Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

One ticket for lounge access and one ticket for flying

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Tesco, Nectar

A question:

Lets say I am desperate to try GF T5 and book LHR-EDI with BA, but I actually intend to fly LHR-CDG on Air France.
Lets say I use my BA boarding pass to go through T5 security, spend some time in GF. I then check in online for the airfrance flight, and have an e-boarding pass. This is all ofcourse Hand baggage only.
I'm guessing I would then go to T5-T3 connections. But would the Air France BP actually get me through connections or work at the plane's gate, given its not been scanned at security?

In that case I'm guessing one would have to come clean and go to airfrance operations to enable "ready to fly" on the AF ticket.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I can’t address all the questions but I do know
(1) GF is not worth the trouble
(2) only T5 has ‘Ready to Fly’
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:19 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yeah it could be done, you'd need to build in a transit ride to T5C and a second run through security. And two bus rides to T4 during the tunnel work. But the SkyTeam lounge in T4 (where does T3 come into this?) is one of their better lounges, ok, not as good as GF, and is accessible on Priority Pass.

I do see some wacky ideas about lounge access in this forum, and this is right up the list, I have to say.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
I'd strongly question why you'd want to do this, but since you've asked the question, yes, I think this should be possible:
  • Go through T5 security and into GF, using your BA boarding pass.
  • When you've done whatever you wanted to do in GF, take the T5 transit train to satellite C.
  • Stay on the train at C, and you'll flow into the arrivals stream.
  • Follow the purple signs to Flight Connections, showing your AF boarding pass to whoever is interested (note that you're heading for T4, not T3 as in the OP!)
  • Get treated as if you were a genuine connecting passenger transferring onto your AF flight.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Can I just also add a reminder to canx your LHR-EDI ticket. 1. So it doesn't get charged ( i'm presuming your planning on booking fully flex?) but more importantly so that there isn't a plane load of pax sat on the plane waiting for you to turn up. I imagine this is within your plans but all the same please do remember to do so.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for humouring me guys.
The question is more for a general scenario I have pondered at times:
There are many Oneworld hubs where booking a Oneworld carrier is not economic for the desired itinerary. However it seems in some cases that throwaway tickets are practical/cost effective when considering the amenties at certain outstations (eg HKG massage/cabana for OWE in any cabin) and how cheap some throwaway tickets can be.(Also I may not stay OWE, so I want to experience the lounges at least once while I can)
Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Newbtravelle
.. However it seems in some cases that throwaway tickets are practical/cost effective when considering the amenties at certain outstations (eg HKG massage/cabana for OWE in any cabin) and how cheap some throwaway tickets can be.(Also I may not stay OWE, so I want to experience the lounges at least once while I can)
Indeed, however comparing CX First lounges at HKG with GF at LHR is futile. Why are you "Desperate" to try GF, surely as a BA Gold your desperation has been satisfied multiple times?
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 4:06 pm

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Newbtravelle
The question is more for a general scenario I have pondered at times:
There are many Oneworld hubs where booking a Oneworld carrier is not economic for the desired itinerary. However it seems in some cases that throwaway tickets are practical/cost effective when considering the amenties at certain outstations (eg HKG massage/cabana for OWE in any cabin) and how cheap some throwaway tickets can be.(Also I may not stay OWE, so I want to experience the lounges at least once while I can)
Why not book something departing T3? As OWE you'll have 7 lounges to access, some better (in my opinion) than GF, yet there's GF at T3 too
nancypants and george77300 like this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Deltus
Stay on the train at C, and you'll flow into the arrivals stream.
Haven’t taken the transit in (probably...) years but I seem to remember a security check and someone going from one end to the other before it turned back around?
Can’t remember if this was at A or at C gates (or both), but if I haven’t just made it up then they would likely have everyone alight and so one wouldn’t be able to stay on.
Or was it all just a dream?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by MNMAA

Haven’t taken the transit in (probably...) years but I seem to remember a security check and someone going from one end to the other before it turned back around?
Can’t remember if this was at A or at C gates (or both), but if I haven’t just made it up then they would likely have everyone alight and so one wouldn’t be able to stay on.
Or was it all just a dream?
That happens at A gates, no check at C gates.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 4:28 pm

Got it, thank you.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 4:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Some airports are more diligent though (e.g. the transit at PEK T3 is fully inspected at both ends), so you might be thinking of somewhere else rather than just dreaming
Old Jul 31, 2019, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by worldtrav
Indeed, however comparing CX First lounges at HKG with GF at LHR is futile. Why are you "Desperate" to try GF, surely as a BA Gold your desperation has been satisfied multiple times?
I'm extrapolating BAFT experience at LHR hypothetically with what could happen at HKG/KUL indeed. A throwaway ticket may be the best option for my upcomming itinerary, expecially given I may choose to not retain OWE for a long while - hence the desperation!
WickedStepMother likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
I salute the spirit of the OP. I once entertained the idea of buying a BA ticket with no intention to fly just to spend a few hours in GF Champaining and plane watching before retiring in a LHR hotel and then get on my morning flight to the US....

If you have enough time and you are that keen on spending time in GF then go for it! Just make sure you leave on time (and without too much Champ in your veins) to go through the transit, transfer and security at T4!
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

I do see some wacky ideas about lounge access in this forum, and this is right up the list, I have to say.
I would go further, and say that it’s at the very top of the list ! An award-winning idea, if judged in terms of originality.

OP : each to their own of course, but I genuinely hope that your self-confessed sense of ‘desperation’ does not stem from any description of the GF lounge which you may have read on ba.com ; because if so (and assuming your wacky plan should somehow come to fruition), then I fear that your desperation might well be swiftly replaced by a mixture of regret and disappointment
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.