Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

IB Giving Fewer Tier Points in Short to Mid Haul??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2019, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC

Apologies if this has been addressed - feel free to move if so.

I'm looking at tier point runs for places with 80 TP segments in J. I was just looking at an IB booking LHR-MAD-TFS. According to the BA calculator, MAD-TFS will only be 20 TPs. I noticed the same for MAD-BIL. Is this because those are domestic destinations for IB? LHR-TFS direct would be the full 80 each way, but pricing isn't worth for it for my dates.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 3:05 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Yes Iberia domestic J is only 20TP
Cymro and george77300 like this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 3:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
IB domestic has always been 20 TP. IB mainland to the Canary Islands used to earn 40 TPs each way in business, but they all these routes got downgraded to 20 TPs in June 2018.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 3:43 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by KARFA
IB domestic has always been 20 TP. IB mainland to the Canary Islands used to earn 40 TPs each way in business, but they all these routes got downgraded to 20 TPs in June 2018.
Is there an echo in here?
Old Aug 8, 2019, 3:45 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by teledude
Is there an echo in here?
The OP asked about TFS. I was providing some information as TFS (and the other routes to the Canary Islands) did used to credit as 40 TPs until recently.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 4:26 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
I certainly found KARFA's extra detail helpful, I still thought the Canaries got 40TPs.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 5:05 am

We should also explain that the 80TP level referred to in the OP is a BA-only level and isn’t available on other airlines, with the specific exception of UK-HEL routes on AY.
orbitmic, KARFA and george77300 like this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 5:22 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
We should also explain that the 80TP level referred to in the OP is a BA-only level and isn’t available on other airlines, with the specific exception of UK-HEL routes on AY.
I can't think of any 80TP routes where there is a non-stop OneWorld alternative, apart from LHR-HEL, so it's not so much a BA-only level as the fact that there is a very limited subset of routes where it applies, with BA having a near-monopoly. (EDI-HEL non-stop is in fact AY only although there is a BA codeshare).

On the other hand, DUB-HEL only offers 40 TPs and they don't offer enhanced TPs for e.g., CLT-LAS at 1,916 miles.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Cymro
I can't think of any 80TP routes where there is a non-stop OneWorld alternative, apart from LHR-HEL, so it's not so much a BA-only level as the fact that there is a very limited subset of routes where it applies, with BA having a near-monopoly. (EDI-HEL non-stop is in fact AY only although there is a BA codeshare).

On the other hand, DUB-HEL only offers 40 TPs and they don't offer enhanced TPs for e.g., CLT-LAS at 1,916 miles.
I would actually phrase it the same way as Ldnn1. As you very rightly say, if it wasn't BA only, people might expect routes of similar or additional length such as the ones you mention to earn 80 TPs too (there are quite a few examples, including with IB which, after all, belongs to the same owner as BA), but instead, for others 2,000 miles is the only threshold that matters.
Ldnn1 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 5:55 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by KARFA
The OP asked about TFS. I was providing some information as TFS (and the other routes to the Canary Islands) did used to credit as 40 TPs until recently.
Oh dear, oh dear. We really should have a language bar for moderators who, in a race to be the first to respond, forget proper grammar and punctuation.

Originally Posted by ENTP
I certainly found KARFA's extra detail helpful, I still thought the Canaries got 40TPs.
Though I do wish our friend learnt proper grammar.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:15 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Oh dear, oh dear. We really should have a language bar for moderators who, in a race to be the first to respond, forget proper grammar and punctuation.
Oh dear, oh dear. We should really have a bar for people posting about moderators, who, in a race to post about moderators, forget that the poster in question isn't actually a moderator.

Signed, a real moderator.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Aug 8, 2019 at 8:48 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.