating transfers to FLY. But in any event, since it isn't completely clear from your posts, have you tried to new service mentioned upthread by anonba? It may not be obvious but that poster can be assumed to be on the inside of the organisation.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It may be this is something to do with the T-72 hours point when seating transfers to FLY. But in any event, since it isn't completely clear from your posts, have you tried to new service mentioned upthread by anonba? It may not be obvious but that poster can be assumed to be on the inside of the organisation.
Thanks. I did miss that the first time around. I have sent an email.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some airlines require a note from a doctor for someone to use oxygen in flight, which of course should also specify that the person is fit to fly. It sounds like BA doesn't require this, but AA might.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 9:01 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Some airlines require a note from a doctor for someone to use oxygen in flight, which of course should also specify that the person is fit to fly. It sounds like BA doesn't require this, but AA might.
BA does require this. Here is the official policy:

In-flight oxygen

Short haul flights

(including connecting flights to and from long haul segments)

Short haul flights departing on or after 1 February 2018:

British Airways will no longer be able to provide therapeutic oxygen on short-haul flights for flights departing on or after 1 February 2018. This also includes short haul segments connecting to and from long haul flights.

Customers requiring therapeutic oxygen on short haul flights will be required to make their own provisions for all short haul segments of their itinerary. Acceptable therapeutic oxygen provisions are outlined below. Customers need to obtain medical clearance for approval of their own therapeutic oxygen provisions. Medical forms should be despatched to the medical clearance team a minimum of 7 days prior to departure.

Acceptable therapeutic oxygen provisions:

Portable Oxygen Concentrators
  • Customers may bring a FAA approved portable oxygen concentrator (for more information please visit the FAA website https://www.faa.gov).
  • Customers must have sufficient battery provision for 150% of the flight duration (accounting for unexpected delays).
  • Customers need to obtain medical clearance in advance to bring a portable oxygen concentrator. Medical forms should be despatched to the medical clearance team a minimum of 7 days prior to departure.
  • If your reservation is booked through British Airways but is operated by another airline, please check their own criteria for accepting portable oxygen concentrators on-board.
Oxygen Cylinders
  • Customers may bring oxygen cylinders, providing they are manufactured specifically for the purposes of containing and transporting oxygen.
  • Each cylinder and its contents must not exceed 5kgs in weight.
  • Only one customer per flight will be permitted to bring their own oxygen cylinders on board.
  • British Airways Health Services will advise on the volume of oxygen customers should bring during the medical clearance process.
  • Cylinders, valves and regulators, where fitted, must be protected from damage that could result in inadvertent release of the contents.
  • Liquid oxygen and oxygen generators are forbidden on board the aircraft.
  • Customers need to obtain medical clearance in advance to bring their own oxygen cylinders. Medical forms should be despatched to the medical clearance team a minimum of 7 days prior to departure.

Long haul flights

We can only provide in-flight therapeutic oxygen to one person on board so if you need to use oxygen you must book it in advance. It's important to contact the Passenger Medical Clearance Unit to check availability prior to booking your flights. Please note we cannot provide oxygen on the ground at an airport.

On board our Airbus A380 and Boeing 787 aircraft we offer the Avia Technique Pulse dose cylinder: Oxygen is provided ‘on demand’ and your Doctor will need to confirm that you can use this.

There is no charge for in-flight therapeutic oxygen.

If therapeutic oxygen is required, you will need medical clearance to fly. Please allow the medical clearance team 48 hours to process your request. Medical forms should be despatched to the team a minimum of 7 days prior to departure.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 9:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Congratulations @corporate-wage-slave on the above post which is your 40,000th!!

I believe this marks that you are now thereby officially an 'Flyertalk Legend', however, I see that there's not much more space left in your profile username area to add it in!

Nevertheless, rather than clog this thread if I may say on behalf of no doubt thousands/tens of thousands of FTr's thank you for all you have given Flyertalk and more specifically the BA Board, far too much to mention here really.

What a very helpful and pragmatic poster you are and having met you quite a number of times may I say you are one of the most genuine, helpful and nicest person I have had the pleasure to meet.

Keep up the good work, it's very, very much appreciated ^

Pete

Last edited by PETER01; Sep 20, 2019 at 9:09 am Reason: changing text
Old Sep 20, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Then let's hope that the problem isn't lack of medical documentation submitted to BA. It's not clear whether OP's spouse has flown since the requirements you quote were announced in February 2018.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by PETER01
Congratulations @corporate-wage-slave on the above post which is your 40,000th!!

I believe this marks that you are now thereby officially an 'Flyertalk Evangelist', however, I see that there's not much more space left in your profile username area to add it in!

Nevertheless, rather than clog this thread if I may say on behalf of no doubt thousands/tens of thousands of FTr's thank you for all you have given Flyeralk and more specifically the BA Board, far too much to mention here really.

What a very helpful and pragmatic poster you are and having met you quite a number of times may I say you are one of the most genuine, helpful and nicest person I have had the pleasure to meet.

Keep up the good work, it's very, very much appreciated ^
No, he's a Legend. Evangelist is 10,000 posts.
PETER01 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 9:09 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
No, he's a Legend. Evangelist is 10,000 posts.
Oops, that's right, thanks! I'll change my post.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 9:25 am
Original Poster

All:

You are all so helpful!

No worries about the POC requirements-we are very familiar and have fulfilled all the requirements to carry on his POCs. I do appreciate that they were posted here, though, as that may help someone else. I will caution everyone, these requirements can and will change. Since Mr S started flying with oxygen on AA, they have changed several times.

As I said, we carry 2 portable oxygen concentrators on board. These have gotten smaller and lighter since we started using them. You may see commercials for Inogen, which a brand that makes a very small convenient POC that can be carried like a shoulder bag, it has a little case with a strap.
Tobias-UK likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.