Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The local time is: five past eight.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2019, 5:33 am

Programs: BA Silver
I completely fail to understand how people can fail to understand the 24 hour clock.

I also completely fail to understand height in centimetres and body weight in kilogrammes, however!
florens likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 5:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
Hasn't anyone got any work to do?
Whaddya mean ?

I’ve been hard at it since zero seven forty five ......
Old Jul 26, 2019, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
...If you’re too daft to understand 2.15 is 2.15 the afternoon if it is the afternoon and not 2.15 in the morning, then should you be out travelling without a chaperone?
On arrival after my latest short hop from LHR to BHD with BA, the local time was announced followed by a short but yet uncomfortable pause before we were told ‘in the evening’

I certainly wouldn’t call the cabin crew daft.

Last edited by paul78; Jul 26, 2019 at 4:30 pm
Old Jul 26, 2019, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BarneyMcGrew
Probably pedantic, but having served in the military I do get sometimes annoyed when people use the phonetic 'oh' when they mean 'Zero'.

What time is it? - 'Oh nine forty five'.

It is 'Zero nine forty five'.

The letter 'O' isn't a number.

The same with telephone numbers:

00121 204 4002

is Zero Zero One Two One Two Zero Four Four Zero Zero Two.

not

O O One Two etc etc

BM
I disagree strongly on this one.

Since phone numbers began, the convention has been to use Oh for 0. It is only recently that zero’s use has increased.

So London was Oh-one before, and now oh-one-seven-one. I find that many zero-users say oh at the start of the area code and the switch to zero later on. Madness!

I have three 0’s in my phone number. The amount of time people convert it to zero when repeating it.

Keeping this BA, I had to ring OnBusiness a while back. I remember three membership numbers for them (not sure which one I can lose to make the correct two), and I had my credit card number to give too. The agent insisted on ‘converting’ my ohs to zeros. I think she was trying to make me forget all my numbers.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 6:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Welcome to Glasgow....where the local time is now 25 minutes until the pubs open.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Welcome to Glasgow....where the local time is now 25 minutes until the pubs open.
Pubs in Glasgow clearly open 25 minutes too late.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 6:22 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
I really don't care....
Old Jul 26, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Silver, IHG Plat
I know in Zambia they'll say "... It's 5 minutes after 20" or "I have a meeting at 15" takes some getting used to!
Old Jul 26, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by A P Yu
Welcome to Heathrow terminal 5, where the time is shown on your phone which most of you switched on before your allowed to do so
As this is the thread inspired by being pedantic "most of you switched on before you're allowed to do so"

The OP must be driven to distraction by the everyday use, misuse and mangling of the English language. The time is truly the tip of the iceberg and rather benign as these things go.
You're/Your
There/They're
Ask/Axe (There are a lot of people in London getting Axed questions)
Specific/Pacific (this one drives me particularly insane and it's native English speakers who are the usual culprits)
ppp909 likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BrianDromey
As this is the thread inspired by being pedantic "most of you switched on before you're allowed to do so"

The OP must be driven to distraction by the everyday use, misuse and mangling of the English language. The time is truly the tip of the iceberg and rather benign as these things go.
You're/Your
There/They're
Ask/Axe (There are a lot of people in London getting Axed questions)
Specific/Pacific (this one drives me particularly insane and it's native English speakers who are the usual culprits)

What I’m bothered the most by at the moment is the mixing up of past tenses and past participles.

I seen the A350 in Toulouse yesterday. I’ve went there before several times.
ppp909 likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Grief, how ridiculous. Who on earth speaks in 24 hours clock time? If you’re too daft to understand 2.15 is 2.15 the afternoon if it is the afternoon and not 2.15 in the morning, then should you be out travelling without a chaperone? I use the 24 hour clock in the car and the house, but until the BBC start calling it the 18 hundred hours news, then so shall I and not before.
I agree with you except if you are in the far north when there is 24hr sunlight/darkness... Then there may be confusion as to whether it is 215am or 215pm.

Originally Posted by RoyalSwazi
I once overheard the following conversation between a non-native English speaker and an American. Guess who was who.

Q: Are you on holiday?
A: No, I’m on vacation.
In the U.S., they usually associate holiday with the federally recognized holidays (Christmas, New Years, etc...)
Old Jul 26, 2019, 9:01 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by nas6034
In the U.S., they usually associate holiday with the federally recognized holidays (Christmas, New Years, etc...)
Indeed. Holidays in the US are what we would call Public Holidays in the UK. Everything else is a vacation.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by MarkFlies
So London was Oh-one before, and now oh-one-seven-one.
It has been quite a long time (20 years?) since London was 0171.
Geordie405 likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: All the usual suspects
Originally Posted by Misco60
It has been quite a long time (20 years?) since London was 0171.

Oh......!
Old Jul 26, 2019, 10:12 am
Suspended

Programs: BA/American
if BA made such announcements using the 24-hour clock, they would confuse all their US clientele.
FYI - In the US you’re better off using the preferred ‘big hand/little hand’ method.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.