Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Pilot Strike - What does Balpa want?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2019, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Is that all they get? 80K? That pales in comparison to captains on US airlines and is also dwarfed by the ME and Asian carriers who import captains. They deserve a bump if that's all they are getting. I want my captains well paid.
I don't know about US, but the salary is on par with some of the ME carriers. I believe the captain salary averages around $110k on EK, though those on old contracts could be on better salaries. Obviously, they've got an advantage of it being tax free.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 4:37 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Post 2008, staff took pay cuts with the promise that the cuts would be reversed when the airline was in better shape financially. To date, the cuts have not been reversed,so that staff are not back to where they were in 2008. Basically they want to be "made whole" as was promised.
I fully understand but still think it is unlikely and unrealistic that they will get an uplift to bring them back to pre-2001/2008 levels, inflation adjusted or not. 11.5% plus profit share is attainable.

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Honouring promises never goes out of fashion.
Indeed. But pain today and jam tomorrow promises are rarely worth the paper they’re written on. I wouldn’t have trusted BA’s moral compass ten years ago and wouldn’t trust it now.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 4:52 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
One sticking point historically at BA related to Profit related bonuses is that BA have often wanted to link them to some performance measure / metrics - so to get the bonus not only the company had to do well, but also the individual had to prove that they had done their part to that success (e.g. successfully passed a performance review covering a number of competencies / behaviours). Some of the unions were always against any sort of performance component - but in the real world I don't think its too unreasonable. Someone, for example on a written warning, probably doesn't deserve one.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 4:59 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Also worth remembering those newbies will get whipped. My brother is one. There are some periods where he doesn't leave the office for two days straight. There's this 'break them' attitude in that industry.
Look at the way Louis Litt treats the associates in "Suits"......

Oh wait - that was fiction????
Old Jul 24, 2019, 5:21 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
The problem for the BA pilots is the general public at large, not those who frequent these boards, think the pilots are already paid enough and think they are being greedy and just wanting to ruin their hard earned holidays and other trips which they have been saving for months and cannot just change at the drop of a hat as most on here seem to be able to and could lose thousands of pounds. I am on several holiday type forums and no one is supporting the pilots.... just saying. By the way its not just BA its the potential strikes at Easyjet, Ryanair and Heathrow staff amongst others.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 5:30 am

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
Originally Posted by W213Sal
You don't want BA pilots on same wages as Ryanair pilots. Ryanair pilots have actually wised up and unionized.

Why not? Ryanair has an amazing safety record. They are the sole major airline to have never suffered a fatality.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a8309831.html

The job is the same. To fly form A to B safely an in accordance with the manufacturers / operators procedures.

Ryanair have customer service issues ( they are better than they were), the cabin crew speak with accents I cant understand over the PA, but the planes are new ( 25 year old 747 anyone) and they have an enviable safety record. So by all means slate the cabin crew of Ryanair but I dont see any reason to slate the pilots.
FlyerTalker688786 likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by jeremyBA
Why not? Ryanair has an amazing safety record. They are the sole major airline to have never suffered a fatality.
If that's the only metric by which you judge a safety record, then you're welcome to it. Those who have a genuine interest in aviation safety, from whatever perspective, may be a bit more sophisticated about the issue.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 5:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Ryanair has an amazing safety record. They are the sole major airline to have never suffered a fatality.
There are many airlines that have had no fatalities during the period that Ryanair has been operational.

Edited to add: A brief internet search reveals other major airlines that have never had a fatality, including Easyjet, Emirates, Etihad, Eva, Hainan, Qatar and Virgin.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by Misco60; Jul 24, 2019 at 5:48 am
Old Jul 24, 2019, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by LGWClosedAgain
11.5% over 3 years isn’t really worth getting out of bed for when you consider inflation.
realiy?
Inflation is running at 1.8%

its more than our company is paying (3,1%) over the next two years and as I pay for my own flights, not, as many on here get, company paid, why should I support such massive pay increases which will inevitably hit my picket? Or the many armed service Personnell, or NHS and Local government workers?
perhaps they should tax businesses more for their company bought flights....lol

FlyerTalker688786 likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by Misco60
There are many airlines that have had no fatalities during the period that Ryanair has been operational.
Including British Airways, I believe.
Misco60 and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 6:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
A bus driver always has an easy and safe trouble-shooting option: pull over immediately and stop. An airline pilot may find that a bit harder.
So nobody has ever been killed while travelling on a bus?
Old Jul 24, 2019, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Agent69
So nobody has ever been killed while travelling on a bus?
Do you really want to keep trying to equate the skill level of driving a bus to the skill level of an airline pilot? If so, why don't we set up two parallel airlines and see how far we each get?
Old Jul 24, 2019, 6:31 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Raffles
Worth remembering that a typical £80k captain package, which would take a long time to achieve, is identical to what a newly qualified solicitor receives at a 'magic circle' London law firm. (Sullivan & Cromwell offers £101,000 if you are newly qualified, Latham & Watkins very similar.) Many graduate bankers would expect a similar sum in year 2 if not year 1.
And worth noting that while the magic circle can get away with paying their newly qualified solicitors less than £90,000 at home, the market in the U.S. still forces them to pay their first year associates in their U.S. offices the same $190,000 salaries their competitors are offering.

If the market required them to, BA would find a way to pay their pilots decently. The strike could be that force.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Elite, HH Diamond

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a8309831.html

The job is the same. To fly form A to B safely an in accordance with the manufacturers / operators procedures.

Ryanair have customer service issues ( they are better than they were), the cabin crew speak with accents I cant understand over the PA, but the planes are new ( 25 year old 747 anyone) and they have an enviable safety record. So by all means slate the cabin crew of Ryanair but I dont see any reason to slate the pilots.
I'm not slating the pilots I'm commending them on becoming unionized as of last year, the only reason I said you don't want them paid the same as Ryanair pilots is because this isn't a race to the bottom
princeville and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
Originally Posted by W213Sal
I'm not slating the pilots I'm commending them on becoming unionized as of last year, the only reason I said you don't want them paid the same as Ryanair pilots is because this isn't a race to the bottom
<br />

But equally there is a marketplace, and within that a market price. The flying of an airliner to the required standard seem in effect to now be a commodity. Your dont even get to see them much anymore behind their closed doors.

This seems proven as promotions are based in huge huge part on time served not supreme ability. You have to understand the systems and fly it properly, hold the medical etc to get the job - so the entry requirements are high. It is probably the last industry where time served and hours flown are the almost sole determinate of seniority as opposed to ability.

Does hours flown make a difference. Absolutely. But there will be a point where you enter the law of diminishing returns as those hours will have allowed you to see a wide variety of weather, systems issues etc.

I know it would be nice to think of BA pilots as special but they will hold the identical licences to their colleagues, have identical line checks, medicals etc.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by jeremyBA; Jul 24, 2019 at 6:42 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.