Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'Reasonable expenses'

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2019, 10:26 am
Original Poster

'Reasonable expenses'

Far from jumping on the bandwagon, I luckily managed to get a revised flight back to London from Miami +2 days after my cancelled flight on 9/9. The BA call handler pointed me to BA's compensation webpage and said I may be able to claim for support with the 2 nights' additional accommodation, plus reasonable expenses. I've worked out we are not going to be due any EU payment since 14+ days' notice of the strike was given.

Does anyone know what the actual limit of 'reasonable' means? Also, would it be just easier to put the whole thing on travel insurance?

Not experienced this before so any help appreciated. I'm sure others are in the same boat. Thanks
Old Aug 24, 2019, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
The BA mindset is c. £200/night for accommodation and ‘reasonable’ meals. So lay off the Lobster!!

The reality of accommodation will vary by location, of course, and a ‘reasonable’ preson would think you should be able to stay where you are ... but that would be price-dependent, of course. If you’re willing to share what you’re paying (roughly) a bit more advice might follow.

I’m sure I don’t need to say “Keep all receipts” ... but I did anyway!

As to Travel Insurance, IME they’re very mean and good at dodging issues. I do suggest re-reading your policy, and possibly phoning your insurer. We got £30 each for a 24-h delayed departure from LGW to a £500+/night Caribbean AI.

Good luck.
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 11:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Travel insurance is a very broad term. The key is to carefully read the policy document word-for-word. You will not collect anything which is not covered expressly. Do not rely on anything you are told over the phone. Front-line phone people are rarely trained and are no better at interpreting what is covered than you are.

For the benefit of others, the time to have read your policy is before purchase.

As to "reasonable," the question to you is, what would you do if there were no duty of care and no insurance? Would you still stay at that particular property or spend that much on a meal?
Old Aug 24, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
Re meals, BA paid for food (even at central Zurich prices) without batting an eyelid, but would not pay for alcohol (having sent them a receipt with both on). Which I think is reasonable.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 4:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When there's a cancellation or delay due to a strike, EC261 mandates duty of care (hotel, meals, etc.) but not the delayed flight compensation regardless of when the strike and cancellation/delay are announced.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold
We had planned to use parking at Gatwick. Due to the rerouting as a result of the strike, we are departing Gatwick and arriving Heathrow. We will take the train to Gatwick the night before and a local cab collect from Heathrow. We will obviously show receipts for both, but how will BA calculate the excess we have paid out, over and above what it would have been?
Old Aug 24, 2019, 4:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bluemoon68
We had planned to use parking at Gatwick. Due to the rerouting as a result of the strike, we are departing Gatwick and arriving Heathrow. We will take the train to Gatwick the night before and a local cab collect from Heathrow. We will obviously show receipts for both, but how will BA calculate the excess we have paid out, over and above what it would have been?
When you request reimbursement, you should make the calculation and explain your reasoning.
bluemoon68 likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by abligh
Re meals, BA paid for food (even at central Zurich prices) without batting an eyelid, but would not pay for alcohol (having sent them a receipt with both on). Which I think is reasonable.
Reasonable?!?! That's INHUMAN!

Old Aug 24, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Originally Posted by abligh

To Whom It May Concern,

I was driven to drink by your bloody shenanigans so pay for the bloody wine already
Old Aug 24, 2019, 9:51 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by T8191
The BA mindset is c. £200/night for accommodation and ‘reasonable’ meals. So lay off the Lobster!!

The reality of accommodation will vary by location, of course, and a ‘reasonable’ preson would think you should be able to stay where you are ... but that would be price-dependent, of course. If you’re willing to share what you’re paying (roughly) a bit more advice might follow.

I’m sure I don’t need to say “Keep all receipts” ... but I did anyway!

As to Travel Insurance, IME they’re very mean and good at dodging issues. I do suggest re-reading your policy, and possibly phoning your insurer. We got £30 each for a 24-h delayed departure from LGW to a £500+/night Caribbean AI.

Good luck.
I just booked the T5 Sofitel for £278. They better not give me a hard time. I have to leave very early now because of their strike to get me where I need to be rather than my leisurely noon-ish departure the day before. I need every minute of sleep I can get so no morning buses for me. I would have done the Hilton Paddington but that was over £400 so they are getting off easy with the Sofitel.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 10:03 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I would provide evidence of other hotels being more expensive.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 10:11 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
I would provide evidence of other hotels being more expensive.
I took some screenshots. Obviously Bath Rd hotels are cheaper, at least for now. I will wait until it gets closer and they will probably fill up.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 10:11 pm

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Finkface
I just booked the T5 Sofitel for £278. They better not give me a hard time. I have to leave very early now because of their strike to get me where I need to be rather than my leisurely noon-ish departure the day before. I need every minute of sleep I can get so no morning buses for me. I would have done the Hilton Paddington but that was over £400 so they are getting off easy with the Sofitel.
Care to elaborate? Expecting BA to pay almost £300 for some more sleep isn't going to fly if I'm understanding your message correctly.

Also what date? I can't see the Sofitel for more than £200 around the strike dates.
nancypants and TWCLAM like this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 10:27 pm

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
9th has sofitel for £207, £222 ( after removing my discounts) WITH breakfast. Heavens knows who you are using for booking but they obviously over charge to the 9th degree
BingBongBoy and nancypants like this.

Last edited by TWCLAM; Aug 24, 2019 at 10:28 pm Reason: posted original before finished
Old Aug 25, 2019, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by teledude
Care to elaborate? Expecting BA to pay almost £300 for some more sleep isn't going to fly if I'm understanding your message correctly.

Also what date? I can't see the Sofitel for more than £200 around the strike dates.
Sept 10. I booked directly through Accor. And i actually got a discount because I am a member. It was originally more. For all you doubters, here is proof.

Photo 1 is a search I did just now. Photo 2 is my booking, which is a queen room and no longer available. A king is even more expensive.

And yes, I do expect them to pay it. I need to be in AMS early on Sept 11. I booked a mid day flight on Sept 10 and because of BA, I now have to get up at 3:30 or 4am on Sept 11 to make it. The Sofitel allows me to sleep a bit longer. A non refundable room was slightly less, like £20 but I booked semi-flex because if this strike does not happen, I will go back to my Sept 10 flight which I purposely booked as a cushion to be sure to get there.

So yes, I expect them to pay. Why the judgement?
Attached Images   
IAMORGAN likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.