Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LCY E190 operating limits

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:38 am
Original Poster

LCY E190 operating limits

Maybe a question for pprune, but I'm flying to Mykonos on what looks like a basically full flight and I cannot help but notice the short runway at LCY + high load + long flight + (potential hot weather) might make the operating conditions out of LCY difficult (specifically, using every inch of that runway to take off). Do BA E190 operations at LCY in these type of situations ever cause operational issues (e.g. having to undersell; difficulties with extra baggage; having to turn people away at gate etc.) or is it always 100% smooth?
Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:54 am

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
I know 2 separate incidences of this. Last summer a father of my daughter friend was off loaded on a flight to Mallorca and a few month prior to that a friend was offloaded on a flight to Malaga. The reason in both cases was given as aircraft performance not overbooking

So yes it happens.
george77300 and Nephoi like this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:00 am

Programs: BA GGL
+1 in May BA sought two volunteers to offload from LCY-PMI because the plane was too heavy for the takeoff conditions. Offer was €250 per pax, an overnight hotel and a seat on the first flight out in the morning.
george77300 and Nephoi like this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:06 am

Programs: BAEC
Happened on two flights I travelled on last summer LCY-IBZ. Both occasions it was a warm day (although morning flights so not peak heat). From memory I think they wanted 5-7 pax to volunteer to offload. £250 and put on the next available flight.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:22 am

It happened about 3 weeks ago on a flight to Split that I was waiting for the return of in Split.

My understanding from the crew was that the full outbound flight had boarded, during that process the wind shifted and the airport changed the runway direction to taking off to the west. This for some reason resulted in a few passengers having to be offloaded to reduce weight, due to the high fuel load required for the route. This caused the flight to be an hour late.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:23 am
Suspended

My flights to JMK and JTR from LCY in high season are never full, so some routes may be de risked.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:23 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Yesterday at LCY, the gate staff for a flight to IBZ announced they may need volunteers to offload, due to the heat causing weight restrictions. In the end it appeared not to be required, but clearly it was a possibility. I heard the turnround manager say that she “only had 70kg left”, but since I don’t have technical knowledge of such matters, I don’t know the context of that.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by APUBleed
... I'm flying to Mykonos on what looks like a basically full flight ...
ISTR from previous discussions that LCY-JMK is never "full" in the sense that every seat on the aircraft is occupied. The aircraft is payload restricted, so BA will not book the aircraft to capacity.

If you got the impression of "full flight" from zeroes on an availability display, that's another illustration of the fact that availability displays can sometimes tell you very little about how many bodies will be on board the aircraft. Trying to work out one from the other is (as I am frequently saying here) like trying to read tea leaves.
LTN Phobia, MarkFlies and APUBleed like this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Globaliser
ISTR from previous discussions that LCY-JMK is never "full" in the sense that every seat on the aircraft is occupied. The aircraft is payload restricted, so BA will not book the aircraft to capacity.
That is my impression, and when I did some of these Greek routes last year they (for example) blocked off the second seat for Club Europe single passengers regardless of status, and I watched J9 drop to J0 in line with this; and there was about 8 seats at the back left empty until OLCI, at which point there had been Y0 (but G9 for some reason!) for some time. Talking to a Skiathos captain he said that they blocked the minimum number of seats for "normal conditions" but on the day - depending on a wide range of factors - they would sometimes need volunteers or look at the baggage payload to see what they could do. It was less problematic at the Greek end, since take off from there generally was well within tolerances, but if they had to do something it would be problematic since it wouldn't be easy to tell a passenger to wait 4 days for the next BA flight. If they did, it would be staff travel that would be hit first, though there wasn't a lot of that.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by richardwft
My flights to JMK and JTR from LCY in high season are never full, so some routes may be de risked.
As in they stop selling to avoid this issue? (Never mind, answered above)
Old Jul 23, 2019, 2:18 am

Programs: BA Gold
The Greeks are sales capped to 72 (out of 98), although on extreme weather days, they may still ask for volunteers.

The longer Spanish routes are supposed to be capped at 95, but they'll still oversell that, often resulting in all 98 seats sold.

There are about 3 or 4 bad days each season, where they can remove upto 50 people across all of their weight restricted services. Most other days, it's 1-2 people per flight if needed.

They'll rebook to an alternative flight from LHR or LGW if available, provide transport and issued a debit card loaded with compensation. It's €250 for most routes, but AGP and the Greeks are long enough for €400.
SK, becks1, APUBleed and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 2:23 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by CitySlacker
They'll rebook to an alternative flight from LHR or LGW if available, provide transport and issued a debit card loaded with compensation. It's €250 for most routes, but AGP and the Greeks are long enough for €400.
Is this €250/€400 amount BA proactively offering EC261 compensation, or is it a separate gesture?
Old Jul 23, 2019, 2:29 am

Programs: BA Gold
It's the EC261 amounts, but issued on the spot in the form of a debit card, which you can use to withdraw the cash from an ATM.
armouredant and george77300 like this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 2:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by armouredant
Is this €250/€400 amount BA proactively offering EC261 compensation, or is it a separate gesture?
If you are a genuine volunteer then you are actually free to accept a lower figure than 250€ or 400€. As it happens these are the EC261 figures, which is due to involuntary denied boarding.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 3:13 am
Original Poster

So it sounds like I probably don’t have much to worry about Mykonos? Good to hear BA aren’t trying to overbook it too much. With most flights practically sold out and infrequent it will be a nightmare trying to rebook.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.