Wiki Posts
Search

Getting seats together as Gold

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2019, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Getting seats together as Gold

I have booked LHR - ORD (not that the trip details are relevant!) in Prem Economy. It is a 747-400 and so the cabin is 2-4-2. The thing is that all the pairs of seats on each side have at least one seat occupied. I really don't like being in the middle. I wondered if there was a way to get a pair of seats at the side as I am Gold? I am pretty sure I can't as they have booked a seat and so I can't think of any good reason why they would bump someone just because a Gold wants two seats together but I thought I'd ask the question just in case there is a way
Old Aug 31, 2019, 5:38 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
The aisles are not that wide - try two aisle seats "next " to each other? SWMBO and I would prefer one of the 2s but are content with 2 aisle seats. Then try again at check in.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 5:42 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
I cant remember the exact configuration but there is likely to be bassinet rows at the front. Put yourself and your companion in the two front aisle seats and then phone to get yourself put in the bassinet seat next to your companion at about t-30. As gold you can normally get access to the front row of PE as long as you don't try and put yourself in the bassinet seat itself.

It's not guaranteed but normally it works
Jed likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
The aisles are not that wide - try two aisle seats "next " to each other? SWMBO and I would prefer one of the 2s but are content with 2 aisle seats. Then try again at check in.
That is the fallback. We have done this many times but that was before I got Gold. I feel it is a bit of a cheeky question really as it smacks a little of me thinking I have some kind of right which clearly I don't have and nor do I think I have... but I am still very much learning how to get the most from my Gold status so that is the reason behind the question... not one of entitlement or expectation
Old Aug 31, 2019, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by firstlight
I cant remember the exact configuration but there is likely to be bassinet rows at the front. Put yourself and your companion in the two front aisle seats and then phone to get yourself put in the bassinet seat next to your companion at about t-30. As gold you can normally get access to the front row of PE as long as you don't try and put yourself in the bassinet seat itself.

It's not guaranteed but normally it works
Thanks... yes, I did see that we couldn't take the bassinet seat in the front row and wondered if they become available at some point.

When you say T-30 is that 30hrs?
Old Aug 31, 2019, 5:55 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
Thanks... yes, I did see that we couldn't take the bassinet seat in the front row and wondered if they become available at some point.

When you say T-30 is that 30hrs?
yes, close enough to the date that all potential infant passengers have been seated but before the seat map comes under airport control
Old Aug 31, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Also check the seat map periodically. There will likely be some movement as other people's travel plans change.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by gcuk
Also check the seat map periodically. There will likely be some movement as other people's travel plans change.
Or use one of the services that will alert you if a seat comes free.
alexwuk likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
All the people in those seats either have status - quite possibly some of them higher than GCH - are travelling in very expensive full fare W, or have paid a fairly high fee for their seat assignments. There really is no reason why ba should bump anyone to give their preferred seat to you or anyone of us, and frankly, it would seem rather outrageous to me if they did unless the flight is overbooked and they happen to want to bump them into J.

I’d book two seats together (or across the aisle) and keep an eye on things and as others have said, fingers crossed, the bassinet seats will become available.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Or use one of the services that will alert you if a seat comes free.
I have an Expert Flyer subscription so I will set up an alert... thanks.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 1:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic
All the people in those seats either have status - quite possibly some of them higher than GCH - are travelling in very expensive full fare W, or have paid a fairly high fee for their seat assignments. There really is no reason why ba should bump anyone to give their preferred seat to you or anyone of us, and frankly, it would seem rather outrageous to me if they did unless the flight is overbooked and they happen to want to bump them into J.

I’d book two seats together (or across the aisle) and keep an eye on things and as others have said, fingers crossed, the bassinet seats will become available.
I totally agree... as I said in my OP there is no reason to bump... but my question has highlighted at least one technique I could try to get the bassinet seat in the front of the cabin so it was definitely worth asking the question
orbitmic likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 3:20 am

I am in a similar situation as the OP and don't want to be a DYKWIA in any way. Travelling on a separate booking to the wife (she is silver, I am gold, although I don't think that matters) and we would like a pair of seats not in the middle or across the aisle from each other. There are free window seats and free aisle seats at the window pairings, but not 2 together. It wouldn't be an issue for someone to move a row forward or back once on the plane (providing I am not asking someone in the front row to move back) but I feel it shouldn't be an issue for BA to proactively move someone beforehand to avoid asking once on the plane. I understand why this happens, I do it myself, if I want a window seat and there is a choice of one with an occupied aisle seat next to it, and one without, I always choose the one without as it increases the chances of having two seats to yourself. I have the front row aisle booked currently, and my mrs has a window a couple rows back booked. If I can't get her moved into the window next to me (Bassinet seat) before takeoff, I will ask the person in the aisle sat next to her to swap seats with me, but I would prefer if BA were able to do this for me before the flight.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 3:49 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
BA won't shuffle people around before travel, people have their own motivations to liking certain seats (such as window alignment, or for aisle seats because their companion is across the aisle) and they aren't going to upset other passengers just because you don't like sitting in the middle block, where presumably there are pairs of seats. To some extent the bassinet gives you the solution, so long as someone with a child doesn't need it first. If you are on one ticket, you best move yourself to the seat next to the bassinet rather than your wife - as you appear to have done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.