Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overhead storage etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2019, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Overhead storage etiquette

I am flying from Heathrow to Miami on Friday. I have never done a flight by myself and my main concern at present is that (in addition to my checked luggage) I am taking a cabin bag that is fairly near the size limit. I would have taken a smaller cabin bag, but I am taking some music recording equipment that I would like to avoid putting in the hold. The size is 55 x 44 x 25, and the packaging states that it is suitable for the cabin on BA flights. It is a bit wider than I need but unfortunately it is the only bag I can find that has the internal height to fit a rackmount unit.

I am really conscious that overhead storage is limited, and if I get on early the bag looks really wide and I will gobble up lot of space in the locker and basically look really selfish. I think I am going to try and find another bag today, but I will happily listen to anyone that wishes to confirm or allay my concerns.

Any guidance gratefully received.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 7:15 am

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I wouldn't worry too much on this score. If the bag is within limits then you're entitled to bring it on board, subject to available space of course. On TATL flights, my experience is that most people do check bags so you don't see the same sort of mad locker shenanigans you can see on short haul flights where most people bring large bags. I'd beastonished if there wasn't plenty of space for cabin bags to MIA.

Get on early, stow your bag and relax.
RooseveltL likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
As long as the bag is within the maximum size you'll be fine. As you'll be on a 747 there is normally plenty of room in the lockers (unless you are travelling on the Upper Deck or in First when it is a little more constrained).
Old Sep 16, 2019, 7:17 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Don’t trust the packaging of the suitcase manufacturer but take the actual measurements (including wheels) and compare those yourself with the BA website. That is the only way to be sure you are within the guidelines.

if you are within the guidelines then you are fine, subject to space being available when you board. In the end overhead space a limited and on a first come first serve basis.

The only etiquette that I would apply is:
1. Store the case only in the same class as you travel (unless otherwise directed by the crew)
2. Store the bag near your seat, above your seat or opposite is fine. I prefer opposite so you can see what happens if a fellow passenger would open the bin during flight. Items do occasionally go missing.

Globalist
Old Sep 16, 2019, 7:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum Terra Firmish, it is good to see you here and I hope we will see plenty more of you.

You will be fine, I wouldn't waste time on looking at alternatives. Shorthaul aircraft do have storage space issues, but even then 99 times out of 100 the space is magically found. On longhaul I can't recall every seeing major issues, these aircraft are right sized for passenger numbers. They even added the White bedding equipment bag to Club World and yet somehow that hasn't caused big problems either, even if some crew find it a nuisance.

Secondly, the problem isn't people with bags inside the limits, it's those with bags outside the limit and several of them. My neigbour from OSL-LHR yesterday got away with 4 bags, 3 were oversized. And yet space was found for everyone. If your second bag is clearly below the maximum (e.g. a handbag/man bag/satchell) and you keep it by your seat then you should be fine.

Finally if it takes apparently a lot of space, try to help people around you by inviting them to (e..g.) put their coats on top of your bags. This sounds friendly, but deep down you will really know that actually this is providing you with an extra layer of wrapping, free of charge, and without having to do anything!

If you are really unsure about this, get the CWS, cheap as chips, invisibility cloaked bag. It folds down to the size of a paperback book, can be slung in the washing machine for a good scrub, weighs under 200g (despite what it says on the website) and costs £18.

Amazon Amazon

(it can go a bit beyond the maximum 53 x 23 x 35cm dimensions in one or two directions, if not full).
musical likes this.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Sep 16, 2019 at 8:25 am
Old Sep 16, 2019, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
That’s tempting, CWS, especially as a ‘reserve’ for when our shopping trips lead to a bit of overload in our suitcases.
gypsyjaney likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
No problems on space on a TATL bird. Just queue up early with your boarding group so you can obtain space directly overhead or slightly ahead of your vision.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If you are really unsure about this, get the CWS, cheap as chips, invisibility cloaked bag. It founds down to the size of a paperback book, can be slung in the washing machine for a good scrub, weighs under 200g (despite what it says on the website) and costs £18.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Skypak-53cm.../dp/B00EHG1C82

(it can go a bit beyond the maximum 53 x 23 x 35cm dimensions in one or two directions, if not full).
I've got one of those - its probably the most useful bag I've bought!

LF
Old Sep 16, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Another endorsement of the CWS bag - it's brilliant.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze; ALL Gold
Sorry. just bought the last one on Amazon...
T8191 likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
+1 on CWS bag. It’s great! Just done an EU-HNL ret and off to Malta Thursday - no one bats an eye lid at it
T
Old Sep 16, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
we do not have the exact CWS bag, but from couple of years me & husband take along a couple of foldable small duffel bags for any "excess" baggage need. It's very, very convenient!
Old Sep 16, 2019, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Geo772
As long as the bag is within the maximum size you'll be fine. As you'll be on a 747 there is normally plenty of room in the lockers (unless you are travelling on the Upper Deck or in First when it is a little more constrained).
On the 747 upper deck, a bag of the maximum size won't fit in the overheads. But there is a locker on the upper deck at the top of the stairs where bags of this size are put, so they actually pose no difficulty.

IME, if you're in First and the bag is a permitted size, a solution will be found.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Travelling Inspector
Sorry. just bought the last one on Amazon...
Amazon told me I was buying the last one too!
T8191 likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: too many
I have the 90L version, it's great for transporting stuff
Decathlon in the UK is doing something similar
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/kipocket...d_8495942.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.