Wiki Posts
Search

Luggage hold for 12 hour layover?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines 100K MVP, Oneworld Emerald, Marriott Titanium
Luggage hold for 12 hour layover?

We have a 12 hour layover (9pm - 9am) @ LHR. We will stay at the T5 hotel. Does BA hold our luggage? Is the hotel inside the security area?
Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi.

On one ticket yes it can be held or you can ask for it.

The t5 sofitel is landside outside of security but connected to t5
Regards

Tbs
​​​​
Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by lattegirl13
We have a 12 hour layover (9pm - 9am) @ LHR. We will stay at the T5 hotel. Does BA hold our luggage? Is the hotel inside the security area?
Provided it's a connection, i.e. on the same PNR, BA will hold the luggage for you. Personally, I'm a bit sceptic to leaving stuff overnight in any airport. The not completely good news might be that bags are lighter to carry

There is no airside hotel at T5, but Sofitel is connected to the terminal, so a short walk. Other nearby hotels require a bus/tube/cab ride.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
We have a 12 hour layover (9pm - 9am) @ LHR. We will stay at the T5 hotel. Does BA hold our luggage?

If you want them to then yes. I have never had any problems when I have done this. If you want your bags returned to you at LHR then ask for this at checkin/bag drop. This assumes you are on one ticket.
the hotel inside the security area?
The answer is no, but depending which hotel you are in will determine how far you need to go. All but 1 of the T5 hotels are off airport and best accessed hy bus. Which hotel have you booked?
Old Aug 22, 2019, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines 100K MVP, Oneworld Emerald, Marriott Titanium
Thanks much. We will be at the Sofitel. The connection is on one ticket. If we pick up our luggage, then we re-check in bags?
Old Aug 22, 2019, 2:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thanks much. We will be at the Sofitel. The connection is on one ticket. If we pick up our luggage, then we re-check in bags?
Yes, you would need to allow an extra 10 minutes to recheck the bags, and the Sofitel is less than 10 minutes from the check-in area. The hotel is landside, in a building connected to T5 via a lift and a set of corridors. So think about leaving the hotel 70-80 minutes before departure if you are fully mobile. Personally I would through check, the T5 warehouse is going to be more secure than your hotel room, if that is what you are worried about, but it is sometimes useful to have all your items with you at transit hotel stays.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:40 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
For a 12 hour layover I would leave my main bag through checked to save time and hassle.
Just requires you to pack small volume toiletries and any change of clothes in your hand luggage

If you see where it will be stored you will understand cws security point above
BBC - Future - The hidden world that moves your luggage

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.