Community
Wiki Posts
Search

This is a pre-judging announcement

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle

sure they weren’t assessing if you’d had a bit too much to drink already? (and ducks)
haha! I suppose possible. Bloody Australians and all that
Old Aug 4, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Brussels indeed.
Checking in TK business counter, casually dressed as I always do traveling long haul to BKK, all check in counters empty.
"Are you traveling business?"
Probably, if I am standing here....

Recently BKK airport, Thai Smile, Smile Plus counter after landing heavily packed and sacked from BRU.
Do you hold a Thai ROP frequent flyer card?
(Thai Smile will only accept ROP gold ff cards, nothing else, they haven't joined *A yet)
No.
Then you should move to the economy line.
But I bought a Plus ticket, this IS the Plus counter isn't?
She checked her terminal and insisted I move to economy line (no other pax in biz line)
I did hold a return ticket first segment in Y, return in J.
I had to open my hand luggage, get my printed booking, handed it over and she returned the piece of paper showing the first segment in Y.
Please check the date, today is the return segment in J....
Then at last she got it.
T8191 likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: AS MVPG (R.I.P 75K), DL, HH Gold
Originally Posted by steadman
To come to a forum that so heavily promotes the concept of judging and prejudging people to complain about being judged or prejudged is bizarre to say the least. I would say there are a lot of self esteem issues to be worked through.
Here’s how I work through mine: As a mature solo female traveler, I’m often prejudged, not by crew but by male pax. Regardless of cabin class, I’ll have one or two unsolicited offers to lift my roller overhead for me. After I effortlessly hoist my bag into the bin, I smile “sweetly” and reply, “I’m good.”
SK, flygirl68, T8191 and 5 others like this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by bon mot
Here’s how I work through mine: As a mature solo female traveler, I’m often prejudged, not by crew but by male pax. Regardless of cabin class, I’ll have one or two unsolicited offers to lift my roller overhead for me. After I effortlessly hoist my bag into the bin, I smile “sweetly” and reply, “I’m good.”
That strikes me, from my end of the telescope, as something any gentleman would offer to do ... without any undertone.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by T8191
That strikes me, from my end of the telescope, as something any gentleman would offer to do ... without any undertone.
so few of those around these days uncle T. Even fewer ladies 😉
T8191 and Hilde like this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by nancypants

so few of those around these days uncle T. Even fewer ladies 😉
Our lost World, sadly, but we both still try to fight the good fight.

There are a few of both genders here on BAFT, who we have met, so all is not lost!
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, SkyMiles Gold, Mucci deux fois
Originally Posted by LCY8737
Last night's CPT-LHR had a self important pensioner couple who couldn't believe the Group 1/2 boarding line was that long (it was) and pushed in at the front.
To be objectively fair and to give them the benefit of doubt/unfamiliarity, CPT boarding queues can be an absolute zoo. Many times I've seen people in the Group 3/4/5 line believing they are in the Group 1/2 queue.
I guess it's a circumstance of the boarding corridor width.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 2:27 pm

The way I understand judging is that it is pretty normal and desirable behaviour. I guess the OP is referring to the lounge agent acting on their judgement in error, however in school holidays I expect they get this a lot so I would be erring on the side of understanding and forgiveness - I bet their job is pretty challenging.
HIDDY and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bon mot
i dont think thats prejudged. thats good manners.

at least that's what granny told me.
wijibintheair and FinnRolo like this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 2:29 pm

Couple of years ago, I was a GCH and flying to the Caribbean in First. As I headed to the first class check in, a guy in red trousers was in front. He got a very cheery 'Good morning sir' as he strolled past. The guardian of the entrance then looked me up and down in my jeans and T-shirt and said 'This is for first class passengers'. I had my boarding pass on my phone so showed it to her and she let me through but no niceties were heading my way. How dare a 33year old scruff travel in first class?!
YacozA and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
This is one thing AA tend to do better. At priority Check-in they just uniformly ask everyone “first class or priority?” It’s the smart way to do it, simply verifying that you belong rather than assuming you do not.

For what it’s worth regardless of what I wear I’ve never had someone talk to me assuming I was in the wrong place, even when our family of 5 is flying in F. My wife says I walk with authority because I know where I’m going. Maybe she’s just flattering me. It does remind me of one time when someone asked me for directions in London, I replied with perfect directions in my American accent. The woman remarked in surprise that I’m not British. I replied that this may be true but I do know where I’m going. She smiled and followed my directions.

If someone ever told me I was in the lane for row 1 as if I didn’t belong I would probably reply along the lines of “I know, BA should really add a separate lane for first class and GGL, shouldn’t they?”

I wouldn’t take offense being prejudged, but I’m always ready with a witty response (at least in my head) should it ever happen.

Old Aug 4, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: BAEC - back to lowly blue. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by mikeday1983
Couple of years ago, I was a GCH and flying to the Caribbean in First. As I headed to the first class check in, a guy in red trousers was in front. He got a very cheery 'Good morning sir' as he strolled past. The guardian of the entrance then looked me up and down in my jeans and T-shirt and said 'This is for first class passengers'. I had my boarding pass on my phone so showed it to her and she let me through but no niceties were heading my way. How dare a 33year old scruff travel in first class?!
Maybe it was the box of Chicken McNuggets you were carrying?
Old Aug 4, 2019, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
I was in the queue (of two people including me) at T4 for a BOS flight in CW very early one morning (circa 6am). There was a lady manning the entrance to the club line who asked if I was in Club and I said yes producing my e-ticket just in case. I then decided to go and dump the trolley as my case had wheels. Upon my return she had left the entrance and was midway down the Tensabarrier snake and a gentleman in a suit was asked whether he had status or a CW ticket to ascertain whether he was in the right queue. I walked down to them and simply stood behind him and wasn't questioned by the lady again, much to the amazement of the bloke in front. He said that I must be either famous, a regular or related to her as he normally got that speech every time yet I appeared immune.

I told him I was a regular and that most staff knew me on sight and that I'd never be seen dead in WT or WT+ hence the lack of questions .

I now travel abroad wearing a red and white Hawaiian shirt and normally in a premium cabin. I have have had a few odd looks from other passengers but nothing too serious.
At BOS just after the remodeling of terminal E had finished I was flying back from a holiday. I was slightly early for check in and had just started to walk down the empty club line as there was one person behind one of the club desks. They queried whether I was in the right line given I was in the CW/Sapphire line. I thought this was odd and as I approached closer to the desk I realised it wasn't a BA staff member. It was a cleaner, the check in staff had yet to arrive. I just said yes and waited for the staff to appear and start check in.

A few years back during the Fly introduction there was an enormous queue for the F check in area. There was a bloke patrolling the line asking passengers questions. I was one of the people who was queried and asked as to whether I was flying F or was a GCH. When I said F he said to come with him and I was walked over to the ticketing desks in the F area. I was checked in ASAP rather than standing in the line .
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by FoxtrotOscar
Interested to know when folk have been pre-judged by BA staff.

Two examples to share:

Arrived at LGW lounge this morning with 2 children. “I’m sorry sir, you can only guest one child into the lounge”. Had she checked the boarding passes she would have seen we were all in CE.

A few few years ago, travelling in F to Miami, admittedly wearing shorts. “i’m sorry sir, we are boarding by row number”, to which I politely asked if she could let me know when row 1 might be called...

No harm done and no offence taken on either occasion, but both totally avoidable...
Some years ago, flying LHR-GRU paid CW for the first time (previous times had been OpUp'd from WTP-CW), handing over our (2 lads) boarding passes to a chap at Galleries something or another, and being told "Sorry sir, Bronze/Ruby doesn't get you into business lounge" - as per my EC status - not even taking a look at the ticketed class

Did a HUACA to the second desk on the left a few moments later with a very welcoming lounge agent
Old Aug 4, 2019, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by GrahamClarke
I'm wondering - has anyone been asked to join the business or F check ins or boarding lines when they were actually in economy? So the reverse pre-judgement of the stories above.
I was at Paddington where I was on an el-cheapo ticket with no status (Blue and proud of it back then). This was back in the day when there was check in available at Paddington and I was using a bag I'd borrowed of my folks and it had a Gold luggage tag on it, an old one of my dads. I was approaching the tiny, only 2 other pax + 1 being checked in, WT check in queue (nobody on the premuim check in desk) when the girl at the desk called me next.

The bloke at the front of the queue, who had queued (so I was told) for all of 5 minutes, was jumping up and down about this approached the desk and said he'd write a complaint/speak to the manager etc. Sadly he made a complete tw*t of himself. This in turn attracted the attention of the 2 British Transport Police officers who were about twenty feet away.

I handed over my details and said in a low voice that I wasn't a Gold card holder, and if the reason for moving me up the queue was the presence of the tag on my luggage then I would happily wait. She was very nice and said that it was, but don't worry about it, he'd never know, and as I was there now she might as well check me in. I removed the tag before the bag was put on the belt.

Once I had my tickets, I was about say sorry to the bloke and then head off to the HEX. The next person in line wasn't that bloke, I now knew why he'd never know. The police had taken him to one side and were still talking to him, telling him to calm down. Not yet had a Premier tag on my bag to have the same experience again . I don't use the Silver ones except very occasionally on cabin baggage and I do so normally with my vintage black metal Club World one.
wrp96, alpenlupe and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.