Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why all the hate for BA ?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Jagboi
A random comment from the Air Canada forum this morning, but gives perspective that BA isn't universally loved:

" AC is the worst flag carrier, except for all the other ones. Well OK, there's a few good ones (mostly Asian), but against the European majors (LH, AF, BA) I think AC stacks up decently. BA is probably the most miserly airline on the planet in both Y and J. "
To be fair, my flag carrier is SAA, which isn't doing terribly well. But they have free food and drinks in domestic Y, so...
Old Aug 25, 2019, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I suppose the latest notch on the BA Beating Stick would be the inept email accidentally saying “Your flight is cancelled” (due to the strikes) when it wasn’t, leading to call-centre melt-down and innumerable passengers being stressed, inconvenienced and/or out of pocket.

For a supposedly First World airline, BA does seem to persist in the most inept communications and administration.
lhrpete, endoman, rapidex and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
I suppose the latest notch on the BA Beating Stick would be the inept email .................

For a supposedly First World airline, BA does seem to persist in the most inept communications and administration.
And for an airline (ahem) ‘celebrating’ 100 years in business, you cannot help but wonder just how much more self-inflicted damage they are willing to risk to their once-proud brand heritage.

The inept email to which you refer is being reported as the source of considerable anger & frustration for many recipients - along with the seemingly near-impossible (for some) task of getting to speak to a member of staff.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49464345
lhrpete, T8191 and masmadrid like this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Between this e-mail, the general strike issue and refusal to concede even a little while BALPA has been pretty restrained and patient, recurring IT meltdowns, frequent AOG incidents, especially with the aging 747 fleet, it does seem a lot like BA is self-harming more than any external factors causing issues
Old Aug 25, 2019, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Between this e-mail, the general strike issue and refusal to concede even a little while BALPA has been pretty restrained and patient, recurring IT meltdowns, frequent AOG incidents, especially with the aging 747 fleet, it does seem a lot like BA is self-harming more than any external factors causing issues
... not to mention the massive Data Breach, with a Ł183m fine of the cards!
Old Aug 25, 2019, 11:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
What amazes me is with the continuous shambles occurring with the airline, that Alex Cruz is still in charge!!!

Why/how is this possible? What are we not seeing?
lhrpete likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by icegirl
What are we not seeing?

The P&L?
T8191 likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LCY8737

The P&L?
Sad but true, in theory. Remember BA exists for the shareholders, not the passengers. And its not a social service either.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Because the airline is currently very, very profitable and the various issues havent put a dent in that.

I don't think there is much else to be said, really.

​​​​
choosethedrew and T8191 like this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by icegirl
What amazes me is with the continuous shambles occurring with the airline, that Alex Cruz is still in charge!!!

Why/how is this possible? What are we not seeing?
He isn't. The email firing him was canceled in error.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by subject2load

And for an airline (ahem) ‘celebrating’ 100 years in business, you cannot help but wonder just how much more self-inflicted damage they are willing to risk to their once-proud brand heritage.
I know you have strong feelings about BA, and what the airline does wrong. But may I ask you whether you think there will be a moment when you’ll question yourself as to whether your own believes are way off and whether what you think the airline should be is not what others think? The ‘self-inflicted damage’ argument does not seem to catch on, does it? I’ve been on this forum for 15 years now, and every year something happens that upsets posters here and seems to be ‘it’ for BA (in terms that it will fold soon because of the direction that it is going). But none of the predictions ever materializes. Whatever decisions BA chose to take - and the majority here seems to hate - the general traveling public seems to have shrugged off and moved on. So many people want to see the evidence of people not wanting anything but getting to where they need to be, but is not the fact that people are unconcerned with the direction BA is going evidence in itself? When you say ‘self inflicted damage,’ do you think of people here or people who are still paying BA to travel with the airline? Is there really ‘hate’ towards BA? Or is it something that caught on here? I mentioned how Lufthansa has not been catering its flights for the past few months and how it seems to be a non issue over at the Miles & More forum, but every little thing seems to be a huge deal here. Double standards? Denial? Or prejudice? There must be an explanation why, for example, Lufthansa is doing everything right, even though it is trying to divest of its catering unit or it is not paying its pilots well so they strike, but BA is the evil in its flesh?
Old Aug 25, 2019, 2:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Bohinjska Bistrica
Because the airline is currently very, very profitable and the various issues havent put a dent in that.

I don't think there is much else to be said, really.

​​​​
Indeed.
I could be wrong but I also suspect the majority of the restructuring had been planned and started well before Alex Cruz arrived.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 2:52 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
There is a large German forum where the Lufthansa catering (and other issues) is lively discussed. The LH Flyertalk board is not a very active place compare to the German forum, whose activity is comparable to this very board.
SirToby likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by fransknorge
There is a large German forum where the Lufthansa catering (and other issues) is lively discussed. The LH Flyertalk board is not a very active place compare to the German forum, whose activity is comparable to this very board.
Which helps me with my point that BA seems to be universally hated here because of the traffic that the BA threads attract. And when people here point out to Lufthansa as this perfect airline, there are not that many posters to say ‘Well, look, there is this large German forum where Lufthansa is being trashed as much as BA is being trashed here.’
Old Aug 25, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Andriyko

I know you have strong feelings about BA, and what the airline does wrong. But may I ask you whether you think there will be a moment when you’ll question yourself as to whether your own believes are way off and whether what you think the airline should be is not what others think? The ‘self-inflicted damage’ argument does not seem to catch on, does it? I’ve been on this forum for 15 years now, and every year something happens that upsets posters here and seems to be ‘it’ for BA (in terms that it will fold soon because of the direction that it is going). But none of the predictions ever materializes. Whatever decisions BA chose to take - and the majority here seems to hate - the general traveling public seems to have shrugged off and moved on. So many people want to see the evidence of people not wanting anything but getting to where they need to be, but is not the fact that people are unconcerned with the direction BA is going evidence in itself? When you say ‘self inflicted damage,’ do you think of people here or people who are still paying BA to travel with the airline? Is there really ‘hate’ towards BA? Or is it something that caught on here? I mentioned how Lufthansa has not been catering its flights for the past few months and how it seems to be a non issue over at the Miles & More forum, but every little thing seems to be a huge deal here. Double standards? Denial? Or prejudice? There must be an explanation why, for example, Lufthansa is doing everything right, even though it is trying to divest of its catering unit or it is not paying its pilots well so they strike, but BA is the evil in its flesh?
I believe that BA falls short in multiple areas, but they are the kind of areas that only people on this board tend to notice. People want to get from A to B with minimum fuss... BA isn’t terrible at doing that for the most part. And if you do notice the areas where they fall short compared to competitors... tough luck because they are a monopoly.

lhrpete likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.