Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interesting potential EU261 case

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2019, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by dougzz
It seems to me you didn’t try to check in individually until the flight had closed. I don’t fancy your chances on this one.
I agree. I think the OP is quibbling and looking for a freebie. In these situations we all have to draw our own lines between looking for a handout and looking for reasonable compensation. I think we all do it as well otherwise we'd just look to the exact letter of the law and make a judgement call. In this case though, I think it's quibbling. OP had no intention of asking for a boarding pass until after close.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Had the checkin agent handed you your boarding pass and said the other person doesn’t have the correct documentation, you’d have been happy?

If this really interests you proceed with the claim, and let us know how it goes.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
OP. Are you British or Irish? If either, I’m not sure why passports were needed
Old Sep 15, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by BTP
No, no theoretical, if I think there is reasonably chances of success I will launch an EU261 claim (and donate any proceeds to charity).

In answer to your question, no I didn't. I only explicitly requested my boarding pass about 20 minutes before departure. However, I would argue that I had no duty to ask them to cancel toddler's ticket, and fly alone; rather, once I had properly presented for check-in, if they wanted not to check me in then they should have sought (and obtained) by express consent for this. It would seem to be that the burden should have been on them.
Doesn't this sort of answer your question -- if you only asked for your boarding pass 20 minutes before departure the check-in time had closed -- isn't check in time 45 minutes for short haul?

Are you suggesting that the check-in people should have asked you to check-in alone and abandon the child at check-in? Perhaps there is no desire to make such a suggestions because the possible ensuing outrage could be "BA cruelly suggests parent abandon toddler at check-in and fly alone" or "BA encourages toddler neglect".
trooper likes this.

Last edited by arttravel; Sep 15, 2019 at 3:30 pm Reason: grammar
Old Sep 15, 2019, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher
Does a toddler’s nursery ID card suffice?
Old Sep 15, 2019, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by BTP

now don't get me started on the de facto demise of the UK/Ireland Common Travel Area...
Brexit? Dublin airport state there will be little or no difference
https://www.dublinairport.com/latest...rt-brexit-faqs

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher
Isn’t it the case you need to prove this somehow? It’s a long time ago, but I can remember checking in for a DUB flight with just a driving license. The OP’s child probably didn’t have one of those though.

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Does a toddler need a passport? Especially for travel to Ireland?

From the AerLingus website on entry requirements: "Citizens of Ireland and Britain under the age of 16 don’t need a photo ID if travelling with their parent/guardian."

https://www.aerlingus.com/travel-inf...-from-britain/
T8191 and BA1 like this.

Last edited by Jagboi; Sep 15, 2019 at 2:24 pm
Old Sep 15, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
It's threads like this that facepalms were invented for.
PAL62V, wrp96 and nk15 like this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Frankly, this sounds like a blatant scam to me.

Show up with kid who has no passport, then after extensive discussion with the airlines, try to to pretend it's just you so that you can get denied boarding compensation? Seriously?
trooper, SteveF, PAL62V and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Or just suck it up and accept you screwed up by bringing the wrong passport. These things happen. Often best not to overthink them.
Kind of agreeing with this... I once pitched up at MAN for a 2 day trip to Sweden, no wallet..... Nothing I could do, Hotel wouldn't accept remote Payment or anything, trip blown!
Old Sep 15, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Honors Gold
Why did your toddler require a passport, when flying within the Common Travel Area? (there is no demise of the CTA btw)
Old Sep 15, 2019, 3:49 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Honors Gold
A scam? I don't see the issue here. If you had a single PNR booking for two people (eg with a friend) and the friend didn't turn up at the airport (but you wanted to fly regardless) - would you foresee an issue in obtaining your boarding pass and proceeding as normal? I wouldn't. There is no issue with this.

As for this particular circumstance, the second passenger being a toddler is immaterial (we privately assume the OP was not going to simply abandon his son) - he could simply have proceeded as he had wished informing the check-in desk accordingly - the check-in staff are not going to start asking questions as to who will take care of the toddler, are they? His wife or family member or another responsible adult may have been in the departure terminal simply waiting to say goodbye. for all the checkin staff know. Whats the issue here?
Old Sep 15, 2019, 4:02 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Issue is that the OP screwed up, and instead of just accepting that decided to have an argument with the desk staff and tried to engineer a spurious IDB claim after the check-in closed on a flight he had no intention of boarding.

If he was serious about taking the flight solo, and there was time to contact his wife to either pick the child up or bring documentation, then he should have done that immediately rather than suggesting he'd spent too much time discussing for that to be possible. As I would have done, and I doubt I'm alone. In fact it would have been my first reaction.

Doubtful a court would see things differently, and they would certainly ask that question, but I guess he's welcome to have a go. It's pretty dumb anyway to explain the situation in enough detail to draw the obvious conclusions in a public forum BA can and do read.
trooper, flygirl68, PAL62V and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Irrespective of the risk of being referred to social services, you did not comply with 6C in BA’s condition of carriage, i.e. It is set out that you must complete the boarding process and be given a boarding card before the check-in deadline, I’d suggest the airline will clearly argue that this was your responsibility to therefore request check-in of just yourself and then accepted the visit from social services if you were to abandon your child.

Lets be frank, you had no intention of doing so.

Arguing in sich circumstances such that they have to give you a warning that they may have to get the police involved would suggest that they may have been, in the opinion of the agents, other breaches in COC and I’d caution that clearly you don’t want a travel ban for such behaviour.

Not passing judgement on what actually happened, as you not I was there so will no doubt have your own view on that, just pointing out the trying to circumvent the system to see if you can get something on a technicality may have a consequence if more within the airline read the ‘extensive notes’.

For what it is worth, objectively, you presented together with your child on the same ticket with incorrect documentation. Airport agents attempted to help you remedy the situation by initially seeking permission for you to travel in any case and then seeking whether you could be accommodated on an alternative flight (given this was clearly your error this is of course at your cost). You were unhappy with the outcome and at some point this relationship failed, which you have been told necessitated you to be warned about your behaviour.

Last edited by navylad; Sep 15, 2019 at 4:49 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.