Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

purposely miss a connection without getting the entire ticket cancelled?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

purposely miss a connection without getting the entire ticket cancelled?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2019, 6:15 am
Original Poster

miss a connection without getting the entire ticket cancelled?

Hi All,

I'm trying to reduce the price of IAD-LHR in F and I can reduce it by ~1.4K if I add another connection on one of the legs.
I'm looking to add a leg that I'm more likely to miss (pray for a delay) and then ask BA to simply remove that leg.. what do you think about this, can it work in theory? is there a specific connection you'd choose which is riskier? is there a significance to check in baggage or not?

Here's what I'm currently booked into:
Outbound: IAD-LHR-GVA
Inbound: LHR-IAD

IAD-LHR with scheduled arrival of 6:55am 1 h 25 m layover London LHR then LHR-GVA .

Last edited by justsawaufo; Aug 16, 2019 at 9:14 am
Old Aug 16, 2019, 6:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
So I think I understand you will include the LHR-GVA leg since it reduces the price, purposely miss connect so you don't get the LHR-GVA flight, and then ask BA to remove it and reissue the ticket with just the LHR-IAD on it?

That won't work. They will rebook you on the next available LHR-GVA flight. If you try and get them to remove the LHR-GVA completely it they will reprice the ticket.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by justsawaufo
IAD-LHR with scheduled arrival of 6:55am 1 h 25 m layover London LHR then LHR-GVA .
And you have very little chance of missing this connection for good reason. It's nearly half an hour more than the MCT.

In your shoes, I would not be assuming that BA isn't aware of all of the tricks that people play to pay a lower fare than they should be paying for the journey that they wish to take.
argonath and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by Globaliser
And you have very little chance of missing this connection for good reason. It's nearly half an hour more than the MCT.

In your shoes, I would not be assuming that BA isn't aware of all of the tricks that people play to pay a lower fare than they should be paying for the journey that they wish to take.
Naaaaah. Only drivers and CC lurk on these threads. They'd never think of having revenue mgmt peeps take a look
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 6:33 am
Original Poster

I currently hold a seperate ticket to fly back from GVA to LHR so I do plan on making it to GVA but hope to get "stuck" in LHR.
I'll try to work it out with BA if I will miss the LHR-GVA leg due to previous delay.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 7:28 am

missing LHR-GVA with no discussion with BA will cancel your LHR-IAD
Anonba and george77300 like this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 7:35 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by justsawaufo
....I'll try to work it out with BA if I will miss the LHR-GVA leg due to previous delay.
If this is meant to say ".previous day" then that is going to be 100% risk of failure. BA will auto cancel all remaining sectors on the ticket as noted by shadowline (i.e. the LHR-IAD) and they will not reinstate it when you contact them on the next day. You will not have a ticket to return to IAD.

Your only chance to preserve the ticket in the case of a (deliberate) miss-connect is to speak to the BA agents at T5 on the day - and I have already noted above what will happen.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 7:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
And if one other passenger from your flight makes the connection it will be rather difficult to explain. Particularly if they lay on the Jag transfer on for you, given that you are in First.

If it's big bucks, just do a B2B back to LHR like we all have to do. There can be nice views on the approach to Switzerland.
AdBoy, Lefly, nancypants and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There can be nice views on the approach to Switzerland.
And the nice views are the one thing in Switzerland that you don't need to take out a second mortgage for...
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Guys just to clarify, maybe I wasn't clear enough, I wasn't talking about skipping the flight (if it's doable to make the connection). I was talking about the likelyhood to miss the connection due to delay of the first leg and then work it out with the BA agents at LHR. Now I'm just looking at flights that have better "potential" to misconnect
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
I think the OP is asking what happens *if* they genuinely miss the LHR-GVA because IAD-LHR is delayed, can they plead with BA that the trip to GVA is in vain and still protect the return? They have the (separate) return ticket booked to 'prove' they are in good faith....
DeathSlam, DoB840 and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet
I think the OP is asking what happens *if* they genuinely miss the LHR-GVA because it's delayed, can they plead that the trip to GVA is in vain? They have the (separate) return ticket booked to 'prove' they are in good faith....
In which case, the word in the thread title "purposely" seems an odd choice.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This might work (agent discretion) if the segment you miss is such that you can obviously get to the destination more quickly by land, such as PHL-NYC, EWR-IAD, LHR-BHX, etc., but you would need to deal with it (stand in line?) at the airport on the day of travel where HUCA isn't a possibility if you don't like the answer. For LHR-GVA, it's not credible that you could take the train (or swim) more quickly (but if it's the last flight of the day, is there an overnight train?), so the reasonable excuse would need to be a budget carrier flight leaving soon on an airline with which BA dosn't interline, but in this case the LHR-LGW (or other airport in the region) transfer would not be a way to save time.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: QF WP
Assuming you’re happy enough to take the second leg of an IAD-LHR-wherever, am I to understand it that you would prefer a longer layover in London? If so would this be greater or lesser than 24 hours?

for my own interest, if you end up misconnecting and end up being in London for >24 hours, that triggers APD, right? So presumably BA has to cover that as the cost of rebooking you?

therefore a destination with only daily (or less) service is presumably the answer?
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet
I think the OP is asking what happens *if* they genuinely miss the LHR-GVA because IAD-LHR is delayed, can they plead with BA that the trip to GVA is in vain and still protect the return? They have the (separate) return ticket booked to 'prove' they are in good faith....
In which case, the word in the thread title "purposely" seems an odd choice.
It is equally odd that the OP should now be trying to find a flight that they are even more likely to miss.

Most people who genuinely intend to travel to the place they're booked do not try to miss the flight there and do try to travel there on a later flight even if they do misconnect in good faith.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.