Community
Wiki Posts
Search

British Airways 747-400 routes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2019, 2:33 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
I think one of the most interesting aspects is the number of routes which could once sustain 747 service have been cut entirely. The whole of Australia & NZ save SYD, MNL, CCS etc. I know there’s varying reasons such as political unrest, codeshares & joint business partnerships etc but disappointing to see so many dots off the own metal route map

In a completely different era when fares were many times higher, frequencies were lower, there were fewer airlines, and the whole industry was less competitive. These days it's about who can run the most ruthlessly efficient hub operation
Old Sep 5, 2019, 2:33 am

If only the 747-8i had been selected to join the fleet and carry on the 747 tradition!
Old Sep 5, 2019, 3:08 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
DEN O (Flew it Saturday night)

While successful and all that, the IFE in Club is appalling, on a level it's like travelling back to the 90s. Is it as much as a 10" screen? Basically unskippable movies. Like watching a movie with cataracts.

Only thing worse was VS's old rolling 10 channel IFE, but that at least was a sociable arrangement, because as each movie ended, people went to the bar and a little social occasional started until the films reset, then people rushed back for the next movie. The VS's dated IFE on the A346 (non touchscreen) was actually MUCH better than this crap IFE on the 747.

People make so much of the Upper Deck on the 747, but its pretty much time travel IFE wise.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
I think one of the most interesting aspects is the number of routes which could once sustain 747 service have been cut entirely. The whole of Australia & NZ save SYD, MNL, CCS etc. I know there’s varying reasons such as political unrest, codeshares & joint business partnerships etc but disappointing to see so many dots off the own metal route map
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
In a completely different era when fares were many times higher, frequencies were lower, there were fewer airlines, and the whole industry was less competitive. These days it's about who can run the most ruthlessly efficient hub operation
And so I suspect that the number one reason - surpassing all those listed by andymcdonnell - is sixth freedom (without capital letters). Some of us may remember when it was still a controversial practice of dubious legality, and when airlines which did it resorted to all sorts of tricks to disguise it / pay lip service to the rules.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by Smid
DEN O (Flew it Saturday night)

While successful and all that, the IFE in Club is appalling, on a level it's like travelling back to the 90s. Is it as much as a 10" screen? Basically unskippable movies. Like watching a movie with cataracts.
I would agree that the IFE on the older version has to be one of the worst IFE of any airline flying at the moment. However, the updated 86J planes have really good IFE and the update really gave a significant upgrade to the old 747s.
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 5:08 am

Programs: BA
PHL still operates 747s; at least according to MMB for my upcoming flights.

I was under the impression all 747s had been refreshed in CW with current IFE??

I’ve just completed a return LGW to MCO; the outbound was a non-refreshed 777, with noticeably poor IFE. The inbound was a refreshed 777 with pretty stunning IFE.

Should I still be loading my iPad for my upcoming 747 return ?
Old Sep 5, 2019, 5:49 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by malkie
Nope. While I flew over to LAS in F, that seemed the same sort of F screen (pretty decent) as the ones I've seen before on 747s. Someone else can confirm the club is the same.

DEN is definitely the bad IFE 747.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
MIA - O

(Flying MIA-LHR Saturday night in 62A, first time on the upper deck.)
Old Sep 5, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by lucas.zhu
Beijing / O
Nairobi / C
Beijing is 789 (winter) or 77W (summer)
Nairobi is 772 (winter) or 744 (summer)

Originally Posted by jah718
However, the updated 86J planes have really good IFE and the update really gave a significant upgrade to the old 747s.
All 86J 747s have been updated. Some 52J have been refitted with new IFE, some just have new seat covers. The IFE will be the same in all cabins (so all old or or new).

Should I still be loading my iPad for my upcoming 747 return ?
PHL should be an updated 86J, so you should be ok. Always worth having a back up though, as the IFE can fail even on factory fresh aircraft.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: BA
Thank you. Just checked and indeed it’s an 86J both ways.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Is SEA-LHR losing the 747? usually the evening flight out of SEA and the afternoon flight out of LHR is operated by a 747 but for my December flight (and onwards) all flights are operated by 777s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.