Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consequences of discarding return segment?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2019, 4:35 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Hilton Diamond, OWS
Originally Posted by Bullswood
As above, if you need flexibility, a one way redemption is often worth considering. As a OW Emerald assume you might have a few? Qantas redemptions are pretty expensive, so might even be worth investigating purchase of AA Miles if on special offer, though the plummeting A$/US$ exchange rate has reduced the attraction of that strategy.
The pound sterling is currently weak as well and BA have a 45 % bonus on purchase of Avios (or is it only for UK members?). That might make sense in this case.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 5:37 am

Nothing will happen, as you are "allowed" to miss your flight or? There has been court cases in Europe, airline lost in each case. If you are a frequent mileage partner with just that airline, the only risk is that they may cancel your miles if they think you have deliberately booked a round-trip but never intended to use it.
It's an old fashioned tariff situation of Legacy Airlines but will sooner or later disappear. I see already many Legacy Airline adopting to new one way fare structures making this a thing of the past. But still there are some big US and European carriers trying to stick to such ludicrous pricing rules
Old Aug 9, 2019, 5:56 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Be careful what you wish for. These "ludicrous pricing rules" allow carriers to compete on particular routes without screwing their margins elsewhere, and as a beneficial side effect create lower fares for those of us prepared to start from a remote airport.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Rudi Seiberlich
Nothing will happen, as you are "allowed" to miss your flight or? There has been court cases in Europe, airline lost in each case. If you are a frequent mileage partner with just that airline, the only risk is that they may cancel your miles if they think you have deliberately booked a round-trip but never intended to use it.
It's an old fashioned tariff situation of Legacy Airlines but will sooner or later disappear. I see already many Legacy Airline adopting to new one way fare structures making this a thing of the past. But still there are some big US and European carriers trying to stick to such ludicrous pricing rules
Welcome to FT Rudi Seiberlich!

I think the only case I am aware of is the LH one, discussed in this thread Interesting Court Decision In Germany - Passenger does not need to fly last leg

From the comments of NickB (who tends to understand this stuff well) in post 20 the ruling doesn't seem to be that you are or are not allowed to miss the last leg per se - you have always been able to miss it and an airline can't forcible put you on the flight at the end of the day. Instead the issue for LH seemed to be that it was not clear to the passenger when he booked what the cost would be if he did miss it so there was no transparency in terms of what the re-pricing would be. As you say though, to some extend it is fairly academic as there aren't too many known cases of airlines trying to re-price anyway.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Rudi Seiberlich
Nothing will happen, as you are "allowed" to miss your flight or?
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA board Rudi Seiberlich, it's good to see you here. I hope we will see more of you.

The cases in Germany, Italy and more recently Spain have superficially similar (but actually different) back stories to the scenario here. There are a heap of different practices in the mix, such as Hidden City pricing, and Nesting tickets. However this is different - when BA sells you a return ticket, they know full well a chunk of passengers will not make the return. In fact in Big Data terms they will know you will miss the return flight before you do! There are no consequences, but as mentioned it does make sense to book a return which just may be useful, or failing that on a service which is likely to be radically changed by the time of departure, since that may give other options.

Note that Iberia do sell single tickets at more reasonable rates, however some of them they don't credit very well since they are affectively Level codeshares. You will get the Avios (via IB+) but the frequent flyer status credit can't transfer. Ditto Aer Lingus.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Aug 9, 2019 at 6:21 am
Old Aug 9, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher
Edit: have a look at also making the return an AA flight far out (6+ months). A schedule change might result in an error in your favour...
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac

That is a stroke of brilliance.
But I assume that only works if AA change the flight time. In my experience flights on the JFK-LHR route tend to be pretty static. I don’t remember the last time the schedule or flight numbers changed in several
years. So wouldn’t you need to work in a domestic leg like LGA-ORD-LHR instead to be more likely that they’ll change the schedule?

The other issue is that by using AA and not BA on the way back you miss out on potential EC261 compensation if BA is delayed (an AA-operated flight wouldn’t be eligible since it starts outside the EU).
Old Aug 9, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by salut0
The other issue is that by using AA and not BA on the way back you miss out on potential EC261 compensation if BA is delayed (an AA-operated flight wouldn’t be eligible since it starts outside the EU).
In the scheme of things the number of flights that qualify for EU261 is pretty small. And a long delay due to weather isn't going to get you any compo even on BA.

So make flight decisions based on things like price, schedule and seat.

TBH I'm not going to put myself into an awful CW seat with all the downsides of that just on the possibility of some EU261 if a flight is delayed when I can sit in and sleep in a better AA seat.

As to consequences, there was an article on OMAAT in the past week that said UA had issued a memo to staff asking them to report incidents of hidden city ticketing so the egregious passengers who do this a lot can be identified and warned by head office. They aren't wanting gate staff to challenge passengers though. So it is on the radar of airlines.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
In the scheme of things the number of flights that qualify for EU261 is pretty small. And a long delay due to weather isn't going to get you any compo even on BA.

So make flight decisions based on things like price, schedule and seat.

TBH I'm not going to put myself into an awful CW seat with all the downsides of that just on the possibility of some EU261 if a flight is delayed when I can sit in and sleep in a better AA seat.
But the vast majority of passengers travel in Economy where there is no significant difference in terms of price, schedule and seat. In those circumstances and having endured a 48 hour 2 overnight delay on AA myself a couple of years ago, I now always opt for BA on Eastbound flights.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 9:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
But the vast majority of passengers travel in Economy where there is no significant difference in terms of price, schedule and seat. In those circumstances and having endured a 48 hour 2 overnight delay on AA myself a couple of years ago, I now always opt for BA on Eastbound flights.
Actually there is a difference in economy for both hard and soft product: BA’s economy seats are (for now) 3-3-3 in the 777s from LHR whereas AA’s are the much less comfortable 3-4-3. And BA’s food and entertainment are better than AA.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF,VA Plat
Thanks for all the info. Can someone explain a bit more why having the return segment (NYC-LON) on AA is an advantage in the event of rescheduling? I'm not quite sure what I would do here? I would not have any need to use that segment, I'm not going back to Europe anytime soon, and definitely not from the USA. Even if somehow I could use it, the change fee would be astronomical compared to the value anwyay, assuming I buy a discount economy fare.

Also, for the segment I do want to fly, if I buy the lowest possible basic economy fare, can I still select seats as OWE or do I need the regular one? It looks like they are the same fare class which is a bit confusing.

Also someone asked about visas, thanks, I am a US Permanent Resident so this won't be a problem.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 11:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by salut0

Actually there is a difference in economy for both hard and soft product: BA’s economy seats are (for now) 3-3-3 in the 777s from LHR whereas AA’s are the much less comfortable 3-4-3. And BA’s food and entertainment are better than AA.
The majority of Economy passengers don't take note of such fine distinctions (and probably aren't even aware of them) and by no means all of those that do would agree with your analysis which is of course completely valid as far as your individual preference are concerned. Schedule and, above all, price are by far the primary factors for Economy cabin travellers.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by jpp42
Thanks for all the info. Can someone explain a bit more why having the return segment (NYC-LON) on AA is an advantage in the event of rescheduling? I'm not quite sure what I would do here? I would not have any need to use that segment, I'm not going back to Europe anytime soon, and definitely not from the USA. Even if somehow I could use it, the change fee would be astronomical compared to the value anwyay, assuming I buy a discount economy fare.

My reading of what is being suggested is that AA are more likely to make schedule change(s) to your return flight after you have completed the outbound which might trigger the opportunity to cancel and claim a partial refund. However, I agree with a previous poster that the likelihood of that happening on the LHR-JFK route with so many alternative options available is fairly remote.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 12:48 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If there is a flight cancellation they must refund the ticket. Ditto a retiming greater than 5 hours. On that route it's a long shot, but AA is perhaps more likely than BA generally. But BA do also cancel services, usually one of the early afternoon services. Overall AA is generally a good one for cancelling - or reissuing flight numbers with slightly different times - but on that particular route they tend to be more cautious.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If there is a flight cancellation they must refund the ticket. Ditto a retiming greater than 5 hours. On that route it's a long shot, but AA is perhaps more likely than BA generally. But BA do also cancel services, usually one of the early afternoon services. Overall AA is generally a good one for cancelling - or reissuing flight numbers with slightly different times - but on that particular route they tend to be more cautious.
Very interesting strategy.

But how would they price that refund, given that the RT is *less* than the one-way?

<joke alert> Make the passenger pay the difference because they airline changed and "made it impossible/of no use" (as though they were billing if they "caught" someone doing this without any schedule change...just a no-show on the return, IF they bothered to do that)?
Quite a nice "refund"

GC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.