Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rug as checked luggage

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2019, 5:52 am

Programs: BA Gold
Funny thread, as I have an antique 3x2 meter rug folded and put into a bag to be sent to MIA tomorrow. The bag is 31kg. Phew

Feel bad for the baggage handlers though
Old Aug 18, 2019, 6:43 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze; ALL Gold
Some years ago I bought a similar-sized rug in Islamabad and a got a cheap Chinese suitcase which took it neatly, folded up. Brought back as my second checked bag (in the days BA were doing that route). The only problem was when the two suitcases pulled me over backwards on the long escalator up from the Piccadilly Line at King's Cross and I caused a bit of a domino effect on those below me...* helpful young people rushed to assist me and no bones were broken. The Chinese suitcase lasted just long enough to get it home - and it's now resplendent on my dining room floor.
*Just like serial reclining in Economy!
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
As others have noted, folding is the way to go.

I've taken roller blinds (as carry on), window sills (yes :-) ) and other odd things without issue. Next weeks challenge will be a radar - yes, a radar. Currently making up some bespoke boxes for it, maximising by 3x32 Kg allowance! I suspect security and customs might be more challenging than the BA baggage people!
Old Aug 18, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
I have seen washing machines checked in at Gatwick on the Accra flights. I think they took the bricks out to lighten the load to keep it under 32kg but obviously had to go via OOG.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 4:21 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
I believe the 190cm max length is related to the size of the luggage containers. Extra-long objects need to be sent as cargo.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Use2Bfflyer
In the past I have taken roller blinds and a garden umbrella in a ski bag (at different times I might add!). I guess they were within the 190cm limit but it could have been an old ski bag from the days when skis were over 2m.... and no-one even asked why I was taking ‘skis’ to PHX. But doubt you have a ski bag lying around in BOD to give that a try.
There are several ski resorts in Arizona so not unusal.

Originally Posted by Travelling Inspector
The Chinese suitcase lasted just long enough to get it home - and it's now resplendent on my dining room floor.
Most of us would have put the rug on the floor but whatever floats your boat!
S_W_S and wilsnunn like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.