Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking for Australia

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2019, 3:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
CI expérience

thanks all for the feedback on the experiences with CI. I am looking forward to it. I will report back (as a comparison to the usual OW suspects).
Old Aug 5, 2019, 4:03 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by tomdelay
thanks all for the feedback on the experiences with CI. I am looking forward to it. I will report back (as a comparison to the usual OW suspects).

Tom - I'm going in February and have booked with CX for £2200 ARN-AKL AND SYD - LHR. We are flying to ARN the day before and overnighting. As the ARN-LHR-HKG-AKL is all on one PNR (as is of course the return, I am happy that if the ARN runs late amd we miss the LH flight they will sort out the problem.
WickedStepMother likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Pucci - that sounds like a really fab itinerary! Well done on finding that. I am going in May and couldn’t find anything similar.
Stockholm is a great city - do pop into the Vasa museum if you have a bit of time (although I imagine you will already have been!)
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by teledude
First tip - look at flights from Oslo
Second tip - check Oslo again
Not sure I will never do ex EU from Oslo again

- Getting to Oslo wasn't easy when I went
- Norwegian didn't have same baggage allowance as BA, thus hefty exceeds baggage charge
- Oslo is kinda expensive for food, hotels, booze

Next time I will use miles and get to HKG in J and buy J to AU.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
Originally Posted by flyer200

Which is what we did. Another way of credit card with no FX fees - we used a (whisper it) Virgin Money Travel CC - not only 0% FX fees but 12 months interest-free credit. Mega useful for the $7500/£4200 bond on the motorhome hire!
Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Flights out of HKG are seriously expensive. If you want to go down that route, KUL is likely to be a much better choice.

What I'm about to say mainly makes sense if you're in London, but most BA fares at least allow a stopover in London, so you can (at the cost of a small stopover fee and some fairly heavy APD) travel to Norway without luggage and get back well in advance of the long-haul flights (e.g., the weekend before) - and do the same after your return leg.

Alternatively, GOT is super easy for a back-to-back - just make sure your luggage doesn't travel with you if it's a concern. Again, I appreciate that might be harder if you're coming from outside London of course.
nancypants and DiamondMile like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Cymro
What I'm about to say mainly makes sense if you're in London, but most BA fares at least allow a stopover in London, so you can (at the cost of a small stopover fee and some fairly heavy APD) ...
In J? < sound of hollow laughter >

It was probably another victory for all those who say that no matter how much UK passengers misuse ex-EU fares, BA will have no comeback. We are now paying the price.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Cymro
Flights out of HKG are seriously expensive. If you want to go down that route, KUL is likely to be a much better choice.

With respect, this is not my experience. I guess i depends on ones definition of seriously expensive

Just a thought
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
In J? < sound of hollow laughter >

It was probably another victory for all those who say that no matter how much UK passengers misuse ex-EU fares, BA will have no comeback. We are now paying the price.
Sadly you're right; stopovers are R class and above... still cheaper than London but not by nearly as much (and probably close to a Finnair round trip or Qatar sale fare out of London, depending on dates). This has changed fairly recently.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:32 am

With respect, this is not my experience. I guess i depends on ones definition of seriously expensive

Just a thought
Choosing a random week in November, you get £2,359 for HKG-SYD compared to £3,105 LHR-SYD on Finnair. Add in £600 of taxes and fees and you're saving about £100 pp over an all-cash booking that includes the same CX-operated flights.

KUL can have fares in J from under £1,500 even if you allow for the weaker pound.

So it's not just a question of how expensive the local market is - it's a similar length and price to LHR-DFW - but how much it costs compared to a fully cash booking.
DiamondMile likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.