Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelled Avios Flight

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2019, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Etihad Gold, Westjet Gold, Virgin Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHGold, CCGold, IHGPlat and Ambass
Cancelled Avios Flight

Hi

Was due to fly LHR to ABZ this morning in Club Europe Avios on BA1306 but got text at 0445 that flight cancelled and flight moved to 1610!

Searched to see no flights for sale all day and ready to accept move as need to get home! However also see that has been downgraded to euro traveller at back of plane!

im going to head to LH anyway as at airport hotel to see what they can do. Any views on compensation etc

My assumption is as Avios I just have to accept and that the avios points refund club to euro traveller will refunded but thought I would check with more experienced FTers than me 😀

Many Thanks

James
Old Jul 25, 2019, 11:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
BA's schedule is in tatters this morning, after yesterday's storms. You'll be very lucky indeed to find an earlier flight, and there'll be no compensation because the delay is weather-related.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 11:26 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Nothing much available I am afraid. If you want to wait until the last flight of the day there may be room in club.

Old Jul 25, 2019, 11:28 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by Misco60
BA's schedule is in tatters this morning, after yesterday's storms. You'll be very lucky indeed to find an earlier flight, and there'll be no compensation because the delay is weather-related.
Wouldn't be sure about the weather related: The bad weather has been over for a while now, and while the schedule chaos is no doubt a consequence of the weather, we are entering the space where BA's operational processes are what decides the speed of recovery.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 1:35 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by LCY8737
Wouldn't be sure about the weather related: The bad weather has been over for a while now, and while the schedule chaos is no doubt a consequence of the weather, we are entering the space where BA's operational processes are what decides the speed of recovery.
Let’s be realistic here rather than simply seeking to find fault. A significant number of flights were delayed and cancelled last night due to the weather. Fact. This has had a considerable impact on the location of crews and aircraft. Fact. This is fairly widespread. Fact. They simply cannot get the planes and crew back to LHR to operate the schedule today.

If this had been limited to a small number of flights then I would agree. But it wasn’t. Let’s not play the compensation card when frankly it isn’t going to wash today.
cbagent, LTN Phobia and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 1:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Etihad Gold, Westjet Gold, Virgin Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHGold, CCGold, IHGPlat and Ambass
Many thanks all

I wasn’t trying to find fault, just unclear of implications of being moved out of club to euro under avios circumstances.

And I aware of previous nights weather related chaos from the before when posted and therefore happy to have a flight back!

So under circumstances all good

cheers
Old Jul 26, 2019, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by Misco60
There is still the 75% refund of avios and fees that you'll be entitled to. Whether there are "Exceptional circumstances" does not matter when it comes to the 75% refund.
Cymro and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:15 am

The bad weather is most definitely not over!!!
Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cauchy
There is still the 75% refund of avios and fees that you'll be entitled to. Whether there are "Exceptional circumstances" does not matter when it comes to the 75% refund.
as noted there aren't any J seats unless the OP takes the last northbound flight - and those may well have gone too by now! If the OP takes the earlier flight to get home rather than wait is that an involuntary downgrade?
Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:31 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by cauchy
261 regs state 30% for a flight of this distance, not 75% for a downgrade. OP is probably better off simply claiming the difference.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
261 regs state 30% for a flight of this distance, not 75% for a downgrade. OP is probably better off simply claiming the difference.
Or going on the train, but they're not running either.
abligh likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
as noted there aren't any J seats unless the OP takes the last northbound flight - and those may well have gone too by now! If the OP takes the earlier flight to get home rather than wait is that an involuntary downgrade?
Well I think it ought to qualify for reimbursement. BA's rebooking software 'placed' the OP in a lower class, and that's all that's required to trigger the reimbursement.

2. If an operating air carrier places a passenger in a class lower than that for which the ticket was purchased, it shall within seven days, by the means provided for in Article 7(3), reimburse...
But as it's a short flight the correct amount is 30% rather than the 75% I mentioned, so the OP will be better off pursuing a fare difference.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Our messages must have crossed! Bingo!
Old Jul 26, 2019, 3:17 am

When the difference between Domestic Club and Economy is just an empty seat (and a drink/sandwich!), should BA not have moved the curtain forward to make sure they have no more Club seats for sale and opened up the maximum number of "any seat will do, I want to get home" opportunities?

They could then even charge Club prices for any walk-on fares!
Old Jul 26, 2019, 4:20 am

Programs: BA Blue, Avios, Accor Basic, IHG Gold
EDIT: This conversation moved faster than I thought!

As I read it, BA made the change before the OP got involved, which to me looks like an Involuntary Downgrade?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.