Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA tier question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:15 am
Original Poster

BA tier question

i am a BA bronze holder and intend on flying BHX to Perth in October which will hopefully take me to silver.

However the cheapest business flight I can find is through Qantas but the flight is actually on Emirates.

Can you advise if this will will still qualify?

Thank you
Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:49 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Moving this to BA where you can get your question answered!

Ryandc99, Moderator Mileage Run Forum
Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
If QF is the carrier ticketing your flight (in essence you are buying a QF flight and not an EK one) then yes, you will earn avios and TP. It's a codeshare, so you'll enjoy EK biz class (which I personally prefer to QF) but will cash in the OneWorld perks of QF.

This is actually what I did a couple of times when flying to DXB and always worked very well!
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
OP, do you already have a flight in mind? Is it QF or BA coded or EK coded? If it's QF coded then you should be OK for TPs and Avios

Also don't forget that to get Silver on BA you will need to have taken 4 BA flights in your membership year and your flight is unlikely to build up that number - but you may of course already have your 4 BA flights.
george77300 likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 9:02 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
frandrake is quite right and here's a similar thread that may provide you with a little more insight and information.

BAEC Tier Points on QF Flight Number But EK Operated
Old Jul 25, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Of course, if you can fly from Oslo or Stockholm on BA, Cathay, Qatar or even Finnair, that may be massively cheaper again!
Old Jul 25, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: United 1K; Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Honors Silver
I have a question of my own. So I am looking to fly from Miami to South Africa on American/LATAM in Business Class, but am looking to credit it to BA since it seems that I would get BA Silver via TP. Problem is that the outbound would be flown in December and the return would be flown in January. I would most likely fly the 4 segments either before the end of the summer, or after the South African trip (still unclear). Would this all count towards status in 2020, or would I lose half of it in Dec to the 2019 membership year, depending on the when the BA segments are flown? Thanks in advanced!
Old Jul 25, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by crfgon
I have a question of my own. So I am looking to fly from Miami to South Africa on American/LATAM in Business Class, but am looking to credit it to BA since it seems that I would get BA Silver via TP. Problem is that the outbound would be flown in December and the return would be flown in January. I would most likely fly the 4 segments either before the end of the summer, or after the South African trip (still unclear). Would this all count towards status in 2020, or would I lose half of it in Dec to the 2019 membership year, depending on the when the BA segments are flown? Thanks in advanced!
BA membership years are not aligned with calendar years. On your BA account online it will tell you when the tier point collection year ends (the 8th of one month or another, I believe).
Old Jul 25, 2019, 2:43 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by abligh
BA membership years are not aligned with calendar years. On your BA account online it will tell you when the tier point collection year ends (the 8th of one month or another, I believe).
That's correct. Everyone's tier point collection date ends on the 8th of a month. You can see yours on the BA app by clicking the hamburger then selecting My Account. Scroll down and it will show you the date on the line that says "Tier Points collection year ends". If all your sectors are between now and that date then they will all accrue to the same membership year.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
If that helps I know BA often gives a few weeks (2) grace period should you need those TPs to qualify for a higher status, but it's not automatic - you need to contact BA and ask them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.