Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consequences of discarding return segment?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF,VA Plat
Consequences of discarding return segment?

Hi folks,

I need to fly one way from London to New York (no preference on airports at either end) and am considering BA. I am a Oneworld Emerald member through Qantas. I have very little experience flying in Europe or with European airlines and conditions, but am a frequent flyer in Australia and around the Asia/Pacific region.

In searching for a way to to get from LON to NYC in mid-December, I've found that one-way fares are astronomical on all OneWorld carriers, but I can book a return fare for less than half a one-way (which is ludicrous really). I'm also considering Norwegian (premium economy) but am skeptical about making a forward booking for them, four months in advance... regular economy on a reliable OneWorld airline would be my preference.

What is the consequence if I book a return trip on BA from LON-NYC-LON, choosing the cheapest possible return date, and then simply discarding that segment? I feel there should be none, but I'm wondering if they can hit me for some kind of cancellation fee.

A second question is, does OWE membership offer any seat assignment benefits?

Thanks!
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:50 pm

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
I believe the consequences would be that you miss out on your Qantas points/miles for missing your return flight.
OWE should allow you to choose your preferred seats.
I don't believe it is a major issue as an irregular occurrence.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:01 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
No consequence if you don't make it a regular occurrence. Your return will be cancelled, but you don't care about that.

Also look at Westjet, which flies from LGW to LGA, with a connection in Toronto. Right now a mid December one way ticket is showing $481 CDN, which is about $535 Australian. TAP also does one ways, with a connection in Lisbon. Slightly cheaper, but takes longer.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 1:36 am

You can get return economy BA flights LON-NYC for circa £300 so much cheaper than a One Way. The flip side is these will have no flexibility whereas an expensive One Way will be at least changeable for a fee & probably refundable. As a OWE you will have access to First Wing & Lounge so a perfectly acceptable experience for a 6-7hr day flight.
george77300 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 1:55 am

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Use Google Flights to quickly search. You’ll need a Saturday night stay in NYC for it to work (unless you’re travelling when the clocks change then you can just about get away with it (MIA too!))

You also might want to book the return for a year out. You never know... you might find a use for it!

Edit: have a look at also making the return an AA flight far out (6+ months). A schedule change might result in an error in your favour...
Old Aug 9, 2019, 2:11 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher
Use Google Flights to quickly search. You’ll need a Saturday night stay in NYC for it to work (unless you’re travelling when the clocks change then you can just about get away with it (MIA too!))

You also might want to book the return for a year out. You never know... you might find a use for it!

Edit: have a look at also making the return an AA flight far out (6+ months). A schedule change might result in an error in your favour...

That is a stroke of brilliance.
Cymro, ubiest, EDIwanderer and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 2:30 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
While I agree with all of the above, this is also the kind of situation that reward points were made for.
Geordie405 and golfmad like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 2:44 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver
As others say dropping the return in this situation is not going to be an issue Some thoughts on options though:

1. Look for the cheapest return but perhaps, depending on the flexibility of what you book, maybe book it as far in advance as possible in case circumstances allow you to use it by changing dates in the future.
2. Take a punt on a booking for a period that could end up with a weather related issue where you might be able to get a refund if the flight is cancelled. Maybe something December or January. It's a complete long shot but I bet the odds are better than the lottery and you're going to lose the return anyway so no harm.

Possibly some other ways or "using" the return too but I can't think of them.More knowledgeable peeps will likely let you know.
djbenedict and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 2:54 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
You'll probably find it cheaper if you make the return leg an open jaw from Boston.

For example

https://www.google.com/flights?hl=en...;sd:1;t:f;tt:m

Saves about £20. As discussed, leave the return as long as you can, you might find a use for it or get a cancellation if on American.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 3:01 am

How are refunds handled when the return leg is rescheduled or cancelled after the outbound is taken?
Old Aug 9, 2019, 3:02 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Oh, just a thought too, you might need evidence of a return ticket within a certain time frame for immigration. Not sure how that works in the US though.
AlanA likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 3:03 am

Programs: BA Silver
Can't be any consequences surely as BA would just treat you as a no show? Happens all the time
Funky Spike likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 3:04 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
How are refunds handled when the return leg is rescheduled or cancelled after the outbound is taken?
General rule is partial refund for the non-flown segments (distance and fare class based). Depending on the exact circumstances could be more (e.g. EU261 might apply).
Old Aug 9, 2019, 3:10 am

Programs: BA Silver AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Brisbane Road
Can't be any consequences surely as BA would just treat you as a no show? Happens all the time
Yep, people miss flights all the time for all sorts of reasons.

Spike
Old Aug 9, 2019, 3:14 am

As above, if you need flexibility, a one way redemption is often worth considering. As a OW Emerald assume you might have a few? Qantas redemptions are pretty expensive, so might even be worth investigating purchase of AA Miles if on special offer, though the plummeting A$/US$ exchange rate has reduced the attraction of that strategy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.