Search

GUF, avios and tier points awarded?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2019, 6:18 pm
amt
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
GUF, avios and tier points awarded?

Are Gold upgrade vouchers on paid bookings now giving avios and tier points as the booked class and not the upgraded?

I notice the outbound of a GUF1 booking on the 23/7 awarded F avios and tier points and the return on 19/8 only awarded J.

When did that happen, Is it a policy change or an error? I guess I expected them to close that loophole eventually, but it is worth maybe 2-300 tier points a year each between partner and I, that I have no desire to make up elsewhere (travel far too much for nonsense like tier point runs) and drop us from a 2 CCR household to a one and then a zero, another reason to fuel our general dissatisfaction with BA.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
This error/loophole of long standing has been fixed. See these threads:
Tier Points Incorrectly Posted?
Changes to Avios / TP credit for Gold Upgrades via travel agents
GUF and TA Revenue Class Booking
orbitmic and amt like this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by amt
Are Gold upgrade vouchers on paid bookings now giving avios and tier points as the booked class and not the upgraded?

I notice the outbound of a GUF1 booking on the 23/7 awarded F avios and tier points and the return on 19/8 only awarded J.

When did that happen, Is it a policy change or an error? I guess I expected them to close that loophole eventually, but it is worth maybe 2-300 tier points a year each between partner and I, that I have no desire to make up elsewhere (travel far too much for nonsense like tier point runs) and drop us from a 2 CCR household to a one and then a zero, another reason to fuel our general dissatisfaction with BA.
I am struggling to understand why one would publicise a bank error seemingly in your favour.

Doc Copper
Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:12 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by amt

This type of post always makes me chuckle. I don’t understand why BA enforcing its own rules would increase your dissatisfaction with the company. It has always been the case that Avios and tier points should be awarded for the cabin booked, rather than travelled, as is written in the terms and conditions of Gold Upgrade voucher usage. All BA has done is to fix a loophole that was allowing people to earn points they shouldn’t have. If you can’t achieve status / perks now without travelling enough to get them, perhaps you should re-evaluate your expectations.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:22 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
This type of post always makes me chuckle. I don’t understand why BA enforcing its own rules would increase your dissatisfaction with the company.
I feel the same. I am very satisfied if I have received a number of bank errors in my favour in the past relating to GUFs...............................which I am not saying I have
ubiest, alex67500, M17SST and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:23 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by KARFA
I feel the same. I am very satisfied if I have received a number of bank errors in my favour in the past relating to GUFs...............................which I am not saying I have
You, sir, are a wise man
TheRealBabushka likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:43 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Quite. To complain that one is no longer benefitting from something that was widely known as an error but that one has benefitted from in the past seems somewhat churlish to me.
Filthy Monkey likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
So you're annoyed that the additional GUFs you've received, by gaining too many TPs in error - will now result in less GUFs which will earn you less TPs, which you weren't entitled to ?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 2:16 am
amt
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey

This type of post always makes me chuckle. I don’t understand why BA enforcing its own rules would increase your dissatisfaction with the company. It has always been the case that Avios and tier points should be awarded for the cabin booked, rather than travelled, as is written in the terms and conditions of Gold Upgrade voucher usage. All BA has done is to fix a loophole that was allowing people to earn points they shouldn’t have. If you can’t achieve status / perks now without travelling enough to get them, perhaps you should re-evaluate your expectations.
My expectations were that BA would bother to load my luggage twice on to the plane I was travelling on with F class tickets last week.
My expectations were that the first time they failed to do this it would show up in Switzerland at the time they indicated, not 4 hours after that in the middle of the dinner reservations I should have been at.
Politeness prevented me from telling the person checking into CW next to me at JFK should not stand for being told the entertainment in his seat was broken and then offered the chance to upgrade to a half empty First cabin for $650.
My expectations were not that 4 out of the last 7 BA flights should be delayed by 2 hours.
My expectations were not to travel through GVA-LHR-JFK-LGA-IAH-SFO-PDX-SFO-PDX-SFO-EWR-JFK-LHR-ZUR for 6 days without luggage.
My expectations were not that I would spend 1.5 hours on two occasions typing every line item from $400 of receipts only to have the system fail, not submit the claim and give up.

Trust me...I have adjusted my expectations down as low as they can go

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Aug 23, 2019 at 8:05 am Reason: Compliance with rule 12
Old Aug 23, 2019, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by amt
What has any of your list got to do with being dissatisfied that you will in future no longer be given something that you have quietly trousered for years but you always knew you were never entitled to?
jerry a. laska and etiene like this.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Aug 23, 2019 at 8:11 am Reason: Rule 12 compliance
Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Starbucks Gold,
Originally Posted by amt

My expectations were that BA would bother to load my luggage twice on to the plane I was travelling on with F class tickets last week.
My expectations were that the first time they failed to do this it would show up in Switzerland at the time they indicated, not 4 hours after that in the middle of the dinner reservations I should have been at.
Politeness prevented me from telling the person checking into CW next to me at JFK should not stand for being told the entertainment in his seat was broken and then offered the chance to upgrade to a half empty First cabin for $650.
My expectations were not that 4 out of the last 7 BA flights should be delayed by 2 hours.
My expectations were not to travel through GVA-LHR-JFK-LGA-IAH-SFO-PDX-SFO-PDX-SFO-EWR-JFK-LHR-ZUR for 6 days without luggage.
My expectations were not that I would spend 1.5 hours on two occasions typing every line item from $400 of receipts only to have the system fail, not submit the claim and give up.

None of your list of expectations (whilst I agree that most of them would be annoying) have anything to do with your point about the GUF. You were given three threads by jerry a.laska in the first reply you received within 90mins of posting your query... it would have take less than that time for your to actually look for the answer on the forum yourself. Read the threads which contain the answers to your question, accept that you will not be getting what was a nice bonus in your earnings that you were never entitled to in the first place and decide for yourself if you want to keep flying BA to renew your CCR card or not.
LondonAndy, etiene and cgtechuk like this.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Aug 23, 2019 at 9:41 am Reason: Rule 12 compliance
Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
Agree with the sentiment on here - classic post.

Expect to travel in the cabin you paid for and points and miles awarded on that basis
Old Aug 23, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by amt

Jeez, if I was in the top tier of a frequent flier club and this list of things happened to me I wouldn't be worried about a GUF and TPs, I'd be looking for a status match with another alliance

(I also agree with the posts above that this list of things has nothing to do with your GUF/TP issue which had been answered in the second post).

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Aug 23, 2019 at 8:12 am Reason: Quote edit for rule 12 compliance
Old Aug 23, 2019, 7:38 am

Theoretically, fixing of this error will certainly make earning 7,000, 8,000 and 9,000 TP much harder. Consequently one may find oneself with fewer GUF vouchers to use, though it may be a moot point for some once the new Club Suites are rolled out across the entire long-haul fleet. Indeed, one could argue the only real benefit of an upgrade to First would be the privacy afforded by the seat. With the Club Suite offering superior accommodation, any benefit of flying First is marginal (food and drink), or can be independently replicated (PJs, Elemis toiletries).

Consequently, for some the fixing of this error could not come at a better time.

It then follows, given how under certain circumstances the GUF is now redundant, one may choose to diversify and seek status with Star Alliance or SkyTeam, once one reaches 5,000 TP, and one has attained Lifetime GGL (or wishes not to hit lifetime GGL, if the high water mark is CCR, which does not have the potential for lifetime tenure - the benefits of GGL would already naturally follow anyone who targets 5,000 TP annually). In particular, given recent improvements to the GUF voucher, which makes the space release/jokers somewhat redundant, there is now only a marginal benefit for hitting 6,000 TP.

The analysis, of course works on the assumption that BA is not going to materially downgrade the level of service and attention in the CW cabin post suite rollout so as to demonstrate the benefits of flying First. It would be counterintuitive, given the level of competition in the market and the relatively consistent quality of accommodation across long-haul fleet by key competitors.

Further, given the reduction/correction of non-price related benefits (e.g. fixing of GUF error, redundancy of space release/jokers), price of tickets will need to remain competitive to halt losses to Star Alliance/SkyTeam.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: BA, Accor, Hilton, ITA
Do “I” upgrades with GUF still earn TPs , or is it just Avios that don’t?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.