Wiki Posts
Search

789 disruption

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA: Silver,
789 disruption

I have a LHR - AUH - LHR trip booked but was warned by Mrs O that she had heard that there might be disruption as the RR Trents are all undergoing an overhaul. There is nothing on the BA website and I haven't received an email from BA. Are there any gurus out there to reassure me that all should be OK or, indeed, confirm that I need to think about contingency plans.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 10:00 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If you do a search on the word "Trent" in this forum you'll get as much background as you would want, and then some. It has been going on for over a year now. AUH has had a few services cut at the beginning of July, and arrangements were put in place to use alternative services, notably BA's service to Dubai, which is just over an hour away from AUH's airport (it should be more than an hour, but the relevant highway is fast and furious). You could make other arrangements but I went to AUH a few days ago and didn't feel the need for a Plan B, given what BA has done in the past.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, then a handful of points on everything else.
BA does have a page about this in their "travel news", and it looks like they're leasing the Air Belgium aircraft until at least October to cover.

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...club/_gf/en_gb

Like other airlines around the world, we continue to carry out detailed precautionary inspections on Rolls-Royce Trent 1000 engines on some of our Boeing 787-9 aircraft to ensure we meet all the relevant regulatory safety requirements.

To facilitate the additional engine inspections and any associated maintenance we have had to make some minor adjustments to our long haul flight schedules this summer.
To ensure we operate as many flights for customers as possible we have leased an additional long haul aircraft from Air Belgium.

This aircraft will operate the following flights to and from Newark and Toronto and Cairo:
  • BA185 LHR-EWR, from 1 April 2019 - 8 June 2019
  • BA184 EWR-LHR, from 1 April 2019 - 8 June 2019
  • BA93 LHR-YYZ, from 9 June 2019 – 17 August 2019
  • BA92 YYZ-LHR, from 9 June 2019 – 17 August 2019
  • BA155 LHR-CAI 18 August 2019 - 31 October 2019
  • BA154 CAI-LHR 19 August 2019 - 01 November 2019
They will be operated by Air Belgium pilots and cabin crew.

We continue to work in conjunction with Rolls-Royce to minimise any disruption caused by these extra engine inspections and are sorry for the inconvenience these flight schedule and aircraft changes may bring to some customers. We have contacted our customers to offer them alternative travel arrangement.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA: Silver,
Thanks, I read the Travel News which focussed mainly on other destinations. DXB would not be a show stopper as long as the timings still fit for my onward travel... Oh and my current booking is in F, so would be a bit disappointing if I am bumped down to a J product.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.