Search

BA or AA PE from JFK to LHR

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2019, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
BA or AA PE from JFK to LHR

Hi all,

Flying to JFK soon in biz and on the way back early evening flight either BA or AA PE both 777. I've done BA PE a few times now and its ok. Haven't tried AA PE but apparently the seat is much nicer.

Now, I'm a BA silver, OWS and a massive draw for the AA option is the flagship lounge in T8 JFK. I've done the flagships in both LAX and ORD and they are a great place to relax and eat before a flight especially if you want to maximise rest.

However i know that BA have opened their new lounge in T7 though im still not sure the food selection will be anywhere near as good as AA's Flagship especially since we WON'T have pre flight dining being in WTP.

My concern is that if i choose BA option i also get the club checkin area as a Silver and fast track. I know that OWS does NOT get flagship checkin with AA so potentially i have a prolonged checkin and then JFK horrendous standard security lines to deal with if i go AA PE.
Does anyone know what the pre flight process is for a BA silver out of JFK on an AA operated (BA purchased) flight?

What's the best option based on pre flight experience?
Old Sep 15, 2019, 7:07 am

Programs: BA Silver; VS Gold; HHonors Diamond; Amex Centurion; IHG Platinum; Club Accor Platinum; TfL Oyster.
Can you get into AA's Flagship Lounge as BA Silver on PE? I thought you only got the Admirals Club.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 7:35 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tooblue
Can you get into AA's Flagship Lounge as BA Silver on PE? I thought you only got the Admirals Club.
Ever since they refurbished and changed the lounges Flagship is available to any OWS. If on a domestic flight then an AA OWS can't go in whereas any OWS from another oneworld airlines (including BA silver) can go in.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
The AA PE seat is not in the slightest nicer than the WTP seat. You do get a nice pillow on AA, but that's about it.
If you want to eat before the flight in the lounge then I'd go with AA as you won't get any real food in the Galleries.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: AA: Life time PLT; HH Diamond
AA is much to be preferred
Old Sep 15, 2019, 10:27 am
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
I would go for AA for reasons mentioned above and also AA fly from LHR T3, where you’ll have much nicer J lounges than BA galleries club lounges in LHR t5
Old Sep 15, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
For the eastbound AA is a good choice. Security at BA’s “Fast Track” was a frustrating joke on Thursday night with the line down the corridor past the toilets. The regular line would have been quicker but there is no way to tell that till you are close. If you have pre Check Terminal 8 is a breeze but it can be grim in the regular lines.

AA Flagship Lounge is very good but busy. BA First Lounge has all the style of an MFI showroom but at least they had the champagne out and not the $5 Prosecco. Food provision is appalling with BA if you don’t have the Pre flight dining. I assume the business side is similar but it might be preferable because it’s bigger.

For PE they are much of a much muchness. AA seats are guaranteed to be new so you don’t take a risk of getting the un-refurbished BA ones. AA serve drinks in plastic cups and you get the usual benefits or senior AA crew (cranky, rude, everything is a bother) whereas with BA you get more variation with the possibility of something good or worse.

for pre-check and the flagship lounge I’d definitely take AA/T8
Old Sep 15, 2019, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by rather_be_on_a_griffin
For the eastbound AA is a good choice. Security at BA’s “Fast Track” was a frustrating joke on Thursday night with the line down the corridor past the toilets. The regular line would have been quicker but there is no way to tell that till you are close. If you have pre Check Terminal 8 is a breeze but it can be grim in the regular lines.

AA Flagship Lounge is very good but busy. BA First Lounge has all the style of an MFI showroom but at least they had the champagne out and not the $5 Prosecco. Food provision is appalling with BA if you don’t have the Pre flight dining. I assume the business side is similar but it might be preferable because it’s bigger.

For PE they are much of a much muchness. AA seats are guaranteed to be new so you don’t take a risk of getting the un-refurbished BA ones. AA serve drinks in plastic cups and you get the usual benefits or senior AA crew (cranky, rude, everything is a bother) whereas with BA you get more variation with the possibility of something good or worse.

for pre-check and the flagship lounge I’d definitely take AA/T8

Is fast track at T8 not extended to Silver/OWS of only travelling PE?
Old Sep 15, 2019, 3:48 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SuitedandBooted
Is fast track at T8 not extended to Silver/OWS of only travelling PE?
Fast track is extended to OWS, Flagship check in is not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.