Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade & Downgrade Advice

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Upgrade & Downgrade Advice

Looking for some advice please.

I was due to fly from O Hare to LHR on the sunday morning flight, the 0915 departure (aa90 I think?).

This flight was delayed due to lightning, then ultimately cancelled because of the LHR noise curfew that would be in effect by the time time the flight would arrive.

On my outbound segment, LHR-ORD, I was given a free upgrade from PE to CW. I received tier points at the CW rate, 140 (instead of 90 for PE).
This flight was the day before my birthday, so maybe that helped!

Anyway, on the flight back, I was rebooked onto aa46. And downgraded from PE to regular economy (not even MCE, right to the bottom!).
I was given full Y tier points, 70. PE would've been 90.

Given that I was awarded all those bonus points and a better seat on the outbound, is it worth my while to chase those extra 20 points for the return segment?
Would there be any risk of them taking my 140 points from the outbound segment back to 90?

Or should I just be happy with the upgrade and he net 30 point bonus?

Thanks
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:28 am

Did you get the 75% of the sector downgrade money. I would be more concerned over that than the tier points given the incorrect tier point posting for the outbound sector.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you were originally ticketed in PE for a BA operated flight on the return, EC261 downgrade compensation at 75% of the fare for the segment should apply. Depending on schedules, you might also be entitled to delay compensation of up to 600 Euro for the rebooking onto AA, although it might be a fight to get delay compensation for the lightening strike on the outbound.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:31 am
Original Poster

I've not been given any cash refund, if that's what you're asking?
I assumed that because I was in the US, they would not give me anything as it was a weather related cancellation.
Is that not correct?
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:34 am

You may struggle for the lightning delay but you are separately due a part refund for the downgrade.
Cymro likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:37 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
There are two issues here. I would definitely recommend you pursue the downgrade compensation due under EC261.

i would be tempted not to pursue an ORC claim for your return leg lest they also adjust your outbound bonus TPs - you are up significantly overall in terms of avios & TPs so best to leave it.
Cymro, MSPeconomist and orbitmic like this.

Last edited by KARFA; Aug 21, 2019 at 8:49 am
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

As I understand it and if I'm reading the OP correctly and he was originally on an AA flight, in this case the AA90 morning flight to London so from the USA, wouldn't this be ineligible for EC/261 for the return as it's not an EU airline?
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by PETER01
As I understand it and if I'm reading the OP correctly and he was originally on an AA flight, in this case the AA90 morning flight to London so from the USA, wouldn't this be ineligible for EC/261 for the return as it's not an EU airline?
I assume the OP was originally on a BA ORD-LHR flight? If so I think BA are still liable as they did the downgrade even though the OP ended up on a non-eligible flight.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
There are two issues here. I would definitely recommend you pursue the downgrade compensation due under EC261.

i would be tempted not to pursue an ORC claim
for your return leg lest they also adjust your outbound bonus TPs - you are up significantly overall in terms of avios & TPs so best to leave it.
EDIT: Seems PETER01 had the same thought - I'll leave those two to sort it out as it is already 11pm here in Beijing 😁

Agree with KARFA that it is probably best not to pursue the TPs given your windfall on the outbound flight.

If I follow though it looks like you were on a BA ticketed trip flying BA outbound and AA for the return. In that case I think you may be out of luck regarding EC261 - though maybe worth asking for a BA calculated refund.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:52 am

I assume the OP was originally on a BA ORD-LHR flight? If so I think BA are still liable as they did the downgrade even though the OP ended up on a non-eligible flight.
That's not what he's stated in the opening post saying he was due to fly (originally?) on the AA90 morning flight, it got cancelled then rebooked on the AA46 where he/she was downgraded. Perhaps more clarification is needed?
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Missed the AA flight number - out of scope for EU261 but a fare difference refund is due for the downgrade.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by PETER01
That's not what he's stated in the opening post saying he was due to fly (originally?) on the AA90morning flight, it got cancelled then rebooked on the AA46 where he/she was downgraded. Perhaps more clarification is needed?
Sorry, yes you are right - I was confused with the post tbh. Yes if the OP was originally on an AA ORD-LHR flight then EC261 wouldn't apply. GinFizz's suggestion of a calculated refund may be the only option to get something.
PETER01 and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 9:02 am

Sorry, yes you are right - I was confused with the post tbh. Yes if the OP was originally on an AA ORD-LHR flight then EC261 wouldn't apply. GinFizz's suggestion of a calculated refund may be the only option to get something.
I was a little confused myself!

@FT01 - Was the AA90 morning flight your original flight?

I'd leave the TP's in your favour as they are to be honest.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Sorry, I'll clarify the flights - all booked through BA,
BA metal on way out
AA metal on return leg (both the original, and backup flights).
PETER01 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by FT01
AA metal on return leg (both the original, and backup flights).
Thanks. Ah well sorry no EC261 for the downgrade then since a non-EU carrier flying in to the EU isn't covered.

Requesting a calculated refund from premium economy to economy seems the best option to get something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.