Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

2019 BA Documentary - Access All Areas Channel 5

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2019, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Didn't notice anything posted about this..

New show starts 5th Sept at 9pm.

from the media centre: https://mediacentre.britishairways.com/pressrelease/details/86/2019-319/11487

Summary per FT rules. Please merge if already mentioned.
  • First episode airs on Channel 5 on 5th September 2019 at 2100 GMT
  • Documentary team from Title Role Productions in Manchester spent nine months filming with the airline at locations around the world
  • Footage captured includes preparations for a visit from Her Majesty The Queen to celebrate the airlines landmark birthday
The first episode of four-part series British Airways 24/7: Access All Areas airs on 5th September on Channel 5 (UK) at 2100 GMT, treating viewers to a unique insight into one of Britains most iconic brands.

Filmed over a nine-month period, with narration from award-winning actor James Nesbitt, the series goes behind-the-scenes, giving viewers a unique insight into how the airline is investing an unprecedented 6.5 billion for customers.

Alex Cruz, British Airways Chairman and CEO, said: Its fantastic that Channel 5 has been able to capture key moments in British Airways one hundredth year.

The series opens the doors of our aircraft, engineering hangars and even boardroom, like never before, giving viewers a rare insight into the drive for transformation that informs everything we do, the investments were making for our customers and, most importantly, shines a light on the people who work day and night to keep our hugely complex global operation running, to bring Britain to the world and the world to Britain.

Over the next four weeks viewers will follow the airlines people as they purchase new aircraft, open new routes, overhaul premium service, try out new meals, maintain aircraft and much more.

Filmed at locations including Osaka, New York and Toulouse, the first episode sees Gavin Shearer, British Airways Aircraft Delivery Manager, at Boeings headquarters in Seattle as he prepares to purchase the airlines thirtieth fuel-efficient Boeing 787 Dreamliner. British Airways is taking delivery of 73 new aircraft as part of its five-year investment plan. The episode sees Gavin and his team working against the clock with the aircraft manufacturer to finalise the deal and fly the new aircraft to Heathrow in time to operate its first flight to Toronto.

Buying a new car is stressful enough said Gavin. Buying a new aircraft is a bit like that, but a lot more expensive and a lot more complicated. It really is an enormous privilege to be in charge of delivering these incredible, modern planes for British Airways, but Im just one small part of a huge team responsible for making sure the aircraft is ready to enter service for our customers in just a few days.

Existing aircraft are also being given a makeover as part of the airlines major investment programme. At British Airways engineering base in Cardiff viewers see one of the airlines long-haul Boeing 777 aircraft stripped down and completely refurbished as never seen before, with new cabins fitted, complete with new seating, lighting and entertainment systems.

Filming also captured the British Airways team as it prepared for a visit from Her Majesty The Queen at the airlines headquarters to celebrate its hundredth year of flying. As part of the visit, Her Majesty toured the airlines museum and reminisced with volunteer Jim Davies, who joined the national carrier as a booking agent almost 36 years ago. We have never had such an important visitor at our headquarters and I dont think Ive ever seen such excitement said Jim. Thousands of my colleagues came out to welcome Her Majesty and it was the honour of my lifetime to show her the special memorabilia wed kept from her flights, like tickets, photographs and a royal book that she always signs when she flies with us.

Meanwhile, viewers see British Airways food chiefs travel to Vienna to work with chefs from luxury hospitality company Do&Co on the airlines multi-million pounds investment to develop dozens of new menus.

British Airways chef Mark Tazzioli masterminded the huge project. Airline food is anything but plain. People think its just chicken or fish, but that view is so outdated. We create menus for every different region we fly to, to cater for every palette and diet, and thats in addition to the fifteen special meals we also offer our customers. Weve just created a new superfood salad for our First cabin plus fresh, handmade ravioli and a special chicken stir fry for our World Traveller Plus customers which taste just as youd expect from a top restaurant.

And the documentary team was on hand at Heathrow to capture the arrival of the airlines first A350 aircraft, which burn up to 25 per cent less fuel and are fitted with its new business class cabin and latest generation business class seat, Club Suite - described as a gamechanger for aviation.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Looking forward to this but a couple of days before the strike if not called off will down as well as their 100th celebrations and staff open day.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Have seen a couple of trailers for this in recent days, including a scene with a jovial AC presiding over an internal management meeting of some sort.

Should be worth a watch ^

I have a hunch that the title has been abridged to ‘Access All Areas’ ..... from ‘Access All Areas - except all those areas we would never want to show you’

PS wonder will the the nice lady who meticulously checks for scratch marks in First make another appearance ?
Jimmie76, mhy, mikeyfly and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
People think it’s just chicken or fish, but that view is so outdated.
Indeed, it’s Chicken or Beef! Has he never flown BA?

Annoyingly I shall be in the USA for the first 2 episodes, but will follow the comments here in the interim
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It will be the same boring rubbish they always churn out.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
It will be the same boring rubbish they always churn out.
Now come on ..... you really mustnt be so cynical CIHY !

After all, the official Press Release is building us up for lots of excitement : not least the fact that the programme will feature the (quote) new business class cabin and latest generation business class seat, Club Suite - described as a gamechanger for aviation *

* I suppose gamechanger for aviation is an interesting description ...... although some might say much-needed, long-overdue, catch-up exercise by BA is another.
lhrpete and ermis177 like this.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Sorry, same sh*t different day.
Me cynical?
flygirl68 and HighwayToHEL like this.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load
PS wonder will the the nice lady who meticulously checks for scratch marks in First make another appearance ?
Enhanced away most likely
Old Aug 31, 2019, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by mikeyfly

Enhanced away most likely
Unlike some of the ageing aircraft and scruffy cabins ....
Old Aug 31, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: QR Gold :: AA ExPlat
Originally Posted by subject2load

Now come on ..... you really mustnt be so cynical CIHY !

After all, the official Press Release is building us up for lots of excitement : not least the fact that the programme will feature the (quote) new business class cabin and latest generation business class seat, Club Suite - described as a gamechanger for aviation *

* I suppose gamechanger for aviation is an interesting description ...... although some might say much-needed, long-overdue, catch-up exercise by BA is another.
Its not even a "catch-up exercise" because they are still way behind the ME3 and other market leaders - but I guess we should be greatful!
Old Aug 31, 2019, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by speedbird273
Its not even a "catch-up exercise" because they are still way behind the ME3 and other market leaders - but I guess we should be greatful!
Without having tried the new Club Suite, I'd say ahead of Emirates. On par with Etihad Business Studio, behind Qsuites.

Emirates is still not offering aisle access from all seats on the new 77W seats. And the staggered seats on the A380 are not exactly cutting edge any longer.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Without having tried the new Club Suite, I'd say ahead of Emirates. On par with Etihad Business Studio, behind Qsuites.

Emirates is still not offering aisle access from all seats on the new 77W seats. And the staggered seats on the A380 are not exactly cutting edge any longer.
(my bold)

A very good point.

I think (along with many others) that Emirates made a very poor - and very surprising - decision not to move to all-aisle access at the last update to their 777’s. I avoid J class on those EK aircraft for that very reason, so will either book their A380 ; and if I cannot avoid a 777 on a particular EK route, I will either a) cough up for their F or b) simply choose another carrier.

That said, to what extent can it be realistic, in practical terms, to claim that BA’s new Club Suite - welcome though it undoubtedly is - already puts it “ahead of Emirates “ .......

BA can currently offer all-aisle access for every J passenger on less than 1% of its l/h fleet .... and maybe rising to around 3 or 4% by early 2020. The current comparative figure for EK is around ten times that, at approx 44%. That’s quite some gap - and one which won’t be closed for many years, if indeed it ever is.
lhrpete likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
True, the new Club Suite is very limited by number of airframes, and will be so for a while to come. I was only comparing the actual seat, not the availability.
subject2load likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 2:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum
I think the current club world is already ahead of EK's business class on their 777s. I flew it once from SIN-MEL and the next day upgraded my return to First. Never again. We all have our own preferences, of course.

Looking forward to the new TV series. I won't be as sceptical as others so far. I will just appreciate it for what it is.
Padmeister likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 2:57 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Sorry, same sh*t different day.
Me cynical?
How about Access All Area as shown by CIHY
Now that might make an interesting watch

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.